User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Higher Purpose

MBTI
    INTJ

Nothing. There is noe higher purpose, only personal purpose, the purpose you make yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Without any sense of meaning, life becomes oppressive due to the sheer meaninglessness of it all.
    For most it will lead to passive nihilism, like it has for me, for some it will lead to active nihilism.

Quote Originally Posted by http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=622534
    Passive nihilsim is indicative of a decline in spiritual power. It is characterized by the inability to create, or in the extreme to react. The passive nihilist is one who, when faced with the world's uncertainty, withdraws and refuses to enagage the world. For him, uncertainty is a sufficient condition not to proceed through life, and so paralysed by fear of the unknown and unknowable he does nothing. Nietzsche described this condition as ".. the weary nihilism that no longer attacks..a passive nihilism, a sign of weakness".

Active Nihilism on the other hand, is indicative of a relative increase in spiritual power. the active nihilist sees freedom where the passive nihilist sees absurdity or meaninglessness. He chooses action and creation instead of passivity and withdrawal. For him, the lack of objective standards of truth motivates self created standards and criteria. The active nihilist is not active despite the unknown but because of it. He possesses a store of creative energy and power which allows him to impose personal meaning on the world while never forgetting that hes is the source and progenitor of that meaning. He is heroic in this sense, facing the world with courage and purpose.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think we are debating over what exactly constitutes higher purpose. Is it something that comes from a higher authority, or something that is higher than any other purpose (in our own mind)?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Higher purpose? After spending all my life under the cruel yoke of christianity I'm really enjoying utter meaninglessness of human existence. Having some universal purpose or meaning for life would suck anyway.

You want to do [whatever]? Too bad. You need to be in church/meditating your earthly desires away/studying the word of god/paying penance/fasting/denying yourself/auditing your thetans/praying or whatever.

Everyone should just do what they want to do without appealing to grandiose notions of purpose and meaning.
    Isn't there anything that gives a sense of "This is what I was made for."? Nothing at all?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Isn't there anything that gives a sense of "This is what I was made for."? Nothing at all?

Not at all. I just am, everything just is. To think that I am here for a purpose would be horribly narcissistic of me. However I do consider it my self appointed mission in life to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

MBTI
    INTJ

Not at all. I just am, everything just is. To think that I am here for a purpose would be horribly narcissistic of me. However I do consider it my self appointed mission in life to kick ass and chew bubble gum.
    Interesting. It's comments like this that reaffirm my belief in MBTI.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    infp

Beleiving in god is not the same as higher purpose. Beleiving in a higher power isn't the same as higher purpose, either. Higher purpose can just be something that you should really be doing, whether that is soemthing you are "destined" to do or something you would simply be good at and would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Beleiving in god is not the same as higher purpose. Beleiving in a higher power isn't the same as higher purpose, either. Higher purpose can just be something that you should really be doing, whether that is soemthing you are "destined" to do or something you would simply be good at and would enjoy.
    When I read higher purpose, reason for one's existence, anything that would imply that there is a plan then who's plan would that be? No amount of wishful thinking can change the fact that we exist without rhyme or reason.

I may just be misunderstanding the OP, if the question is "what makes you feel useful in life" then I got nothing for that either.

MBTI
    INFP

My belief in heaven, a perfect paradise of pure bliss, gives me a higher purpose. It tells me that I am not doing this only for others, but myself, and a higher being who wishes that I be perfectly happy. I don't think I can believe in a world of pure science where I may be viewed as lacking any free will or just the same as animals. If that was so, I would rather die, but I don't want to die. Really I would rather believe a seemingly dreamy world of insanity which has no proof of itself, than a cold world which has equally no proof of itself or any to disprove the other.

Not at all. I just am, everything just is. To think that I am here for a purpose would be horribly narcissistic of me.
    Why is it narcissistic to feel think or believe you have a higher purpose (if you believe everyone does)?

However I do consider it my self appointed mission in life to kick ass and chew bubble gum.
    I always wondered what people meant when they say "kick ass". Maybe it is Asperger's, or maybe it is because I don't really have a primary language, but I have a lot of trouble interpriting that phrase as anything other than the very literal (and usually wrong) interpretation.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Why is it narcissistic to feel think or believe you have a higher purpose (if you believe everyone does)?
    I think that by nature virtually everything we do is motivated by looking out for #1.

I always wondered what people meant when they say "kick ass". Maybe it is Asperger's, or maybe it is because I don't really have a primary language, but I have a lot of trouble interpriting that phrase as anything other than the very literal (and usually wrong) interpretation.
    It normally just means do/be awesome.