123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Carter's Reasoning for Leaving the Baptist Church

I consider this a pretty big deal (similar to Anthony Flew's admission there might be a deist style of god).

Losing my religion for equality
    Jimmy Carter

Women and girls have been discriminated against for too long in a twisted interpretation of the word of God.

I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service....(read rest)
    Thoughts? Feelings? Reflections? Problems/Holes?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

It sounds like he just doesn't agree with the SBC's interpretation of the Bible, but is remaining a practicing Christian with his own interpretation?

Sniffles

Let me guess, he resorts to citing "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

Which requires a gross misinterpretation of Scriptures, not to mention lack of understanding of the historical context in which those words were given.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Let me guess, he resorts to citing "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

Which requires a gross misinterpretation of Scriptures, not to mention lack of understanding of the historical context in which those words were given.
    You can always check yourself, instead of guessing.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ BEFORE YOU WRECK YO SELF
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You can always check yourself, instead of guessing.
    Yeah I could, and have. Not to mention I had a short convo about this last night elsewhere. Not to mention such remarks are a dime a dozen these days.

I know how this all goes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Are you part of a particular denomination? What are your views on gender relations?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Are you part of a particular denomination?
    Yes I'm Catholic.

What are your views on gender relations?
    Long story short: Men and women are of two different -abeit complementary- natures, and gender relations should be based upon mutual respect. Nevertheless, it's important for women to submit to the authority of men.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah I could, and have. Not to mention I had a short convo about this last night elsewhere. Not to mention such remarks are a dime a dozen these days.
    Oh. I just read it again and didn't see the quote you noted anywhere (and didn't notice any paraphrasing of it either).

*shrug*

I know how this all goes.
    I guess. Especially when it starts like that.

Not a biggie, I don't want anyone to put themselves out there if they feel like they're just putting a target on their back.

I'm probably even more interested over the notion that an ISFJ steeped in the Baptist church with that much notoriety could feel strongly enough to take that sort of stand on an issue like this. I don't see that much.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh. I just read it again and didn't see the quote you noted anywhere (and didn't notice any paraphrasing of it either).
    It's still implied. It's really hard to argue for "equality" under Christian precepts without reference to this - directly or indirectly.