User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Unhappy Islamic terrorism and the silent majority.

Right, so, I'm not going to pretend to have a balanced perspective on this. What I see is through casual visits to some of the more major news sites like CBC, CNN, or BBC.

It seems that every other day something has been blown up - a hotel, a police station, a grade school, with the intent of causing as much damage as possible with a blast against civilian targets, tourists, and businessmen. Sometimes a particular group takes credit, but other times none do.

Religion is usually cited as the cause. Religion removes the fear of death from the attackers and provides justification to hurt those people. It's a hardline stance that allows no negotiation.

Something which has interested me however, was the bit of reporting done in the post-9/11 environment that went on to explain that these people are a vast minority. The majority of practitioners do not feel this hate, this compulsion. Moderates if you will. It was a refreshing if brief respite from the constant drone of "blah blah hate the west blah kill you blah".

Now here's where I start to lose focus. If they are the majority, a majority opposed to such actions, why are they such a silent majority? Why is there no focused backlash against this behavior internally? Tempers are very quick to flare over slights to islamic culture from the west, but the opposite, hate against the west, seems to be handled only in very muted, diplomatic tones.

I get the sense that I'm missing a lot of the picture. I'd like to read some books on this. If anyone can recommend some good reading with a balanced and experienced persective, I'd be grateful. Or if anyone has an opinion themselves I'd also love to hear it.

MBTI
    INTP

According to the CIA, Islamic "terrorism" is blowback from the shenanigans the US and others pull in Muslim homelands and they predicted a long time ago attacks would come. Chalmers Johnson even wrote a book about it called "Blowback" based on their analysis. Suicide attacks are nothing new or unique to Muslims. The Japanese had kamikazes for example. It seems more to do with desperation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I know exactly what you mean man. My parents are stationed in an Islamic country and I go to an international school and I know a lot of muslims and a lot of them don't feel hateful towards the States in any way. But when the aspect of extremism comes up, they like completely avoid discussion and I'm just like wtf hah, but yeah what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Or if anyone has an opinion themselves I'd also love to hear it.
    The problem is that the Koran teaches jihad and martyrdom. It teaches domination of dhimmi and the conversion or killing of infidels.

And the Koran is the word of Allah.

Yesterday we had two well executed mass murders carried out by the Islamists. And yet the Islamic majority remain silent.

Silence means assent.

MBTI
    INFP

My impression is that there is a silent minority who genuinely hate this sort of thing and would oppose it if they felt safe to, and a silent majority who really don't care that much about what's done by extremists so long as they themselves are free to enjoy the benefits of the West.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that the Koran teaches jihad and martyrdom. It teaches domination of dhimmi and the conversion or killing of infidels.

And the Koran is the word of Allah.
    its spelled Quran

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Muslims used to have the most powerful empire on the planet, an empire 'given' to them by Allah. But that empire went into decline. I've known many Muslims who, instead of viewing this decline as just another part of human history, really take it personally. It's like they have injured pride, as a group.

I'm not saying all Muslims feel this way, but this feeling is more common than many non-Muslims realize. They don't actively support terrorism, but they don't feel outrage over it, either.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think the silent majority, or moderates, in this matter don't want to talk about it because they fear counter-persecution against them. They KNOW islamic extremism just straight up LOOKS BAD, like pure EVIL, and they probably feel like talking about it openly will get them lumped in with them.... so they don't tell you their feelings on the matter, whatever they may be.

Muslims in this country are basically so worried about getting rounded up into concentration camps from our terrified government and populus, that they themselves are terrified. They don't even want to THINK about what ilsamic fundamentalism means in the real world, and can you blame them? if you were a stranger in this land, a land that looks at you with scorn and dubiousness in its eye, would you be comfortable talking about it?

MBTI
    ISTx

Like Vic said, the Quran teaches what they practice... Islam is a religion of violence. Are all Muslims violent people though? No. I think it's shown in any religion that the followers will pick and choose their methods of worship according to what's comfortable to them. Even if you are promised an eternal reward for martyrdom, a lot of people would be hesitant to adopt the life of a militant. A majority of people desire peace and not to stir up turmoil.