• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your ultimate goal in life?

coberst

What is your ultimate goal in life?

I can remember two times in my life when I seriously asked my self the question “What are my plans for the future?”

The first time occurred about a year after high school when I decided I wanted to be an electrical engineer. I had been working as an apprentice electrician for many months and had several contacts with an engineer and this impression led me to decide to be an engineer.

I planned several proximate goals that were necessary to reach my goal of becoming an engineer. I had to go into the army so that I could go to school on the GI Bill and then I had to complete my college engineering education.

The second time that I seriously thought about a proximate goal occurred about 15 years into my career when I pondered just what I wanted for a long term goal for my self.

Life is filled with proximate goals and the decision of just what means is best followed to achieve those particular goals. Now I am pondering what my ultimate goal is. I suspect that I have always had some kind of unconscious ultimate goal but it was one that I had not consciously and seriously thought about nor consciously desired.

“What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but suffer the loss of his soul?”

I was raised as a Catholic and taught by nuns; this question was often in the fore front of much of what the nuns taught me. I suspect that this was pretty much what most Christians, Jews, and Muslims were taught. It appears that the three major religions, and perhaps most all religions, taught that the ultimate goal for all men, women, and children must be “save your soul above all else”.

Have we mixed a very dangerous cocktail here because we have developed a technology that places great power into the hands of ordinary people; many, if not most, of whom have as their ultimate goal the “saving” of their soul rather than the saving of life on this planet?

Isn’t it easy to see why many people find that their ultimate goal in life, i.e. to save their soul, fits quite satisfactorily with the ultimate desire for eternal life? Isn’t it easy to see how such individuals might find that using WMDs is not the worst thing they might do if it will help them save their soul and have eternal life?

Can our species last much longer when we have such a dangerous cocktail ready mixed for instant drinking?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soul?

I think that a lot of churches are completely corrupt. I would trust them about as far as I can throw them. I don't tend to pay attention to their nonsense generally (just from my experience).

My goal is happiness, and how I get happiness is through accomplishment.

Interesting thing to think about-if everyone saved their own soul, the whole of the planet would need no saving.

P

Phantonym

My ultimate goal in life. Sounds like an essay topic. I have a seemingly very simple goal. Basically, being able to face myself in the mirror. Having peace of mind. No matter what I do in life or what kind of person I become, waking up in the morning and going to bed in the evening, being able to look myself in the eye and not feeling ashamed of what I have done or what I have become.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
24 hour hedonism.

Is that a serious answer? lol... Doesn't sound too bad actually.

This is a really hard question, we are filled with so many idealisms...You can't expect people to know the answer right off the top of their heads.

I think what I truly want is to be free.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't have an ultimate goal, at least yet.
I don't have even goals currently.
I just am what I am in this situation.
And I'm quite happy, I guess. ;)

Snow Turtle

My ultimate goal in life. Sounds like an essay topic. I have a seemingly very simple goal. Basically, being able to face myself in the mirror. Having peace of mind. No matter what I do in life or what kind of person I become, waking up in the morning and going to bed in the evening, being able to look myself in the eye and not feeling ashamed of what I have done or what I have become.

That's one of those trick answers. So simple, yet it's so difficult for many. :shock:

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
To do the best I can in as much of life as possible.

To experience and follow joy and learning.

To heal.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My goal in life is living my life without a goal to make me unhappy.