User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: What is time?

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Among prominent philosophers, there are two distinct viewpoints on time. One view is that time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe, a dimension in which events occur in sequence. Time travel, in this view, becomes a possibility as other "times" persist like frames of a film strip, spread out across the time line. Sir Isaac Newton subscribed to this realist view, and hence it is sometimes referred to as Newtonian time.[4][5] The opposing view is that time does not refer to any kind of "container" that events and objects "move through", nor to any entity that "flows", but that it is instead part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. This second view, in the tradition of Gottfried Leibniz[6] and Immanuel Kant,[7][8] holds that time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be travelled.
    -wiki

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    -wiki
    That's not entirely true. Or well, not quite sufficient so to speak.

In the second view, relative time travel into the future is still possible. By slowing time down in a certain area in space, compared to other area's in space, for example by means of high speeds. Theoretically.

But it is correct that in the second view, traveling back in time is physically impossible.

Whereas the first view, albeit it lacks sufficient theory to do so. Does not refute the possibility of traveling back in time. However, it also does not hypothesise that it is. It's a mere assumption as a result from the hypothesis, The hypothesis itself has nothing to do with time travel.

That should sufficiently explain the views on those two principles. I felt that the wiki part was highly inadequate in its reasoning! :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    What is time?
    Can someoe define it for me?

Does time really end when we die? I don't believe time is undefinable.
    A measure is an artifact.
    You are not.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I took my daughter to class once and we were analyzing Alice in Wonderland. They started talking about the Mad Hatter's watch being repaired by butter and she blurted out "time just keeps going." The professor loved it and asked her to explain and she said that his watch doesn't matter and clocks don't matter because people get older and the sun goes down so you can't play and time just keeps going.

Time is the life of a human chopped into tiny fractions for the purpose of maximizing it. Our ancestors saw how precious and short it is by the time their lives were over. We have seconds and minutes to express how very quickly it slips away from us. A second is simply 1/2,366,820,000th of the average human life. Nothing else is relevant, one life is all anyone here will get.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The clock keeps ticking, ticking.. ticking away. Tic, Tac, says the clock, Tic, Tac, your time is running out. At each passing moment, the present dies.. and the future lives... Keep up, keep up now, you hear.. Keep up... or fade away.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

something tells me fluffy makes people anxious IRL... :p

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Only when it is my intention. But that does happen, sometimes. :P

deleted

Time is actually the first dimension accelerated, and ever since the big bang, there was time, and everything in this universe was moving at a rapid rate in one direction, just forward in time. If time were of the fourth dimension, it would be possible to stop time and move objects around while stopping time. Since time is of the first dimension, everything dies once time ceases.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Time is actually the first dimension accelerated, and ever since the big bang, there was time, and everything in this universe was moving at a rapid rate in one direction, just forward in time. If time were of the fourth dimension, it would be possible to stop time and move objects around while stopping time. Since time is of the first dimension, everything dies once time ceases.
    Why isn't it a fourth dimension, bounded by the Big Bang and heat death of the universe? Why doesn't everything that will exist already exist along this plane, and we only perceive time linearly because of our particular evolution? This would square with special relativity and quantum time.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    Bald

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually- from a nonlinear, nonsubjective viewpoint- it's more like a big ball.. oh whoops.

So time can be measured in light years? Light is sort of tangible and isnt. It's amazing how you can see the light of a star three million light years away. So that light has spent a long time travelling and is, you could say, 'very old'. But does time actually affect light other than how 'fast' it travels or, given its presence or absence, day and night? I dunno.