• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fear: Better to have too much or too little?

Fear: Too Much or Too Little?

• Too Much Fear: Sheletered, closed in, safe, comfortable.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Too Little Fear: Reckless, Naivity, Experienced, Threatened

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Can't decide.

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is it better to have too much fear and live a very sheltered life where bad things will seldom occur? Or to live a life without fear which can in turn mean that you are often naive and end up in danger and trouble occasionally?

I know that you should have no fear to begin with, because fear is relinquished with awareness, but we all have it regardless. If you had to pick between the two options only which one would it be and why?

Remember that having too much fear will limit the potentially good experiences you have, but also keep you away from harm and trouble for the most part.

And having too little fear means you often run into danger and trouble. Getting hurt, going to jail, or hurting others are all possible outcomes of not having a lot of fear. Understand that you can be incredibly naive and that the world really is your oyster in which there are a lot of very good, but also very bad, things waiting for you.

I'm only giving these two options because I want you to pick one. I know most of you would like to have a balance between the two, which is the best way to go, but let's assume you can't have a balance between the two.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I simply cannot decide.

That is why I made this thread to see what others opinions are.

Convince me!

P

Phantonym

I think I would choose too little fear. I'd like to try that "Ignorance is bliss" and "Live life to the fullest no matter what consequences" feeling for once in my life. I cannot imagine doing it indefinitely though. As you said, OWS, balance is preferred.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I might agree with you on this one. But it is such a hard decision that it's still a bit fuzzy.

Great start, though. It's a three way tie between 3 voters! :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being fearless is somewhat idolized in many cultures. I'm not sure which to pick, so to debate I'll pick being fearful is better because it seems less likely to be picked in general.

Because human beings have the ability for abstract thought, we are not limited by our external circumstances. In this way we can still explore and engage in life without external stimuli. Take Emily Dickinson for example. She explored a great deal of thought and meaning, and reached much of her potential all the while living out her life in one little home from which she rarely ventured. It is not necessary to place oneself in physical danger to be an explorer as a human being.

We have a natural instinct to avoid dangers as all animals do. If you look at animals in the wild, they don't typically take unnecessary risks, but would prefer to sleep and eat in their little territories throughout their lives without eventful happening. It is primarily domesticated animals and people who actually seek out excitement. It simply isn't natural. What is the purpose of it? If we give in to natural instinct to self-protect we increase the possibility of longer life.

So it is natural to do whatever it takes to remain safe. At the same time, we are not that reliant on our environment for growth. Combine these two ideas, and what is the purpose does taking unnecessary risks outside of the purposes we impose on it?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Being fearless is somewhat idolized in many cultures. I'm not sure which to pick, so to debate I'll pick being fearful is better because it seems less likely to be picked in general.

Because human beings have the ability for abstract thought, we are not limited by our external circumstances. In this way we can still explore and engage in life without external stimuli. Take Emily Dickinson for example. She explored a great deal of thought and meaning, and reached much of her potential all the while living out her life in one little home from which she rarely ventured. It is not necessary to place oneself in physical danger to be an explorer as a human being.

We have a natural instinct to avoid dangers as all animals do. If you look at animals in the wild, they don't typically take unnecessary risks, but would prefer to sleep and eat in their little territories throughout their lives without eventful happening. It is primarily domesticated animals and people who actually seek out excitement. It simply isn't natural. What is the purpose of it? If we give in to natural instinct to self-protect we increase the possibility of longer life.

So it is natural to do whatever it takes to remain safe. At the same time, we are not that reliant on our environment for growth. Combine these two ideas, and what is the purpose does taking unnecessary risks outside of the purposes we impose on it?

Ooh, very good point. Internal vs. External. I hadn't thought of that, and Emily Dickinson was a great example, for she reached levels locked up in her room that most people who've traveled the globe could have never came to.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
That's a tough one. I almost want to pick fearless because it seems you'd have more fun in life that way. If you spend your whole time in your safe place, too afraid to do anything, what are you really getting out of it? I don't think anyone would really be happy living that way.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's a tough one. I almost want to pick fearless because it seems you'd have more fun in life that way. If you spend your whole time in your safe place, too afraid to do anything, what are you really getting out of it? I don't think anyone would really be happy living that way.

Somebody could put up a perfect argument against you, too. That's why this is such a tough question...

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
I've found that with too little fear there can be issues with motivation.
'You' don't care about the consequences and so are unmotivated to do as 'they' ask, even even if noncompliance results in gaol time or failing a paper. Rebel.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
haha, what Trope just said. Totally. It can lead to boredom.

There's always something to fear, though, to give you that rush of excitement of being too close to the edge. That's good, or else I probably wouldn't know how to live.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would have to go with can't decide.

I have moments where i fear, and others where i don't.
Its a balancing act to not tip the scales one way or another.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Having no fear to cloud my thoughts would be ideal. Good decisions will keep me safe. Fear is redundant.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Chose too little fear as the preference.

Fear is what causes the majority of our conflicts. Fear of self protection, fear of a threat to our families and our cultures. The frame of fear leads us to be close minded and defensive, instead of taking the risk to really listen to someone else. Fear might stop us from the consequences of attack or losing our power, but fear makes us instantly vulnerable the moment we give in to it.

I would rather live with little fear and much hope. I would overcompensate for the lack of fear with education and observations. I would listen more, I would make real constant effort to put myself into the "shoes" of another to understand what they are communicating it as they understand it.

To better illustrate this, think of the last time you had a conflict with someone you know, someone you work with maybe, that ended being fuelled solely by miscommunication. Think about that moment when you realized what the source of the conflict was, to understand, you had to take a risk and stop thinking about your own protection and defences to see the situation from their perspective.

Fear is the cage we imagine and obey. There is no chance of integral vision being achieved to its greatest potential when fear is looking over your shoulder.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have NO fear.

I am at peace with myself, my life, and my purpose here on Earth.

Existing as such allows me to follow my instincts with precision.

I have a good heart, and am of good intent, therefore I do not fight what my heart compels me to do.

Fear is the state of not wishing to accept the responsibility of rising to one's true potential.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have NO fear.

You fear nothing? I wish I had some way to test you. To me lack of fear implies lack of understanding, but it does confer amazing benefits. Insensitivity to fear allows you to accomplish truly amazing things.

I don't have a problem with fear except to the degree that it interferes with Life. Some fears are useful in avoiding problems that would unnecessarily impact my life. Other fears are purely ridiculous and these I would gladly slough off.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I should clarify, I don't fear anything, but there are elements of life to be respected, and it's the thrill of working close to the edge that most people would interpret or feel as fear that gives me the rush that I love.

I have momentary flashes of apprehension sometimes but nothing that interferes with my ability to deal with the situation. In fact, it's that adrenaline rush of "fear" that enables me to do even better at achieving whatever results I'm aiming at. I'd hardly call that the same thing as what most people mean by fear, though.

Bunco

MBTI Type
ISTj
You could make a case either way. I'm personally a firm believer that living in fear isn't really living at all. Balance is key though.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
"Too much" and "too little" are subjective terms. Hopefully life experience and wisdom/common sense/street smarts gives you an objective sense of probability (how likely X action is to have X outcome, how likely it is that walking home at 3am covered in cash yelling "MUG ME!" will end up with you unhappy, etc.) but otherwise, PSSSSHH, fear is overrated and it does not help you.

"Modern man" is still wired for living in the wild outdoors hunting and being hunted. Back then, things were brutal and threats to our safety and lives WERE everywhere. Luckily, for a lot of people today, not so much.

A lot of the physical responses we get now to traffic, crowds, barking dogs, etc. are just not appropriate anymore and misplaced.

People who have "no fear" when it comes to business, especialy entrepeneurship get called stupid and/or crazy all the time, but no entrepeneur who let fear hold them back ever made it.

Some people say you should be scared of life, some people jump in anyway, and some people ARE scared but say to hell with it and try to give it a go.

Boo to "too much" fear, I say! Boo!

*PS* I know I cannot spell. I did it on perpuse.