First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker
    The stupid sensors (who comprise over 60% of the students)
    I would be fascinated to learn where you got this statistic. As far as I know, there have been exactly zero studies that show how often sensors are subnormal. If what you say is true (and it isn't), it would be interesting, because it would mean that well over half of the population has an IQ below the normal range (which, of course, is self-contradictory).

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker
    In short, this amounts to the fact that it is simply useless to educate them as they will never take advantage of what they learned.
    Are you kidding me? You don't have to be intuitive or even intelligent to take advantage of reading, writing, and arithmetic. These are things that help anyone who has the capacity to learn them, which most sensors do.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

I actually found the whole post quite amusing. But yeh, the sensors point is not really valid. Both my sisters are sensors and both are pretty okay at everything. One is crazily good at science and the best editor I've seen (ISTP), and the other (ISFP) is on her third degree in different faculties, with the best grades in my family in science and humanities.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

SolitaryWalker

Amen brother/sister. In the United States there are at least two major problems. Our education system and our health care system are lousy.

I think that the only cure for both problems and perhaps to many of our problems is for adults to become self-actualizing self-learners.

Only when many of our adults have become Critical Thinking individuals will they recognize the problem and force changes. Presently our citizens lack the sophistication required to comprehend the problems that we face.

I have concluded that our only solution is to encourage enough adults to become self-actualizing self-learners such that together they form a critical mass sufficient to start an intellectual revolution within our society.

We have developed a technology that places great power into the hands of ordinary people. Our technology will destroy us if we do not quickly change our ways.

I liked Run's comment about how the problem with the education system is the the need for concrete proof of skill. Most people in the UK acknowledge that things have become too test oriented, and that limits most teachers in what they can do. When teaching becomes a case of just ensuring the minimum knowledge is passed on, then I'm not surprised that students just become bored. Have you not noticed that children, even most sensors love learning things when they are children but this love for education disappears as people get older. Now there could be multiple reasons to why this occured, but it's a case of asking why? Where did the passion for education disappear off to?

But still theres the fundamental question. Why do students have to care about attaining knowledge for knowledge sake as opposed to just wanting to get on with their lives? If they have no need for this information then it doesn't make much sense to push them forward, just in the same manner that I'm sure there is no reason for you to research topics you have absolutely no interest in.

What is all this understanding for?
    The complaint is that sensors are only interested in information for applicational purposes. But it would make sense that those interested in application, would be inclined to learn the theory behind things. Where is this idea that the minimum is needed in order to perform coming from?

Enneagram

I agree with Solitarywalker, but as usual, he didn't bother sugarcoating his opinions to be make his acidic remarks palatable. Education does not have a whole lot to do with intelligence or love of learning. Most people treat it as an obstacle so they can get their job and live their life as they see fit. So they cut corners and never truly grasp what is being taught. And why shouldn't they? After all, not everyone has to care about academia. But it is frustrating for those who care and have some glimmer of intelligence to watch dull, unremarkable people succeeding.

It is unrealistic to expect this to change, because universities want money, and catering only to the extremely intelligent would just be ignoring to many overflowing coiffures. High profile schools accomplish this to some degree, but let's not pretend Ivy League school admissions are based purely on merit.

It's hopeless SW, you are destined to post your frustrations with people of lesser logical faculties on internet forums to hostile responses forever more.

Moar like SW is attempting to apply his theoretical idea of sensors into reality which is failing miserably. The majority population contains sensors, but that does not mean that the majority is sensors. This is the constant fallacy that keeps being pushed forward. Thankfully most people realise that and thus object to his post, even if he had alot of valid points. It's not an issue of needing to sugarcoat his message at all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    When teaching becomes a case of just ensuring the minimum knowledge is passed on, then I'm not surprised that students just become bored. Have you not noticed that children, even most sensors love learning things when they are children but this love for education disappears as people get older. Now there could be multiple reasons to why this occured, but it's a case of asking why? Where did the passion for education disappear off to?
    That's such a good point

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    it is frustrating for those who care and have some glimmer of intelligence to watch dull, unremarkable people succeeding.
    This seems like it's a personal problem, more so than anything else.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Very well said, Jock.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Did you think none of us sensors would read that long post? Time for a flamewar, buddy.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]