User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 40 of 40

  1. #31
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Knowing the person is relevant because it pushes you to either accept that the person in question is lying or that there is an alternative explanation (misinterpretation etc). If it's someone you trust, you are forced to look for an alternative explanation apart from "It's obviously fake/They are lying"
    Is it lying if they've convinced themselves of something untrue?

  2. #32
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Is it lying if they've convinced themselves of something untrue?
    No. That would go under the alternative explanation: They are delusional.

  3. #33
    Filthy Apes! Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    What does the type have to do with the question? Are you saying you'd consider it a personality quirk and therefore not believe the friend or wonder if there's any validity to what he's saying?
    This one in particular:

    -He met someone for the first time, and when they shook hands and made eye contact, your friend claimed to instantly perceive all sorts of personal details about this person's life. He mentioned some of them to you in confidence, and later found out they were true.
    is very, very INFJ. An INFJ buddy of mine does this all the time about girls I date. Intuition with a feeling focus ain't something to be sneezed at.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Is it lying if they've convinced themselves of something untrue?
    Good point.
    Last edited by Wiley45; 07-06-2009 at 09:15 AM.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

  5. #35
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    I wish to second Amargith's point about people training to do or improve these sorts of things, and other things.

    Since I don't meet the requirements for those you requested feedback on upon your question, I'll remain moot about that.

  6. #36
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    I'd trust that there is a chance things are exactly as he suggests but at the least that they are his honest perception of them.

    I'm not into psychicness however I do know I don't have answers to everything so I remain somewhat open minded about anything that can't be proven wrong or sound so incredibly silly it insults my intelligence.

    Someone charges money for a psychic prediction I'm not interested, someone experiences something like the OP suggests my default would be to think that is what they perceive to be true and accept that I don't know for sure that they're wrong.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I wish to second Amargith's point about people training to do or improve these sorts of things, and other things.

    Since I don't meet the requirements for those you requested feedback on upon your question, I'll remain moot about that.
    Thanks for being sensitive to the nature of the OP. I know you're not a skeptic, but if you want to share experiences or thoughts, feel free! I am especially interested in the opinions of skeptics, but of course, interested in all opinions nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I'm not into psychicness however I do know I don't have answers to everything so I remain somewhat open minded about anything that can't be proven wrong or sound so incredibly silly it insults my intelligence.
    I like that perspective. A lot.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

  8. #38
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    If your trusted, respected friend consistently reported these types of experiences, would you still be skeptical, or would you chalk them up to something you can't explain? I'm curious what you'd think.
    I would be skeptical, and also chalk it up to something I can't explain.

    Ultimately though I think I'd let my friend know that I'm impressed with his intuitions, and if he ever had them again then I'd listen and take them seriously. You see the common theme in all of the impressions your friend had is that they were all things that affected him personally. He made some type of connection with the people that his impressions were about. Therefore these "psychic" impressions were actually about him.

    My philosophy is that if your subconscious is trying to tell you something then you should listen. That is often a key way that people grow personally. To me it doesn't matter if you say it's psychic or Freudian or something else. Ultimately it is important to listen to and take seriously. Therefore if your friend comes to you with something similar in the future then I would listen and take seriously the things they say.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    384

    Default

    These occurrences are happening all the time imo, whether people acknowledge them or not. It has to do with vibrational energy. Just because one can't explain it doesn't mean it isn't a real phenomenon. I do think some take advantage of the force at work, possibly causing disruption in others' lives. I also believe much of religion is working with these psychic or unseen forces, organizing them to make sense in a tangible way.

  10. #40
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    These occurrences are happening all the time imo, whether people acknowledge them or not. It has to do with vibrational energy. Just because one can't explain it doesn't mean it isn't a real phenomenon. I do think some take advantage of the force at work, possibly causing disruption in others' lives. I also believe much of religion is working with these psychic or unseen forces, organizing them to make sense in a tangible way.
    yea I agree, I used to think religion was bad, but it's just the strictness that I disliked, or the whole authoritarian fear control factor with organized religion. I found out that most of my autonomous belief structure is in accordance with most religions though. For example I sometimes say good things to my food to "raise" the vibrational energy of it, which is pretty much the same thing as praying before a meal. BUT it's because I have a reason to do it now, not just because I'm part of some religion (FYI: I'm not a part of any religion)

Similar Threads

  1. If you don't check this out you'll die in your sleep this night, choose wisely
    By SteinitzGamgbit in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-09-2016, 02:18 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
  4. [INTP] If you put 30 INTPs in a room together...
    By Sunshine in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
  5. If you could go back in time, would you authorize the existence of Israel?
    By meanlittlechimp in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO