User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

So why not delve into this, and find out what you could learn/expand your practices on?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe I've just met more people that *needed* to know my thoughts on spirits, ghosts, psychic healing, talking to dead people, reincarnation, "why DON'T you use psychic shielding, thats dangerous. people have all sorts of nasty thoughts out there that they will shoot at you!", "why don't you 'bless' your food"?, "why don't you pray?", "why don't you visualize things?", "why don't you talk to your spirit guides like eberyday?", "what do you mean you don't have a god and goddess", "why don't you care what the energy in a room is?", "why aren't you listening to this 'channeled wisdom?'" and on and on and on it went...."what do you mean when you meditate your mind just gets real still and quiet, shouldnt you be talking with your spirit guides instead!?!?!" "why aren't you interested in me doing a tarot reading for you???" "would you like me to talk with your spirit guides for you?"

man if I was with someone that kept thinking "but what if it really IS coming from a ghost?" all the time, well I don't think I could deal with it.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

My god, tell me these people are still young and new to the Craft, otherwise, get away from them. They sound incredibly Wiccan btw, no offense. Newbees to Wicca will often have these concerns and that's alright, as they are still trying to carve out their own paths. But if these are seasoned people, imo they've just gotten stuck in their own ways and are scared of anyone who doesn't do what they do. I always wonder why such people come to the Craft, as it gives you the chance to get *away* from all of that and make your own path.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    So why not delve into this, and find out what you could learn/expand your practices on?
    I assume that was directed at me and referred to dealing with TB deities. I don't feel affinity for TB, I actually feel anti-affinity for a lot of it. And for Hinayana or Theravada [not necessarily synonomous] as well. I think its funny, I was initially interested in Buddhism when I first heard of it, then I read some of the basic stuff and stuff by americans on it and lost that interest, then came across the Mahayana teachings later and was like "Yes!, I am home now! Well, one of my homes anyways, there are others as well."
    I will say, few of the american authors, on buddhism or other eastern traditions, impress me. They might know a lot, but I think they are caught up in cultural translations or something, and to me it always just seems watered down. And I don't sense 'bala' [sanskrit: "spiritual power"] from most of them. The american zen people do better though, as do a number of the american hindu people. Most american authors I've seen seem to teach Theravada level buddhism.

Let me tell you a quick story. Someone, I forgot whom but some famous Buddhist teacher or other, was comparing Zen and Tibetan Buddhism via analogy to a swimming pool. At the top of the pool is normal everyday unenlightened life, where most people are. The bottom of the pool represents enlightenment, and the water in between represents the effort required to achieve enlightenment and the "stuff" along the journey. Zen jumps in the water, takes a big breath, dives down as quickly as possible, ignores everything along the way, gets to the bottom quickly and then does whatever it is enlightened people do after becoming enlightened. TB takes the opposite approach, it gradually swims down in the water slowly while doing all sorts of practices and gatherings and group actvities and ewpowerments and other stuff, doing that at each point as it goes deeper in the water. Eventually, after quite a while, it gets to the bottom and 'reaches enlightenment' as well. Both get there, but one generally gets there much faster, while the other does a lot of additional stuff along the way. Which one do you prefer? Well, thats a matter of each persons individual affinity.

Fwiw, there are all sorts of levels of existence between the physical world, and the enlightened condition, as represented by the water in the above analogy. Different traditions have different attitudes towards the water, whether to give it attention, how much attention to give it, whether to pay attention to all of it or just some of it, etc. Zen is known for ignoring all the water, TB is about all of the water, other traditions fit in between. I'm about some of the water. To quote from Atisha's A Lamp for the Path to Enlighenment, "Bodhisattvas make a conscious and concerted effort to develop reliable forms of extrasensory perception for the purpose of benefitting others."

