User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fear: Too Much or Too Little?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too Much Fear: Sheletered, closed in, safe, comfortable.

6 18.75%
  • Too Little Fear: Reckless, Naivity, Experienced, Threatened

21 65.63%
  • Can't decide.

5 15.63%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    Bald

I've found that with too little fear there can be issues with motivation.
    'You' don't care about the consequences and so are unmotivated to do as 'they' ask, even even if noncompliance results in gaol time or failing a paper. Rebel.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

haha, what Trope just said. Totally. It can lead to boredom.

There's always something to fear, though, to give you that rush of excitement of being too close to the edge. That's good, or else I probably wouldn't know how to live.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would have to go with can't decide.

I have moments where i fear, and others where i don't.
    Its a balancing act to not tip the scales one way or another.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTj

Having no fear to cloud my thoughts would be ideal. Good decisions will keep me safe. Fear is redundant.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Chose too little fear as the preference.

Fear is what causes the majority of our conflicts. Fear of self protection, fear of a threat to our families and our cultures. The frame of fear leads us to be close minded and defensive, instead of taking the risk to really listen to someone else. Fear might stop us from the consequences of attack or losing our power, but fear makes us instantly vulnerable the moment we give in to it.

I would rather live with little fear and much hope. I would overcompensate for the lack of fear with education and observations. I would listen more, I would make real constant effort to put myself into the "shoes" of another to understand what they are communicating it as they understand it.

To better illustrate this, think of the last time you had a conflict with someone you know, someone you work with maybe, that ended being fuelled solely by miscommunication. Think about that moment when you realized what the source of the conflict was, to understand, you had to take a risk and stop thinking about your own protection and defences to see the situation from their perspective.

Fear is the cage we imagine and obey. There is no chance of integral vision being achieved to its greatest potential when fear is looking over your shoulder.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I have NO fear.

I am at peace with myself, my life, and my purpose here on Earth.

Existing as such allows me to follow my instincts with precision.

I have a good heart, and am of good intent, therefore I do not fight what my heart compels me to do.

Fear is the state of not wishing to accept the responsibility of rising to one's true potential.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I have NO fear.
    You fear nothing? I wish I had some way to test you. To me lack of fear implies lack of understanding, but it does confer amazing benefits. Insensitivity to fear allows you to accomplish truly amazing things.

I don't have a problem with fear except to the degree that it interferes with Life. Some fears are useful in avoiding problems that would unnecessarily impact my life. Other fears are purely ridiculous and these I would gladly slough off.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I should clarify, I don't fear anything, but there are elements of life to be respected, and it's the thrill of working close to the edge that most people would interpret or feel as fear that gives me the rush that I love.

I have momentary flashes of apprehension sometimes but nothing that interferes with my ability to deal with the situation. In fact, it's that adrenaline rush of "fear" that enables me to do even better at achieving whatever results I'm aiming at. I'd hardly call that the same thing as what most people mean by fear, though.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ISTj

You could make a case either way. I'm personally a firm believer that living in fear isn't really living at all. Balance is key though.

MBTI
    GONE

"Too much" and "too little" are subjective terms. Hopefully life experience and wisdom/common sense/street smarts gives you an objective sense of probability (how likely X action is to have X outcome, how likely it is that walking home at 3am covered in cash yelling "MUG ME!" will end up with you unhappy, etc.) but otherwise, PSSSSHH, fear is overrated and it does not help you.

"Modern man" is still wired for living in the wild outdoors hunting and being hunted. Back then, things were brutal and threats to our safety and lives WERE everywhere. Luckily, for a lot of people today, not so much.

A lot of the physical responses we get now to traffic, crowds, barking dogs, etc. are just not appropriate anymore and misplaced.

People who have "no fear" when it comes to business, especialy entrepeneurship get called stupid and/or crazy all the time, but no entrepeneur who let fear hold them back ever made it.

Some people say you should be scared of life, some people jump in anyway, and some people ARE scared but say to hell with it and try to give it a go.

Boo to "too much" fear, I say! Boo!

*PS* I know I cannot spell. I did it on perpuse.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari