veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Did you miss the part about the tract being her tip? That's just lame. If he had also tipped her I would be agreeing with you.
    I never said it wasn't lame.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I never said it wasn't lame.
    I don't know about you but I'm not glad there's guys who do lame stuff around.

For the record, I have been on the receiving end of proselytization much pushier than being talked to/given a tract. It's not pleasant and I don't recommend it. I'm always grateful when someone simply speaks their mind, perhaps offers literature, and then moves on. I'm not so fragile I can't listen and draw my own conclusions, if they are not being otherwise coercive. But that is irrelevant to the current topic, IMO- not leaving a tip is just crap, and leaving any kind of advertisement instead is adding insult to injury.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I would have been downright offended at him offering me a brochure about his religion at my place of work. Would you?
    What that guy did was absolutely ridiculous. I would be totally offended. I would ask him "why" when he did, and then I'll bet that he couldn't answer that question.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well.. while I'm not religious... if you truly believe that someone is going to Hell if he or she doesn't confess his or her sins and you like the person.. you might want to remind that person since you want him or her to go to Heaven in the afterlife..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

But that is irrelevant to the current topic, IMO--not leaving a tip is just crap, and leaving any kind of advertisement instead is adding insult to injury.
    Is that really the main contention? Customers decide what tips they give employees. When you make a tip "mandatory," you may as well just raise the price and not ask for tips.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Seriously though, I'm glad there's guys like that around. It might have been just the message she needed to hear that day. And if not, well, life goes on. Different people have different approaches, and EVERYBODY has an agenda. The fact that any agenda that comes with a religious label is horrifying to some people has always puzzled me. If the dude had given her a pamphlet of car wash coupons, would there be a topic about it? Probably not, and even if there was, it wouldn't have brought Solitary or Victor out of their caves to pimp their agendas most likely.
    Though it might puzzle you but some of us are repulsed by self righteous zealots trying to force-feed us their retarded dogmas with a smile.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Is that really the main contention? Customers decide what tips they give employees. When you make a tip "mandatory," you may as well just raise the price and not ask for tips.
    "Here's a tip, waiter - you might want to give better and faster service if you want people to leave some change behind!"
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living. Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living.
    Yeah, I think the company is probably trying to benefit from smaller payroll, etc., not having to pay taxes/fees on that part of the employee's salary and so on. Maybe small businesses couldn't even afford the tax increase and go under? I am going to guess the practice started decades ago where employees would make excellent tips due to the cultural reinforcements, so the businesses balanced things by reducing wage. Unfortunately the culture changed but the practice did not, which can sometimes leave employees in a lurch.

Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.
    When I was younger (like, teenager), my resources were limited and I just resented the social shackles demanding I pay extra money "just to follow the etiquette." Nowadays, I tip 15% for average service and 20-25% for really good service; I guess it's like tithing in concept, I just accepted it as a given and moved on.

There was an interesting argument about tipping in the opening of Reservoir Dogs... although of course I have no idea what any of this has to do with Bible tracts!

Unless the Bible tract has been signed by Jesus Christ or Jerry Falwell or Pope Ignatius, it just doesn't seem like a fair shake to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTx

I would love it if they did that, because then I would not need to fret about whether I need to tip and if so how much. But most places don't do it that way. In most restaurants tipped employees get paid something like $2.50 an hour, so they actually do rely on tips to make a living. Neglecting to tip for anything approaching adequate service is not okay IMO.
    This makes a decent case for min wage. I feel empathy for people who make barely any base wage and work a location with poor tipping.

We have min wage here, so my tipping is based on the quality of service. It's a bonus. If service is bad I leave nothing. If service is good I leave 10%. If service is exceptional I leave 20%. I really do appreciate the rare server who somehow materializes at the exact right time.

I'll have to make a note to myself that my tipping habits here might not be considered fair elsewhere.