I should say, I find many of the TB books very informative and spiritually charged. In particular, I find their teachings/exposition of Dzogchen and Mahamudra very powerful. Some of the TB practices overlap practices from other traditions. But I don't directly relate to TB. For example, they are real big into the equivalent of "debating theology", whereas the zen in me would just say "quit talking, practice, have the experience." I've bought more than one TB book looking fwd to powerful exposition, only to find it was mostly "debating theology" and quickly gave away the book. "Zen is what happens after [rational] thinking ends", the spaces between thoughts if you will. To me, debating which metaphysical TB theory is correct doesn't assist in find and expanding the spaces between thoughts.

Amargith, have I adequately answered your question?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Hehe, you always go above and beyond even

Ps: King, I'm so sorry about hijacking your thread. We should get back on topic with animal spirit guides.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    My god, tell me these people are still young and new to the Craft, otherwise, get away from them. They sound incredibly Wiccan btw, no offense. Newbees to Wicca will often have these concerns and that's alright, as they are still trying to carve out their own paths. But if these are seasoned people, imo they've just gotten stuck in their own ways and are scared of anyone who doesn't do what they do. I always wonder why such people come to the Craft, as it gives you the chance to get *away* from all of that and make your own path.
    These people were not Wiccan, they were New-Agey. Former catholics, like many new agers seem to be, into spiritual healing particularly reiki, one was in mediumship training, as was her girlfriend at the time. I will say, not that I had much interaction with them when it happened, but I've felt 'looked down on" by wiccans, maybe its the buddhism and not-self thing or eastern things being seen as body and world-denying or maybe my mind is too quite and focused and they feel how 'bouncy' there mind is in comparison???

I will say, many of the psychics that Ive met [not all, not many of the advanced ones] seemed to me like "typical" people that I wouldn't have guessed were psychic, BUT its like their "minds"/presence are very loud. Like average people, but with noisier presences! Eastern stuff is often more about relaxing, letting go, being in the moment, and we seem to have calmer [though possibly much more 'powerful' ] presences and "mind-streams" to use the Buddhist term. I think its funny, I'll meet psychic people and they'll point out how really/largely/incredibly psychic they are, and then they "look" into me and say something like "Wow! You are REALLY psychic[ally developed]!", which I find funny in part because I REALLY don't like using that word to describe myself. I almost feel like some of those people don't realize that their training system "isn't the only game in town" so to speak. We generally don't place much emphasis on these things [the way you see/perceive the world is incorrect, and more to the point illusory. [psychic things and realms] are even more illusory, and more dangerous in the sense that they have a greater ability to deter you from your ultimate goal. Know that many a yogi/practitioner has 'fallen' under the power/sway of these realms. They may exist and have their validity, but they too are ultimately 'unreal.' Keep pushing through until you leave the unreal and arrive at the real." As someone said "Its just one more thing to let go of [ie not identify with]"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Back to spirit guides: I've read that you aren't supposed to tell other people what your totem is because it will 'take away some of the power from the relationship', does that applies just to totems, or to spirit guides, animal spirits, medicine spirits etc?

Can anyone elaborate on why this is so? Is it just other people won't believe in these thingsa nd therefore will throw their disbelieving thoughts at you which will cause interference?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ooh, I always like this website Animal Spirit Guides Shamanism

Like every sunday you could log in and someone would tell you which two animal spirits wisdom you were working on at the time

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I NEVER got the ones I thought were going on. During journeys and other activities I was frequently seeing one animal. I'll have to look back a page or two on this thread, but whatever the term is for what represents a power or influence [healing in this example] but is the animal archetype for that quality as opposed to being your totem or one of your current power animals.

Can people have two totems? There is one animal that I have very strong recurring affinity for, but I also feel a connection to bear a lot. Maybe that isn't a totem, and just means I somehow energetically relate to healing?

Any experiences with 'shamanic dismemberment', when your totem or animal spirit basically kills/eats your body and you get a new one? Let's just say that bear ate me quite a few times, and during some of those shamanic dismemberments there was a lot of, umm, desecrating of the now-dead body. "It's already dead, do you really need to bite its head off, chew off the arm, swipe off the leg, claw up the stomach, etc too?"

Experiences people would like to share?