• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What basic things do we owe other people?

sculpting

How obligated are we to care for our fellow man?

What, if any, are the basic things that should be provided to another person that forms part of our localized society?

Are our obligations strictly material-food, housing, and so on, or do our obligations actually extend into emotional, spiritual, or intellectual support?

Do we owe these things to another, even if they refuse to provide them in a reciprocal fashion back to us?

redacted

We're not obligated to help anyone. Engaging in trade is useful (i.e. relationships), though, and is usually worth significant sacrifices.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Besides owing our neighbor our obedience to the law, we do owe them their chance for freedom.

If you deny their freedom, you deny your own.

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, binds us all irrevocably

can't think of anything else really ... unless you're talking about etiquette etc.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Freedom. Any common courtesy you expect for yourself.

I tend to live by the golden rule when possible, and extend empathy by nature.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Freedom. Any common courtesy you expect for yourself.

I tend to live by the golden rule when possible, and extend empathy by nature.

Yes, about the golden rule, I had run into a bit of a snag with that and still do to this day. I wanted to be told the truth and so I told everyone else the truth and yet they banish me and fled. Logically, they do not want truth, they want lies. So I lied to people like I wanted to be lied to and everything just clicked, except I wasn't telling truth.

To that end, I've discovered that truth is cruel. And I like being cruel to myself in this manner, while the reflexive isn't true. Hence I modified the golden rule.

"treat others as you would like to have them treat your alter-ego"

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
We don't really "owe" anyone anything except tolerance.

However, I do advocate offering things to other people that we may not owe them, out of simple compassion and a desire for connection.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I don't believe we owe much besides refraining from positive harm - shouldn't injure, kill, steal, etc. I despise forced charity. I find it debasing.
That doesn't mean we don't give what we don't even owe: respect, support, etc. But I prefer to live by the golden rule.

Snow Turtle

I don't think we owe the world or anybody anything. Steal, cheat and lie if you want. Just be aware of the effects that it may bring either externally or internally.

More realistically though: I like to think that people should operate out of compassion.

Usehername

On a mission
These two questions are only to be answered "in principle" (i.e. ignoring the difficulty of putting it into practice, which is a different question entirely).

Do you feel the need to respectfully use resources so that younger generations aren't more screwed over than they have to be?

Do you feel the need to "do your part" (however little that part may be in practice) for those people in the world who don't have basic human rights? (Clean water, nourishing food, the right to not be enslaved for any purpose, etc.)

I consider those responsibilities of every human, to be enacted in whatever way suits them personally, even if it's just the small act of voting for or against something, or being relatively conscious of where the things you buy are coming from... I don't think any one person needs to feel the burden of those who don't have basic human rights, but I think we owe the small effort here and there.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you feel the need to respectfully use resources so that younger generations aren't more screwed over than they have to be?

Do you feel the need to "do your part" (however little that part may be in practice) for those people in the world who don't have basic human rights? (Clean water, nourishing food, the right to not be enslaved for any purpose, etc.)

Yes, I do. I don't feel that I "owe" them those things, but I would definitely choose to do them because I care.

If someone else told me, "you owe them those things," I might actually refuse to do them out of spite. I don't like being told I owe anyone anything when they haven't given me anything.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
These two questions are only to be answered "in principle" (i.e. ignoring the difficulty of putting it into practice, which is a different question entirely).

I consider those responsibilities of every human, to be enacted in whatever way suits them personally, even if it's just the small act of voting for or against something, or being relatively conscious of where the things you buy are coming from... I don't think any one person needs to feel the burden of those who don't have basic human rights, but I think we owe the small effort here and there.

While I think the phrase "Now I'm reducing carbon footprints for 2" is a bit extreme, I do think it's a nice idea to be reminded that we are stewards of this planet. But living with respect to nature isn't about the children, it's about removing our personal arrogance and understand that we need our environment. We need to take care of our exploitations not for our children, but for ourselves. (If you think about it, if we don't, our retirement will be spent sleeping in sewage. Our children will have the opportunity to bail out and fly to mars)

On the subject of people who don't have basic human rights. There are good ways and bad ways of doing it.

The most fucked up way of helping another is through charity. While the third world charity funds sound wonderful and uplifting, this is extremely detrimental for the country. If they really wanted to better themselves, then they would. Honestly. They would seek out the help, they would fight. The troubles they have now aren't caused by their own doing, it's because we're over there giving them free money. We've enslaved them into a nation of beggars. Never give money because you think it's a good idea, because you give them the power the destroy themselves.

In all those decades of giving, there still isn't a transcontinental railroad in africa. why? how stupid is that? There's no infrastructure in all those years of money giving. This is because they aren't interested. Not seriously enough to do something about it.

Africa: the next chapter

The good way of doing it is to leave them alone, or get your ass in there and help instead of talking about it and having that cover your guilt. It doesn't help. Follow in the footsteps of Neil Turok and how he wants to help the first african einstein.

Neil Turok makes his Ted Prize wish

All in all, the country must be able to lift itself out without any charity. It must do it through trade. Otherwise, you'll have a spoiled child looking for the easy way out.

Basic rights are earned and fought for, never given. If given, it comes in the guise of freedom and compassion, but with the intent to enslave them all. You owe them the freedom to help themselves struggle and grow in their own way as we have fought and struggled. Then party with them for their well earn pride.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
do not do to others what you would not like to be done to you.

What do ENFPs, ISTJ and INTJs have in common? Fi. Fi is selfish feeling. That may be one reason ENFP/ISTJ and ENFP/INTJ relationships work. They understand each others selfishness.

ENFJs and INTPs have Fe. Unselfish feeling. We don't understand Fi. People with Fi probably don't understand Fe.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

What do ENFPs, ISTJ and INTJs have in common? Fi. Fi is selfish feeling. That may be one reason ENFP/ISTJ and ENFP/INTJ relationships work. They understand each others selfishness.

ENFJs and INTPs have Fe. Unselfish feeling. We don't understand Fi. People with Fi probably don't understand Fe.

That's not accurate.

(change it quick before the lynching!)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think negative aspects of Fi are capable of being selfish, but doesn't necessarily mean they always are... (Granted, Fe is my 4th function and Fi is my 8th, so I don't know how credible I am here). The more undeveloped to function, the more you may experience its negative aspects, so you may be more likely to come off as selfish (whether that was your intent could be another story). So on the surface, a 25-year-old ESFJ (1st function Fe) might appear to be less selfish than a 25-year-old INTJ (3rd function Fi still developing)... but that doesn't mean the INTJ -is- selfish. ... I hope that makes a lick of sense. Some Ne come translate for me.

Edit: I crossed that all out after seeing how long and all-over-the place this thread was: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/18803-fi-selfishness-related.html

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
How obligated are we to care for our fellow man?

What, if any, are the basic things that should be provided to another person that forms part of our localized society?

Are our obligations strictly material-food, housing, and so on, or do our obligations actually extend into emotional, spiritual, or intellectual support?

Do we owe these things to another, even if they refuse to provide them in a reciprocal fashion back to us?

If we adopt concern for our fellow man the specific circumstances will take care of themselves. For example, one cannot recommend a strict course of action as each situation is different. But, if we operate under the attitude of caring for our fellow man we will be led to the proper behavior.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
We ought to owe others nothing other than the right to be treated fairly. Requiring more would reward noncompliance.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Nobody can force you to be "good". If you have a conscience give back, if not don't. How you give back is a personal choice. Different things matter to different people.