User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: What is time?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Trope View Post
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually- from a nonlinear, nonsubjective viewpoint- it's more like a big ball.. oh whoops.

So time can be measured in light years? Light is sort of tangible and isnt. It's amazing how you can see the light of a star three million light years away. So that light has spent a long time travelling and is, you could say, 'very old'. But does time actually affect light other than how 'fast' it travels or, given its presence or absence, day and night? I dunno.
    Everything in the universe has the same age - it all came from the Big Bang.

The light that came from three million light years away only has that number attached to it because the amount of change in location that an individual photon had was equivalent to that of light travelling 2.84 x 10E19 km, and the period of this change was equal to that distance divided by c. That's all time is.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    Bald

Awesome.

You should contemplate what time is like without death. Does time even matter than if death is no longer a problem. The very definiton of time itself involve death. The death of the present makes time flow into the future.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Here's my take on definitions of both space and time:
    BDMNQR Essays

I would say if you have to number time as a dimension, it would be the 0th dimension, as it can conceivably exist in space of any number of dimensions, and is a distinct kind of dimension from time. (Like in Minkowski space-time diagrams, the horizontal "spacelike" X axis represents all three dimensions of space, while the Y axis represents time, intersecting space only at the 0 point).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    You should contemplate what time is like without death. Does time even matter than if death is no longer a problem. The very definiton of time itself involve death. The death of the present makes time flow into the future.
    That's assuming time travels on a completely linear path. Why doesn't all time exist concurrently, and we merely perceive its flow through our own movement?

I would say if you have to number time as a dimension, it would be the 0th dimension, as it can conceivably exist in space of any number of dimensions, and is a distinct kind of dimension from time. (Like in Minkowski space-time diagrams, the horizontal "spacelike" X axis represents all three dimensions of space, while the Y axis represents time, intersecting space only at the 0 point).
    There's no need for time in n dimensions if there is no movement. Everything is as it is over an infinite period without change, and instance one is the same as instance two - the only way time would be definable is from the viewer's frame of reference, as it is through the change in thought caused by comparison that time is defined.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    If time is nothing more than how we perceive a chain of events, then time dies when all of us die, as there is nobody left to do the perceiving.

MBTI
    NICE

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

time is like a friend.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Time has been directly measured by astronauts with accurate clocks to have a different speed depending on the position you occupy in the continuum.

The rule of thumb is, the higher the gravity field, the slower time goes.

For example, let's say I alcuberried my way into the middle of a dense star cluster (with the proper radiation sheilding, of course). I would preceive time the same way as I do now. People on Earth wouldn't notice any change either. But as I spend 10 minutes in this high-density gravity field, the peole of Earth have just spend 100 years in a lesser dense field, but both of us preceived time passing at the same speed. In other words, if I spent 10 minutes in a star cluster and then alcuberried my way back to Earth, they would've experienced 100 years.

If you're a TJ, you're probably wondering how you can take advantage of these different speeds of time.

An example: Let's say you have an incurable disease and you've been given ten weeks to live. You could simply alcuberry your way into a dense gravity field, wait a week, and then come back to find Earth 200 years more advanced and with a cure for your disease.

Another example: If the Romulan Empire ever really gets testy, all the Federation would have to do is put the entire thing under a really intense gravity field. We'd have as long as we needed to become advanced enough to crush them completely.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Time in the sense of "What time is it?" is when one thing (such as a clock) is intellectually frozen in motion and then used as a reliable reference point for things external to itself. A thing becomes reliable as this type of reference point through conditioning. For example, we know that when the clock reads 12:00 PM, we can expect to find the sun at its highest point in the sky. We know this because we've often seen these two things--12:00 PM and the sun at its zenith--coincide with each other; and because we've seen them coincide so often, we can safely use one by itself to predict that the other condition holds true. And that's what makes measured time so useful: like a sixth sense, it allows you to see things, even if only vaguely, that aren't within your viewing range.

As for time in the sense of past, present, and future, that's a bit more complicated.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]