User Tag List

123 Last

Default On Spiritual Gifts

So, what do you guys think about the nine spiritual gifts mentioned in I Corinthians 12?

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
    Have you had any experience with them (personally or through someone you know/know of)?
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

Wisdom - I consider most desirous. Though this is not one of mine

Knowledge - Spiritual knowledge or knowledge in general? If spiritual knowledge, the similar (but secondary) to wisdom.

Faith - I don't understand or see the value in faith.

Healing - Amazing gift. Doctors enter a noble profession.

Miracles - Fairly sure they don't exist.

Prophecy -

Discerning of Spirits -

Toungues -

Interpretation of Tongues -

Helps - important, and something I may have some of.

Administration - important, I have none of.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Prophecy and Tongues......

I had an interesting exchange in regards to this in my blog with Cafe.

With Prophecy what was intersting is that the same prophecy was given by 2 different people at 2 different times...... these 2 people didn't know of each other.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Wisdom - I consider most desirous. Though this is not one of mine

Knowledge - Spiritual knowledge or knowledge in general? If spiritual knowledge, the similar (but secondary) to wisdom.
    It was once explained to me like this (by someone who had both - and, btw, they're more impressive than they sound):

Gift of Knowledge: For example, someone with this gift, upon meeting you could know you have a certain problem, say, an unruly teenage daughter. That doesn't sound too impressive, but a person with this gift would know about your situation in great detail, stuff they could absolutely not know otherwise.

Gift of Wisdom: Often goes along with the gift of knowledge. Someone who had both would not only know in depth of the situation with the teenager but would know, from God, what to tell you on how exactly to deal with the situation.

If you want a real-life example, I'll try to recall a real-life example of these.

Faith - I don't understand or see the value in faith.
    Someone with the gift of faith has the ability to change his or others' circumstances simply by believing that God can. It's said that faith can move mountains. There is virtually no limit to what faith can do.

Healing - Amazing gift. Doctors enter a noble profession.
    But have you ever seen someone get their hearing back simply through prayer or anything of the sort?

Miracles - Fairly sure they don'[t exist.
    Dr. Collins (a European missionary who I've met and actually played piano for at a youth camp) would beg to differ. He related to us a story that day of how when he was on a missionary trip one time, passing out candy to kids, he was about to run out, and prayed about it. God told him not to look in the bag, just keep grabbing the candy. With much faith, he did so, and the bag kept producing more and more candy. They even turned it upside down and shook it, and the stuff kept falling out.

Also, that reminds me. The church I met my husband at had the same bottle of anointing oil for something like seven years and had not had to refill it once despite having literally poured it out upside down over someone's head (as witnessed by a best friend of mine).

Prophecy -
    It's not 100% futuristic as some might think. It can also simply refer to words from God. Kind of similar to knowledge and wisdom, but from what I've seen, it's more of a direct quote from God. An awesome gift, yet a great burden at times for those who have it.

Discerning of Spirits -
    A person with this gift can discern not only evil spirits but good. Alot of times someone with this gift can walk into a Wal-Mart and tell if there is a murderer there or whatnot.

Toungues -
    ? What's so shocking?

Interpretation of Tongues -
    I've seen this many times. I KNOW it's real. There's no way it's not. Yet another awesome gift.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    Prophecy and Tongues......

I had an interesting exchange in regards to this in my blog with Cafe.

With Prophecy what was intersting is that the same prophecy was given by 2 different people at 2 different times...... these 2 people didn't know of each other.
    Yep, it happens. And it's real. Just curious, was it directly to/for you?

MBTI
    enfp

Um well now it had nothing to do with me... God used me to share something with my pastor, later I found out that it was a prophecy given to him by another prophetic pastor that he knew and my message just confirmed it.

I have never been propheside over.......
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    Um well now it had nothing to do with me... God used me to share something with my pastor, later I found out that it was a prophecy given to him by another prophetic pastor that he knew and my message just confirmed it.

I have never been propheside over.......
    Wow.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wisdom: Ni
    Knowledge: Ti
    Faith: Si
    Healing: Fi
    Miracles: Ni/Ne (depending on type of miracle)
    Prophecy: Ni
    Discerning of Spirits: Fi
    Tongues (interpretation): Ne
    Tongues (use):Ni
    Helps: Fe
    Administration: Te

Well, that's my best guess. I do not make any claims as to the correctness or usefulness of this.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Wow.

yeah it was one of those moments... it is not the only time I have had something prophetic to share.... it's hard for me to deal with though.
    Jung Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Wisdom: Ni
    Knowledge: Ti
    Healing: Fi
    Miracles: Ni/Ne (depending on type of miracle)
    Prophecy: Ni
    Tongues (interpretation): Ne
    Tongues (use):Ni
    Helps: Fe
    Administration: Te

Well, that's my best guess. I do not make any claims as to the correctness or usefulness of this.
    No, no, no. First of all, it's not something everyone has or is born with. I do not believe the gifts are a result of a certain personality, although God's callings/gifts have been known to fit nicely with certain personalities. Interesting how you juumped on categorizing all of that though.

Heh. God knows, we ISTJs have trouble with faith sometimes.

Now, that I can see. But once again, I really don't think the gifts are determined by personality type per se.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT intened for any of these posts to be mistaken for (unless specifically noted as) God's Word. This is just a discussion on personal experience/opinion. Thank you.