User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    InTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I'm not demanding you to believe. I'm asking you to learn how to say: I don't know.
    Why would I do that, when there is a whole body of evidence which it would be violating if it was true.
    You see, you seem worship a god called Science. The thing about Science is..it's the only god we know to be fallable as it was in fact created by man
    I don't think I worship science I am more inclined to accept a body of evidence which has been peer-reviewed then to accept anecdotal claims.

This we do know for sure. Science may one day explain all these phenomena, and I look forward to that day. But I will not judge these things to be invalid just because Science tells me that he has no way of proving these phenomena and therefore validating them.
    This is like the fallacy of the "God of the gaps" argument.

That would be like refusing to watch TV as I have no clue exaclty how that thing works despite hearing rumors about how if you push the power button, something magical will happen.
    You've lost me.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Clearly, I have. Unfortunate. I'll stop derailing now, but I'd love to see this body of evidence against spiritual practices someday.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Banned
    MBTI
    InTJ

Clearly, I have. Unfortunate. I'll stop derailing now, but I'd love to see this body of evidence against spiritual practices someday.
    Laws of Physics - Introduction to the major laws of physics

Oberon

King's got his own religion, don't let him fool you. He's a materialist.

Materialists hold as a matter of faith that only what is physically tangible, or that which may be logically extrapolated from the physically tanglible, is real. It facilitates a certain authoritarian approach to rhetoric, but is at its heart dogmatic, like all fundamentalism.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

Materialists hold as a matter of faith that only what is physically tangible, or that which may be logically extrapolated from the physically tanglible, is real. It facilitates a certain authoritarian approach to rhetoric, but is at its heart dogmatic, like all fundamentalism.
    I was aware of that, but thanks for explaining it so clearly. Now how do you get them to stop feeling threatened ( or so it would appear) by people that don't share their religion?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Banned
    MBTI
    InTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

I am actually not a materialist, I am a solipsist, but that is a mute point.

MBTI
    ISTx

No good stories.

heart on fire

^ See the movie "Affinity." Creepy Seance story! (Did I spell that right?)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not demanding you to believe. I'm asking you to learn how to say: I don't know. I don't have any way of knowing (yet). You see, you seem to worship a god called Science. The thing about Science is..it's the only god we know to be fallable as it was in fact created by man. This we do know for sure. Science may one day explain all these phenomena, and I look forward to that day. But I will not judge these things to be invalid just because Science tells me that he has no way of proving these phenomena and therefore validating them. That would be like refusing to watch TV as I have no clue exaclty how that thing works despite hearing rumors about how if you push the power button, something magical will happen.
    Quantum mechanics was "true" before we "discovered" in in ~ the 1920's. Newtonian Mechanics was true before Newton and Galileo "discovered" it. Relativity was true before Einstein "formulated" it in the 1900's and before its math was "discovered" in the 1890's [note: some of its math is still not worked out to this day]. Viruses and bacteria were "true" before we saw them with microscopes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My single Ouija board experience was that I peed in my pants before my friends and I even opened the box cause I was too scared