User Tag List

12 Last

Default What basic things do we owe other people?

How obligated are we to care for our fellow man?

What, if any, are the basic things that should be provided to another person that forms part of our localized society?

Are our obligations strictly material-food, housing, and so on, or do our obligations actually extend into emotional, spiritual, or intellectual support?

Do we owe these things to another, even if they refuse to provide them in a reciprocal fashion back to us?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

We're not obligated to help anyone. Engaging in trade is useful (i.e. relationships), though, and is usually worth significant sacrifices.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Besides owing our neighbor our obedience to the law, we do owe them their chance for freedom.

If you deny their freedom, you deny your own.

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, binds us all irrevocably
    can't think of anything else really ... unless you're talking about etiquette etc.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Freedom. Any common courtesy you expect for yourself.

I tend to live by the golden rule when possible, and extend empathy by nature.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Freedom. Any common courtesy you expect for yourself.

I tend to live by the golden rule when possible, and extend empathy by nature.
    Yes, about the golden rule, I had run into a bit of a snag with that and still do to this day. I wanted to be told the truth and so I told everyone else the truth and yet they banish me and fled. Logically, they do not want truth, they want lies. So I lied to people like I wanted to be lied to and everything just clicked, except I wasn't telling truth.

To that end, I've discovered that truth is cruel. And I like being cruel to myself in this manner, while the reflexive isn't true. Hence I modified the golden rule.

"treat others as you would like to have them treat your alter-ego"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Dignity and respect. Everything we owe follows under those two things.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

We don't really "owe" anyone anything except tolerance.

However, I do advocate offering things to other people that we may not owe them, out of simple compassion and a desire for connection.

MBTI
    intp

I don't believe we owe much besides refraining from positive harm - shouldn't injure, kill, steal, etc. I despise forced charity. I find it debasing.
    That doesn't mean we don't give what we don't even owe: respect, support, etc. But I prefer to live by the golden rule.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I don't think we owe the world or anybody anything. Steal, cheat and lie if you want. Just be aware of the effects that it may bring either externally or internally.

More realistically though: I like to think that people should operate out of compassion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

These two questions are only to be answered "in principle" (i.e. ignoring the difficulty of putting it into practice, which is a different question entirely).

Do you feel the need to respectfully use resources so that younger generations aren't more screwed over than they have to be?

Do you feel the need to "do your part" (however little that part may be in practice) for those people in the world who don't have basic human rights? (Clean water, nourishing food, the right to not be enslaved for any purpose, etc.)

I consider those responsibilities of every human, to be enacted in whatever way suits them personally, even if it's just the small act of voting for or against something, or being relatively conscious of where the things you buy are coming from... I don't think any one person needs to feel the burden of those who don't have basic human rights, but I think we owe the small effort here and there.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis