User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default If you don't believe in things of a "psychic" nature

If you don't believe in psychics, "soul connections," etc, what would you do if someone you knew and trusted reported strange experiences that most people would call "psychic?" For instance, let's say you have a trusted, honest, respectable friend who is intelligent and doesn't call attention to himself, and he reports these types of experiences:

-He met someone for the first time, and when they shook hands and made eye contact, your friend claimed to instantly perceive all sorts of personal details about this person's life. He mentioned some of them to you in confidence, and later found out they were true.

-He had a feeling that something was coming in the mail on a specific day, after a long period of waiting and unknown delivery date, and mentioned it to you. The item did arrive that day.

-Out of the blue, he was overwhelmed one night with sadness and negative feelings about an estranged family member. They hadn't spoken in 3 years, and he had no idea where the person was, nor had he thought about the person in a long time. He mentioned this experience to you. A week later, he checked his myspace account and discovered that the estranged family member was sending him a message at the exact time and date he'd had those overwhelming thoughts and feelings.

-He woke up in the middle of the night freaking out that he had to speak with his mother on the phone (his girlfriend can vouch for this fact) and later found out the mother was unexpectedly dying at the same time he was awake and disturbed that night.

If your trusted, respected friend consistently reported these types of experiences, would you still be skeptical, or would you chalk them up to something you can't explain? I'm curious what you'd think.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

What is this "things of a psychic nature" you speak of? If you can't define it, you can't not believe in it.

MBTI
    INFP

By psychic, I mean predicting the future, knowing things about people before they've been told to you, or feeling some sort of spiritual connection to someone else in the sense that you feel what they feel or are aware of their thoughts/feelings without being told or even seeing them at the time. Knowing things that should be impossible to know. (Not just being good at perceiving other people's emotions or knowing someone well enough to predict what they'll do/say.)

Is that clear enough?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

ok - why don't you believe in it?

edit: i'm just wondering because the argument can't be faulty.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, if we're discussing my personal thoughts on the matter, though I'm not closed to any idea, I'm skeptical of people who claim to be "psychic" because I think their claims can usually be proven false. Some people purposely deceive others, and some people even unknowingly delude themselves into thinking they have special abilities and psychic powers. I don't think I've seen enough evidence to convince me that certain people are psychic, though some things occasionally make me wonder. Also, I'm often curious if there are some things we call "psychic" that really have some other sort of explanation.

edit: I'm more interested in hearing what people would think than trying to prove my point, because I'm bad at proving my points, and half the time I have no point. Just questions, really. Curiosity about people's thoughts and ideas. (Go easy on me, INTP... )

MBTI
    INTP

There are explanations for these phenomena. I wouldn't necessarily doubt the persons sincerity, but I would supernatural explanation. Here is a good video related to the topic.

[YOUTUBE="nCVzz96zKA0"]Out of Body Experiment[/YOUTUBE]

Nobody who has claimed psychic ability has ever been able to prove it or show consistent results beyond the realm of chance. Most have been exposed for using cold reading, and not necessarily conscious of it.

Highly intuitive people, almost always women, can often tell much about a person by the way they carry themselves or even look. Sometimes it's very striking in accuracy and confusing when I observe them doing it. You could see how people might mistake that with supernatural ability. Because of this intuition they can get a good idea of situations that may play out in that persons life. I wouldn't call it psychic, it seems more to do with their capacity to understand social nuance, and the application of probability thereof.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It's called sampling error.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    If your trusted, respected friend consistently reported these types of experiences, would you still be skeptical, or would you chalk them up to something you can't explain? I'm curious what you'd think.
    I'd be skeptical.. because I'm skeptical by nature.

People have a habit of noting exceptions. It's just hardwired into our brains to process routine without much thought while anything abnormal triggers additional thought. If my doorknob turns I don't give it any thought. If it fails to turn I now have an event and may consider myself unlucky. Patterns too, are easy to pick out if one searches a little. Things like karma, or death comes in (threes?) are really easy to "prove" with a little selective fact finding.

I've a workmate who is convinced beyond anything that he is a financial genius and can read market trends better than most. It is interesting to follow his logic train as he admires his correct predictions, ignores his wrong ones, and often directly contradicts himself while attempting to make a point, all without missing a beat.

MBTI
    infp

My isfj friend is pretty much like the friend you are describing, the way she just knows things is spooky.

If I lose something she can tell me where it is, if I stay up late she can usually tell me what time I went to bed when I say to her on the phone "You'll never guess what time I went to bed" and she says a number flashes up at her and it's very nearly always right.

She makes predictions about people that also very nearly always turn out to be true.

I am always gobsmacked by how much she knows without knowing, also knowing in her heart that a close friend of hers was in trouble, so she called only to find out he had died.

I'm still a skeptic though, but like you I wonder alot if there is more to it than I give her credit for.

Plus you can sort of rationalise most of the times it happens, apart from knowing something was wrong with her friend, which I'm still trying to find an explanation for.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

He's a strongly developped empath and relies heavily on his intuition/gut reaction. A lot of pagans have these experiences too, you can train them as they are abilities within us. I'm personally not as accurate with the whole gut inspired stuff (too much self-doubting), but I do well with the other thing. Takes a lot of effort though and belief in yourself as no one really knows how it works exactly.

It's somethign that's completely natural, and trainable. We just don't know how it works, much like profetic dreams for instance. There's a ton of hyptheses as to why it could possibly work (bodylanguage, the hit and miss thing, calculating probability chances, memories etc etc). All these explanations could contribute. It's still a pretty awesome skill, though, no matter what the explanation is. Sounds like this person has a serious talent for it. Hope he can handle it, coz it's pretty taxing to live with. Also, as it is a skill, he's bound to get some stuff wrong, depending on how 'skilled' he actually is.

Note: I do admit that there are a lot of wanna-be's and con men out there when it comes to these things as well.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”