User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derail from "On Spiritual Gifts": Determining faith-fact from faith-fiction

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    A slight tangent, but this is what happens when Christianity is defined as adherence to a set of intellectual doctrines rather than as a behavior directed towards others.
    Yes and this is where I run into problems with it with some folks. It seems too arbitrary, inauthentic, and stifling, to me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Edit: Bleh! On second thought, I don't care to share all that, so I have deleted my response.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Last edited by Recluse; 09-23-2007 at 07:29 PM.

I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Senior Member Array

Nearly a week and no new posts, I thought this would have been a more popular topic.

OK, let's expand this to everything under the religion/faith/spirituality umbrella.

I'm really interested in this would like to know how people who are open to multiple faiths rather than the fundy One_True_Path decide what faiths are valid and which ones are outright bullshit. If you approach your faith as just a lifestyle and don't believe that god(s)(ess)(es) actually exist or that there is no afterlife then that's not what I'm talking about. I'm asking those who believe in actual god(s)(ess)(es), spiritual beings, an afterlife, stuff like that.

Are scientology and UFO cults as valid beliefs as christianity and buddhism in your mind? What are the limits of credible belief? How far out does someone's beliefs have to be before you think "this guy is nuts"? How do you determine which beliefs reflect reality and which ones are made up?