User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: What is time?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It's the dimension which defines movement. It's a measurement of place as compared to movement or change. If place did not change, nor movement did not occur, there would be no need for time. However, even a stationary object has movement on a quantum scale, therefore time exists.

We experience time in a linear fashion because it is most cohesive toward reproductive success. That statement is hypothetical, as I believe it is very difficult for a human mind to comprehend such a thing for entirely that purpose. Therefore, it's also completely unscientific, but fits all other teleological explanations of the human condition. That being said, it also makes sense in the context of the adaptation of intensive child-rearing in humans - parents that saw time in the same way as they saw length, width and height may not raise their children in a progressive fashion. There is no inherent reason for this other than evolutionary impulse.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Time is a concept developed by NTs and hijacked by SJs. At least that how it feels.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    Time is a concept developed by NTs and hijacked by SJs. At least that how it feels.
    That description would apply to government and democracy as well. It seems to be slowly happening with the Internet, too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That description would apply to government and democracy as well. It seems to be slowly happening with the Internet, too.
    Viva la Revolucion!

MBTI
    ENTP

It's the dimension which defines movement. It's a measurement of place as compared to movement or change. If place did not change, nor movement did not occur, there would be no need for time. However, even a stationary object has movement on a quantum scale, therefore time exists.
    I completely agree.
    "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'tre un lgume, puisque mme un artichaut a du cur."
    -Amelie Poulain

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    best question i've ever heard in this section..

Time is separation. That's it. No magic, no mystery, time is just separation of events in our universe. Time is a measurement of CHANGES, nothing more.

and if you don't believe me, there's this guy Einstein that let us know time and space are LINKED because they are both physical separations of things, and those physical separations of things have an important relationship.

if you want better evidence, consider this: just about EVERY physics equation that's worth a damn has time as a variable in the denominator. the only equations that have the variable time in the numerator is to balance an exponent of time in the denominator. Time is merely separation of REAL things - it has no reality itself.
    I like this.

I think of time as nothing more than a way to observe or measure change.

I also think of time and infinity as very closely related.

Time being a measurement of change. We measure passing events in spatial relationship. We measure distance to things in space in terms of the time it takes for light to travel to us, our spatial relationship to that object. In a sense, our perception of time is the source of our perception of our separateness from everything.

Infinity is the endlessness of passing events. Infinity describes the nature of time as having no beginning and no end. As humans, we cannot perceive time in this sense, because we see life as having a beginning and an end everyday. We ourselves have a beginning and an end. However, life itself, existence of matter, to our knowledge has no beginning or end that we can prove. It is an infinite cycle of creation and destruction.

Time describes the separateness that our mind perceives. The separateness between you and I, the separateness from myself to the moon. Infinity describes the inseparateness, oneness, endlessness, in that all matter and life is the same, without beginning or end.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

It's 3:17 pm. Why?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It's 3:17 pm. Why?
    You're in the Pacific time zone.

More seriously, because this place relative to that represented by the moon being perceived as perpendicular to the tangent line extending horizontally from the observer relative to the curvature of the earth is correspondent to that of the rotational distance represented by 1.2736(pi) radians when a rotation of 2(pi) radians occurs at a frequency of 1/86400 seconds, or .000015741 Hz. Or it would be if there were no daylight saving time.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    here's my sensory perspective:

As a child time is long and as an adult it is too short.
    I read an interesting theory about this, as almost everyone seems to percieve it this way. In a nutshell, it's all perception, for a 5 year old, 1 year equals 1/5th of their entire life, which seems pretty long, but when you are 30years old 1 year equals 1/30th of your life. Thus the same amount of time that passes seems much shorter when we are older.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    best question i've ever heard in this section..

Time is separation. That's it. No magic, no mystery, time is just separation of events in our universe. Time is a measurement of CHANGES, nothing more.

and if you don't believe me, there's this guy Einstein that let us know time and space are LINKED because they are both physical separations of things, and those physical separations of things have an important relationship.

if you want better evidence, consider this: just about EVERY physics equation that's worth a damn has time as a variable in the denominator. the only equations that have the variable time in the numerator is to balance an exponent of time in the denominator. Time is merely separation of REAL things - it has no reality itself.
    Could be...

Here are the possible definitions of time:

Time=energy
    Time=infinity
    Time=death (as of the present)
    Time=light
    Time=information

Time cannot be everything and anything, so it must be something definable.

Quote Originally Posted by stypg
    What is infinity
    infinity is life without death.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.