User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 31

  1. #21
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Obviously I disagree with a lot in this thread, but... I am very curious if there are other interpretations of these gifts. I seem them as being very metaphorical and not applied in the more direct sense that was talked about early in the OP.

    I'm just curious, then... are there multiple interpretations or views depending on denomination?
    Yes. Some denominations view all the listed gifts as completely applicable and distributed today as in Bible Times while others would say that some were only at the emergence of the Christian church.
    (i.e. the book of Acts talks about speaking in tongues, some would say that while it happened then, it's clearly not something that happens today b/c it's unnecessary and they argue the point of tongues in the emergence of the church was to unify all people as one through Christ (as opposed to Jews who were a 'chosen people'; it was a "new idea" then and not necessary today).)

    Some people view Spiritual Gifts as something that can only be gifted to professing, practicing Christians, others disagree and say it's available for all people...
    (if you're more like Jen and I by saying there's less specifically outlined gifts as mentioned in Corinthians, and instead just more ways that God communicates, I think you're more likely to say that it's gifts available to all. I personally think God can work through anyone, no problem, no matter what religion. I don't know so much about specific gifts, though. Clearly that would not work for something like Evangelism)

    I think the majority view, though, is that gifts are:
    a) gifted to professing, practicing Christians (and everyone has at least one gift)
    b) as listed in the bible (however there are discrepancies as to what exactly "makes the official list" b/c some are mentioned in other passages than the one in Corinthians and it's arguable as to whether they are considered Spiritual Gifts)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  2. #22
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think the majority view, though, is that gifts are:
    a) gifted to professing, practicing Christians (and everyone has at least one gift)
    b) as listed in the bible (however there are discrepancies as to what exactly "makes the official list" b/c some are mentioned in other passages than the one in Corinthians and it's arguable as to whether they are considered Spiritual Gifts)
    Really? Most people I encounter outside of the fringe churches of my youth tend to approach the spiritual gifts as more of a metaphorical thing. Although, I'm sure there are plenty of mainstream non-fringe churches that believe as you say but I don't tend to cross paths with them much.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  3. #23
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Really? Most people I encounter outside of the fringe churches of my youth tend to approach the spiritual gifts as more of a metaphorical thing. Although, I'm sure there are plenty of mainstream non-fringe churches that believe as you say but I don't tend to cross paths with them much.
    That's my personal experience from churches throughout western Canada, churches from Montana down to Texas, Seattle, and Southern Africa. However, it tends to be that churches that are affiliated with each other think similarly (a lot of this is from my gap year program where we traveled to hosting churches), so I likely have a biased sample.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #24
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    That's my personal experience from churches throughout western Canada, churches from Montana down to Texas, Seattle, and Southern Africa. However, it tends to be that churches that are affiliated with each other think similarly (a lot of this is from my gap year program where we traveled to hosting churches), so I likely have a biased sample.
    Me too. This is part of the problem in trying to make any kind of generalizations about what Christians believe or do- there's just so darn many kinds of us!

    I think the American "individualization" thing, which is relatively new in a human history sense isn't it? is affecting the fracture of the Christian religion. Although I, personally, don't see that as a negative-- I don't think that there are multiple approaches to it means that it's inherently flawed any more than I think that there being different personality types means there's something wrong with humanity. It's a feature, not a drawback.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  5. #25
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Me too. This is part of the problem in trying to make any kind of generalizations about what Christians believe or do- there's just so darn many kinds of us!

    I think the American "individualization" thing, which is relatively new in a human history sense isn't it? is affecting the fracture of the Christian religion. Although I, personally, don't see that as a negative-- I don't think that there are multiple approaches to it means that it's inherently flawed any more than I think that there being different personality types means there's something wrong with humanity. It's a feature, not a drawback.
    At the heart of the matter, I agree with you.

    But at the same time, 33 000 + denominations for Christianity and 7 for Judaism. We're doing something wrong that we need that many denominations. We all have differences, but we're all worshiping the same God. I wish we got along better. Unity has so much more power, too. It's far more practical.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  6. #26

    Default

    Unity has so much more power, too.
    Indeed.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

  7. #27
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    At the heart of the matter, I agree with you.

    But at the same time, 33 000 + denominations for Christianity and 7 for Judaism. We're doing something wrong that we need that many denominations. We all have differences, but we're all worshiping the same God. I wish we got along better. Unity has so much more power, too. It's far more practical.
    Agreed. I just don't think we have to all worship the same way to have unity.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #28
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    I have seen the good, the bad, and the fake when it comes to spiritual gifts. I believe that they exist and can be a true gift to the church, but I have seen so much misuse and even abuse that I am . . . cautious. Very cautious. I see way more BS than I see the real thing.

    Another thing: when we do get someone in that has personal words for people, they often come up with some really bazaar stuff for me and/or Don. I suspect these people, maybe unconsciously, use the same tricks fake psychics do and Don and I do not provide adequate or accurate cues for them to play on.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  9. #29
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I have seen the good, the bad, and the fake when it comes to spiritual gifts. I believe that they exist and can be a true gift to the church, but I have seen so much misuse and even abuse that I am . . . cautious. Very cautious. I see way more BS than I see the real thing.

    Another thing: when we do get someone in that has personal words for people, they often come up with some really bazaar stuff for me and/or Don. I suspect these people, maybe unconsciously, use the same tricks fake psychics do and Don and I do not provide adequate or accurate cues for them to play on.
    Yep. Cold reading. I don't think they're (usually) doing it to be purposefully deceitful, but I do think they sometimes mistake having a sharp intuition for being given inside info.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #30
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    That's my personal experience from churches throughout western Canada, churches from Montana down to Texas, Seattle, and Southern Africa. However, it tends to be that churches that are affiliated with each other think similarly (a lot of this is from my gap year program where we traveled to hosting churches), so I likely have a biased sample.
    I share your experience... I have been immersed in some form of organized conservative Christianity since a young age, and what you describe is all that I ever hear from the groups I have been part of.

    (That's why the last few years have been real eye-openers for me, in learning that there are actually other widespread interpretations of things I thought everyone had agreed on...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Which Taco Bell menu item speaks to you on a spiritual level?
    By senza tema in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-17-2017, 03:52 PM
  2. You're on an island. With a television.
    By disregard in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM
  3. Introverted Intuition as "spiritual gift"?
    By Eric B in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
  4. Thoughts on gift giving.
    By King sns in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
  5. Derail from "On Spiritual Gifts": Determining faith-fact from faith-fiction
    By sassafrassquatch in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO