User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that the Koran teaches jihad and martyrdom. It teaches domination of dhimmi and the conversion or killing of infidels.

And the Koran is the word of Allah.
    I'm not a Muslim, I'm not inclined to religion in any way, but i've got to say the bible is full of genocide incest and rape. The old testament god was a raving loony, technically you could use it to justify all sorts of things.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers Superstar View Post
    I'm not a Muslim, I'm not inclined to religion in any way, but i've got to say the bible is full of genocide incest and rape. The old testament god was a raving loony, technically you could use it to justify all sorts of things.
    + 1
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Like Vic said, the Quran teaches what they practice... Islam is a religion of violence. Are all Muslims violent people though? No. I think it's shown in any religion that the followers will pick and choose their methods of worship according to what's comfortable to them. Even if you are promised an eternal reward for martyrdom, a lot of people would be hesitant to adopt the life of a militant. A majority of people desire peace and not to stir up turmoil.
    By reading the Bible, especially the old testament it's pretty easy to assume that Christianity and Judaism are also religions of violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    By reading the Bible, especially the old testament it's pretty easy to assume that Christianity and Judaism are also religions of violence.
    Not if you understand the relation of the old testament to the new testament.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

For various reasons, Muslim nations also have a massive surplus of young men, which has a high correlation with violence in society (guys who can't get any and are frustrated tend to be a little punchy).

The ones who tend to be suicide bombers are the "losers" in society and had already been somewhat marginalized in the first place. This goes along with the common reaction of "I never knew he was capable of such a thing" - they never knew because they never got to know him.

The silent majority does nothing because they aren't paying attention.

Sniffles

The relationship between Christianity and violence is a rather complicated and paradoxical issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Most of the violence of Christianity is in the past, though a few pockets still exist, mostly in the United States. Some in Africa.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Most of the violence of Christianity is in the past, though a few pockets still exist, mostly in the United States. Some in Africa.
    Well that's probably more to due with historical developments within the Western world(among which being atomic weapons).

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Not if you understand the relation of the old testament to the new testament.
    Even if I don't debate that point do you still think that Judaism is a religion of violence?
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Sniffles

Concerning Christianity......

"Chivalry supported conflicting responses to Christ's death: either a desire to take revenge against those who killed him or a willingness to forgive his persecutors....I call the first response sacrificial, because it calls for the taking of life to avenge the loss of another and thus perpetuating cyclical violence. I call the second response antisacrificial, because it opposes the taking of life and seeks to bring the cycle of violence to a halt. Chivalry, I argue, not only made both responses available to knights and to their modern descendents but validated a third response, self-sacrifice, that conflated prowess and piety and blurred the lines between sacrifice and antisacrifice."
    -- Allen Franzten Bloody Good: Chivalry, Sacrifice, and the Great War pg.3

Of course the concepts of "sacrifice" "anti-sacrifice" "self-sacrifice" used here is based upon the work of Anthropologist René Girard.

Perhaps we need to reframe the question being asked here.