User Tag List

First 45678 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I didn't think AO's point was hard to understand either.
    I thought he was asking what religion are you "officially" and do you currently "practise" stated religion. If not, why not? I didn't detect any tone of elitism. Just a request for info.

To answer the op, I'm not athetist...I'm an agnostic (does that disqualify me), who is officially Presbyterian, and semi-officially Baptist (was "born again" at 15).
    The reason I don't "practise" is for what is essentially a fringe organisation these days (or at least in the contries I have resided in) they have questionable moral practises, and can be down right hypocritical, and I detest the amount of conformatity that is imposed with the community.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

My parents are die-hard atheists and raised me that way. I don't think I'm such of a die-hard atheist, I'm open for other things as well.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Enneagram

Agnostic. Simply, the emotional appeal of religion was dwarfed by the realization that there is no way to prove the existence of a god(s). In the end, logic won.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion on paper ?"
    *raises hand*

I have not belonged to any religion, and consider myself a teapot agnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Btw. why did you reject your religion ?
    There was none to reject.

Usually an atheist doesn't worship a particular god.

So there are christian atheists, and hindu atheists and judaic atheists and muslim atheists. And there are atheists who don't worship Zeus or Poseidon.

So atheism is dependent on a particular god.

I mean which god don't you worship?

What kind of atheist are you?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Usually an atheist doesn't worship a particular god.

So there are christian atheists, and hindu atheists and judaic atheists and muslim atheists. And there are atheists who don't worship Zeus or Poseidon.

So atheism is dependent on a particular god.

I mean which god don't you worship?

What kind of atheist are you?
    Well... usually an atheist, by definition, doesn't worship any of them, so I cannot answer questions based on a false premise. Where are you getting this idea of only rejecting one god to be an atheist?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I always wonder, AO. As an atheist, do I act so different as I would if I believed in a god? I don't think so. I have greater belief in my moral fiber than that.

What religion is there to reject? People aren't born believing in the Bible, the Koran, etc. They are taught. Certainly on the physical level, they can be forced into the status quo of religious ritual.

And maybe when they are too young to learn fully/ to truly knowlingly accept religion into their life it is just the only path that appears to unveil before the, but as adults, I think people choose to include religion into their lives.

But maybe I'm strange. I think most people consider "believing in God/religion" as a state of being, a default that doesn't change once you set the "mode". I think that it has to be nurtured, otherwise it is in name only and not in reality.
    Well of course not, see, there's no such as thing as inductively piecing together an intuitively reasonable and consistent moral code of your own.

No no, that won't do at all, you need ABSOLUTE DEFINITE CERTAINTY that not only are all of your moral beliefs incontrovertibly true, fundamental properties of the universe, but also that you'll be rewarded by a payoff ratio of Infinity:1 in the afterlife after you die for following them.

I'm well aware that logical consistency isn't the point, so I respect religion for the feeling of comfort and safety that it brings many people. Fair enough, but...when you poke a bee hive with a stick, the godless little heathen bees inside are going to exercise a lot less restraint in stinging you.

Is anybody getting why it's intuitively obvious that literal interpretation of religion is absurd?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

There's no need for a supreme being in my conceptualization of the universe. I think that's what atheism actually is - a deity simply not being. Within the Eastern context, I'd say that God is mu or wu.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm christian by baptism and am atheistic. Have been since 9 or so.

My views on religion and mainly christians are based on the fact that many of the die hard christians I encountered when growing up were rude and shameless about pushing their ideals upon anyone they wanted to. Sort of like how I dislike door to door salesmanship and I would never participate in those "sell stuff to your neighbors" things at school. Intruding on people and their time is one of the rudest actions I can think of that is socially acceptable.

The bad thing is that I tend to lean towards nihilism, which is something I don't like. I'd love terribly for something to believe in.

AO, which country do you live in to have 90% of all people be catholic? Ireland?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    And maybe when they are too young to learn fully/ to truly knowlingly accept religion into their life it is just the only path that appears to unveil before the, but as adults, I think people choose to include religion into their lives.
    I think we should again consider that not everyone operates the same way. We are a type site, we need to remember that different personalities prioritize different things in life.

For types that instinctive collect information and then make internal judgments based on the essence of that data, changing one's religious beliefs is far simpler than for a personality type that is imprinted by the original worldview and then has values like loyalty, faithfulness, family unity, and similar things being prioritized with basically evaluate one's behavior in conformance with the original worldview.

The difference in priorities (from the perspective of the individual personality) helps to explain in part why some people grow up and end up leaving or rejecting the religion they were taught and why others end up remaining or even finding and clinging to it.

So in regards to the quote above, you might believe that adults are indeed "choosing" their worldview; I am proposing that, while I think that is at core the responsibility of every adult (and they are indeed "choosing" it), the anxiety they would face at rejecting it is FAR more than anxiety I might have felt or some other evaluative-style personality might have felt. Our personalities are geared to evaluate, then accept/reject based on data, our foundation is located within the evaluation process itself and not necessarily the outcome, we trust our PROCESS; but if you're a personality who only has one way of viewing the world and godliness is based on being faithful to it and you can't SEE another, it's nearly impossible to rise above the anxiety of casting it aside and not being able to trust your PERCEPTION. What would take its place?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft