What are you on paper AO?
    Atheist.

I have never prayed in my entire life.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

When I was young I used to pray the "give me a sign or I'm not going to start believing in you" prayer.

Didn't work. By the way.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP

I am an ateist, actually third generation of a family who either rejected the default state-religion in Denmark (Lutheran protestantism) by not taking communion, called 'confirmation', after having been forced to be baptised as helpless babies, or by simply not being baptised in the first place. My kids are the 4th generation.

I consider organised religion, or any superstition allowed to interfere with your relations towards yourself, the world or other people to be very harmful and utterly counterproductive to global ethical progress.

BTW I used to find it a bit offensive to have to define myself in (albeit negative) terms of religion. I don't believe that Elvis Presley is alive either but I really can't see any point in defining myself or others as 'A-elvisian' or the even more comical 'Elvis-agnostics'. But I accept it and am quite activist about it these days.

The burden of proof is not on us. It's on the religionists / elvisionists.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    INTPs and their hair-splitting semantics. So you're non-theistic... as opposed to a "non-theist" because that term would connote a label, which would connote an ideology, or anti-ideology as it were? I suppose I can dig it, but that makes my head hurt.

(And stop hoping you're psychotic so that you can inherit the "mad genius" shock factor when you achieve something of merit or to absolve yourself of a failed endeavor. )
    Gawd-DAMN! You kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart&Brain View Post
    I am an ateist, actually third generation of a family who either rejected the default state-religion in Denmark (Lutheran protestantism) by not taking communion, called 'confirmation', after having been forced to be baptised as helpless babies, or by simply not being baptised in the first place. My kids are the 4th generation.

I consider organised religion, or any superstition allowed to interfere with your relations towards yourself, the world or other people to be very harmful and utterly counterproductive to global ethical progress.

BTW I used to find it a bit offensive to have to define myself in (albeit negative) terms of religion. I don't believe that Elvis Presley is alive either but I really can't see any point in defining myself or others as 'A-elvisian' or the even more comical 'Elvis-agnostics'. But I accept it and am quite activist about it these days.

The burden of proof is not on us. It's on the religionists / elvisionists.
    I am pleased to meet you H&B and to hear that you are a third generation atheist.

So do forgive me for being skeptical.

It seems that you do reject Lutheranism, at least in part, for lack of evidence. In fact you say it is Lutheranism that is required to produce the evidence.

And yet here you are, H&B, on a site devoted to MBTI.

And yet MBTI has no more supporting evidence than Lutheranism.

So let me put it bluntly to you -

Have you left the religion of Lutheranism only to join the cult of MBTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have noticed that there is alot of people on this forum that claim to be an atheists and agnostics.

So I am wondering how many of you are officially atheists and how many of you have decided to live as an atheists even if that is not what you are on the paper?
    Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion on paper ?"

Btw. why did you reject your religion ?
    I am an atheist from birth, my family are Christians. But on paper I'm Christian because you should know how it's like in Croatia so my declared Christians because nobody wants to lose his job because nationality/religion, and that was (and still is) the case here.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have noticed that there is alot of people on this forum that claim to be an atheists and agnostics.

So I am wondering how many of you are officially atheists and how many of you have decided to live as an atheists even if that is not what you are on the paper?
    Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion on paper ?"

Btw. why did you reject your religion ?
    I've been baptised, so I'm not sure. I don't recall ever telling the government one way or the other.

I've never really accepted religion. I was sent to a sunday school for immersion at one point when I was young, but the teachers could never explain anything to my satisfaction. Discussions always wound up at some self-affirming logic like "because the bible says so" which was not convincing in the slightest. Simple stuff like, how can a being of perfect Good damn a human to pain and suffering forever? To my perspective at the time, that would be like a parent who beat their child to near-death daily for stepping out of line once. Absolutely horrifying.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I'm not a real atheist.

As they say, fake it till you make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    INTP

I was baptized as an infant, I don't know if they still count me in their records. As far as childhood church membership is concerned, I guess "on paper" I'm simultaneously Methodist, Prebsyterian, Luthuran, Baptist, and non-denominational Christian (we moved around a lot, and American Protestants are a rather inclusive bunch, at least in regards to rival denominations). Of course, I self-identify as an agnostic anyway, so I don't know if you count me as sufficiently atheistic for your survey.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

What should 'real' atheism entail?

Moreover, what distinguishes 'real' from 'unreal' atheism?