User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Higher Purpose

Default Higher Purpose

What gives you a sense of higher purpose?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

protecting those close to me and ensuring our mutual success

preserving our personal freedoms at any cost
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Naively thinking I can carve my own path with my particular skill set and refusing predictability and monotony in my life.

The pursuit of knowledge.

In the "garbage higher purpose" category : immaturely trying to fool the expectations of others (ego boosting with unpredictable persona). Impulsive changes in life direction. The Siddartha syndrome in a sense.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Doing things that make people appreciate life gives me a higher purpose. If I can do those things in a novel or impressive way then I give myself double points.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    infp

When I listen to music I get an intuitive sense that that is what I should be doing. When I play music the same thing happens. I feel like I should be standing on some mountain as the sun rises so the whole world can hear.

Of course, this is ultimately suppose to make people feel good/inspired.

Higher purpose? After spending all my life under the cruel yoke of christianity I'm really enjoying utter meaninglessness of human existence. Having some universal purpose or meaning for life would suck anyway.

You want to do [whatever]? Too bad. You need to be in church/meditating your earthly desires away/studying the word of god/paying penance/fasting/denying yourself/auditing your thetans/praying or whatever.

Everyone should just do what they want to do without appealing to grandiose notions of purpose and meaning.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Everyone should just do what they want to do without appealing to grandiose notions of purpose and meaning.
    No.

Without any sense of meaning, life becomes oppressive due to the sheer meaninglessness of it all. Add in a regular dose of news reports about, say, infants dying because they were left in car seats in a parking lot all day, and you're on the fast track to suicide.

Which of course is a reasonable option in a meaningless world. But it's not a happy trip.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    No.

Without any sense of meaning, life becomes oppressive due to the sheer meaninglessness of it all. Add in a regular dose of news reports about, say, infants dying because they were left in car seats in a parking lot all day, and you're on the fast track to suicide.

Which of course is a reasonable option in a meaningless world. But it's not a happy trip.
    Not entirely true. I find existence to be devoid of meaning, and I'm not particularly inclined towards suicide.

Only an optimist would think death would improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    No.

And Jesus/Allah/The Force/whatever you may believe in let that kid die.

There cannot be objective universal meaning in life. There's meaning in life because god(s)(ess)(es) said so? Why does that jerk get to make the rules? There's meaning in life because you said so? Fail.

I'm saying that we should each decide the meaning of our own lives without appealing to some nonexistent universal authority.

MBTI
    INTJ

What does grandiose notions of purpose and meaning have to do with a universal authority. We are perfectly capable of creating our own garndiose notions of purpose and meaning based on what is important to us.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume