• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Accepting Jesus will save your soul...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did you miss the part about the tract being her tip? That's just lame. If he had also tipped her I would be agreeing with you.

I never said it wasn't lame.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I never said it wasn't lame.

I don't know about you but I'm not glad there's guys who do lame stuff around. :)

For the record, I have been on the receiving end of proselytization much pushier than being talked to/given a tract. It's not pleasant and I don't recommend it. I'm always grateful when someone simply speaks their mind, perhaps offers literature, and then moves on. I'm not so fragile I can't listen and draw my own conclusions, if they are not being otherwise coercive. But that is irrelevant to the current topic, IMO- not leaving a tip is just crap, and leaving any kind of advertisement instead is adding insult to injury.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would have been downright offended at him offering me a brochure about his religion at my place of work. Would you?

What that guy did was absolutely ridiculous. I would be totally offended. I would ask him "why" when he did, and then I'll bet that he couldn't answer that question.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well.. while I'm not religious... if you truly believe that someone is going to Hell if he or she doesn't confess his or her sins and you like the person.. you might want to remind that person since you want him or her to go to Heaven in the afterlife..

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But that is irrelevant to the current topic, IMO--not leaving a tip is just crap, and leaving any kind of advertisement instead is adding insult to injury.
Is that really the main contention? Customers decide what tips they give employees. When you make a tip "mandatory," you may as well just raise the price and not ask for tips.

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Seriously though, I'm glad there's guys like that around. It might have been just the message she needed to hear that day. And if not, well, life goes on. Different people have different approaches, and EVERYBODY has an agenda. The fact that any agenda that comes with a religious label is horrifying to some people has always puzzled me. If the dude had given her a pamphlet of car wash coupons, would there be a topic about it? Probably not, and even if there was, it wouldn't have brought Solitary or Victor out of their caves to pimp their agendas most likely.

Though it might puzzle you but some of us are repulsed by self righteous zealots trying to force-feed us their retarded dogmas with a smile.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Is that really the main contention? Customers decide what tips they give employees. When you make a tip "mandatory," you may as well just raise the price and not ask for tips.

"Here's a tip, waiter - you might want to give better and faster service if you want people to leave some change behind!"

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living. Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living.

Yeah, I think the company is probably trying to benefit from smaller payroll, etc., not having to pay taxes/fees on that part of the employee's salary and so on. Maybe small businesses couldn't even afford the tax increase and go under? I am going to guess the practice started decades ago where employees would make excellent tips due to the cultural reinforcements, so the businesses balanced things by reducing wage. Unfortunately the culture changed but the practice did not, which can sometimes leave employees in a lurch.

Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.

When I was younger (like, teenager), my resources were limited and I just resented the social shackles demanding I pay extra money "just to follow the etiquette." Nowadays, I tip 15% for average service and 20-25% for really good service; I guess it's like tithing in concept, I just accepted it as a given and moved on.

There was an interesting argument about tipping in the opening of Reservoir Dogs... although of course I have no idea what any of this has to do with Bible tracts!

Unless the Bible tract has been signed by Jesus Christ or Jerry Falwell or Pope Ignatius, it just doesn't seem like a fair shake to me. :D

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living. Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.

This makes a decent case for min wage. I feel empathy for people who make barely any base wage and work a location with poor tipping.

We have min wage here, so my tipping is based on the quality of service. It's a bonus. If service is bad I leave nothing. If service is good I leave 10%. If service is exceptional I leave 20%. I really do appreciate the rare server who somehow materializes at the exact right time.

I'll have to make a note to myself that my tipping habits here might not be considered fair elsewhere.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Though it might puzzle you but some of us are repulsed by self righteous zealots trying to force-feed us their retarded dogmas with a smile.

Once again, I think most times the "force-feed" is in the eye of the beholder. Are there overly-aggressive preachers of certain dogmas? Of course. But there are also plenty of people who are branded that way that really don't fit that description at all, and the mentality of the person describing them is simply too closed off to accept any alternative viewpoint to their own when it comes to matters where a religious label applies.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Your religion is your own personal thing. It ruins a religious experience to bring in society. Once you've made it social, you've lost what a spiritual practice is all about.

This guy obviously doesn't get it.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your religion is your own personal thing. It ruins a religious experience to bring in society. Once you've made it social, you've lost what a spiritual practice is all about.

This guy obviously doesn't get it.

Stop trying to force-feed me your "religion should be kept to myself" views!! :newwink:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Stop trying to force-feed me your "religion should be kept to myself" views!! :newwink:

You got me! I was subliminally trying to brainwash you by turning it around!

But you caught me! I'll take the sign down..:doh: