User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I consider myself a real atheist because I actively believe that there is not a god. Just like I believe I'm not in the matrix.

I reject religion (and always have) because it just doesn't make any sense. It seems like mass denial. In preschool I equated God with the tooth fairy; I thought eventually the adults would come out and tell the real truth

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    What should 'real' atheism entail?

Moreover, what distinguishes 'real' from 'unreal' atheism?
    The the entire idea of "real" atheism is just a byproduct of the way I think and my social environment.

Real atheism - you were never baptized (or whatever) and you live as an atheist.

"Unreal" atheism as you call it - you were baptized and you live as an atheist.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, I was baptised but there wasn't much I had to say about that. :P

And my parents baptised me for show as we're living in a relatively small town, where people tend to know each other. And since they had a company they did these things as to avoid elitist rumours from spreading.

Back in that time, religion was (and still kinda is) pretty important to a lot of people around here. And being an Atheist is inexcusable for many of the religious people here. Especially among the older people. That elitism seems to have died with the newer generation though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The the entire idea of "real" atheism is just a byproduct of the way I think and my social environment.

Real atheism - you were never baptized (or whatever) and you live as an atheist.

Well, doesn't that view disregard the concept of religion as a belief? People can change their minds... is there some sort of unbaptizism they can undergo?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Well, doesn't that view disregard the concept of religion as a belief? People can change their minds... is there some sort of unbaptizism they can undergo?
    Yes, it disregards this concept.
    If you are asking about my country I honestly don't know. Even if they can be unbaptized people don't do this.
    But my country is 90% Catholic (on paper) so there are no conversions in general. The entire thing is quite homogeneous over here.
    The other thing is how many people are actually believers.

MBTI
    ENFP

I really don't believe in a God, so I think I'm a real atheist.
    I rejected religion because there is no universal a priori agreement on the matter, and all that remains is the senses. Religion is a rejection of the senses - a rejection of the only faculty we have to decide what is real and what is not real. Knowledge handed down through generations is only helpful to me inasmuch as I can either understand and retrace it through reason or apply it practically. For instance, I accept Newton's laws because they are reasonable, and though I do not understand computers or DVDs, I will accept them because they are of practicle use to me. Religion does not stand to the unbending code of reason that I apply to it, and it is of no use to me practically.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    What should 'real' atheism entail?

Moreover, what distinguishes 'real' from 'unreal' atheism?
    You can take the square root of a real atheist.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ENFP

Hold your horses! I didn't think atheism was such an exclusive club.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

"Organized atheism" is kind of pointless.

Not necessarily stupid, just entirely pointless. It's simply the absence of any belief.

Anyone who claims 100% certainty of God's nonexistence (or of anything besides his own existence, for that matter) is delusional, so "positive atheism" isn't even worth discussing. Are you asking how many people have absolute certainty that there is no God? What exactly do you mean by "on paper"?

Besides that, so-called "real atheists" are those who simply lack total faith in any particular religious system.

I rejected the Christianity my mother raised me with, largely due to way too many obvious logical inconsistencies, but I still support a number of the values associated with it--just for different reasons that I worked out on my own, not because they're associated with it.

Being an atheist doesn't mean you automatically dismiss any and all moral values that the popular religions promote--that's stupid. It just means you lack any particular religious faith because you don't see a reason to devote yourself wholly to any particular one over any particular other.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    Hold your horses! I didn't think atheism was such an exclusive club.
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    "Organized atheism" is kind of pointless.

Not necessarily stupid, just entirely pointless. It's simply the absence of any belief.

Anyone who claims 100% certainty of God's nonexistence (or of anything besides his own existence, for that matter) is delusional, so "positive atheism" isn't even worth discussing. Are you asking how many people have absolute certainty that there is no God? What exactly do you mean by "on paper"?

Besides that, so-called "real atheists" are those who simply lack total faith in any particular religious system.

I rejected the Christianity my mother raised me with, largely due to way too many obvious logical inconsistencies, but I still support a number of the values associated with it--just for different reasons that I worked out on my own, not because they're associated with it.

Being an atheist doesn't mean you automatically dismiss any and all moral values that the popular religions promote--that's stupid. It just means you lack any particular religious faith because you don't see a reason to devote yourself wholly to any particular one over any particular other.
    I'm going to defend AO here.

To fully appreciate this topic I think one must change their perspective of thinking to fit the cultural parameters of AO's country. As he said earlier:

I am sorry if I am too vague. Which is probably because of cultural differences. In my country it was completely normal to have lists of religious people in the times od communism. So asking "What are you on the paper?" stayed as a phrase to this day.

I am simply not familiar about how you do things in the US.

What I am asking how many of you never got baptised or whatever the first ritual in other religions is.

I don't think he meant for this topic to divide people into "true believers of athiesm" and those "who claim to be athiests but are really not because they participated in some kind of religious ceremony or share moral similarities". Despite that I am unable to read his mind I would guess his question was of a simpler matter. (Note what I bolded!) I think his usage of the words "true" and "real" here are probably not the best as it denotes negative connotations towards those athiests, like myself, who are not athiest "on paper" according to his culture.

Now this concept of "on paper" does not exist here in the US and probably not much elsewhere in the "Western World". I think some of us are mistaking whatever religion they truely believe in openly at this moment to be their religion "on paper" even if they had been previously baptised. However this does not fit the criteria that AO was looking for.

By claiming to be an "Unreal Atheist" in this context, I assume, does not mean that your belief in atheism is on a different level than a "Real Atheist". It is simply a term to differentiate those who have been baptised/whatever and those who have not.

In other words guys, I don't think AO is being intentionally judgmental, exclusive, or offensive. But due to these misuderstandings we could be interpreting him as being so.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.