123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default is this ethical?

Is it ethical to tell a student's parent that you think he/she has ADD or some other type of learning hindrance?

I remember in preschool my teacher told my mom I had a learning disability for some dumb reason and I ended up being top kid in my class in first grade.

MBTI
    INFP

If a teacher tells parents information like this with the intent to get a child the help he or she needs, I think it's perfectly ethical. I'd have a much bigger ethical problem with a teacher who suspected a learning disability in a student and didn't bother to tell the parents. When children are young, parents have a right to know these things in order to make decisions that are best suited for the child.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

Phantonym

The teachers might notice something the parents don't so I think it's ok to mention that there might be some concerns. This way the parents could start observing their kid more closely and if they do notice something, they can start looking for ways to help the kid.

Edit: Jewelchild beat me to it
    Last edited by Phantonym; 07-25-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Redundancy

MBTI
    INFP

Great minds, Sky.

Phantonym

Indeed, Jewel.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

I can just see a parent going "how dare you say such a thing. I live with the kid, and I think I'd know"

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I can just see a parent going "how dare you say such a thing. I live with the kid, and I think I'd know"
    Yes, it's the initial "What are you talking about, my kid is perfect!" reaction. But when it subsides, the parent will most likely start to observe their kid more closely and maybe see some things that they did not notice before.

MBTI
    INFP

It's not necessarily true that the parent would know best in this situation. Teachers are specifically trained to pick up on these sorts of things, and teachers also work with the child for longer periods of time in an academic environment. Granted, they may be wrong sometimes, or they may just dislike a student. However, no parent knows and sees everything, and a wise parent should be open to the opinions and assessments of others, especially educated, qualified individuals.

That being said, parents can still make decisions based on what they think or sense is the best thing for their kid. Some people give me advice about my child, and even though I don't like it, I realize there is truth in it and I should pay attention. Others give me advice, and after thinking it over, I dismiss everything they've said as ridiculous. But still, it's better to at least bring a concern to the parent's attention so they can decide what to do about it.

Hey a teacher suspected my older brother of having ADHD he ended up being highly intellectually gifted and just awfully bored with what he was learning (or rather relearning) in kndergarden. I think it's the job of any teacher whether they teach preschool or high school to observe the child in order for that child to get the help they need. Teachers are with the students for a good part of the day 5 days a week so of course they would pick up on something that a parent might not pick up on. Especially in families where both parents are working or in a single parent situation where the parent works multiple jobs.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    INTP

Warning: kids who are independent and thoughtful often get labeled with behavioral problems and learning disorders.