• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Open Mindedness vs. Close Mindedness

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
To people who are halfway intelligent on this forum - I'm in need of some advice or at least an outside view. Tell me in your own words the difference between close mindedness vs. open mindedness.

Bonus points if it is lengthy and makes me think.

Mole

Permabanned
To people who are halfway intelligent on this forum - I'm in need of some advice or at least an outside view. Tell me in your own words the difference between close mindedness vs. open mindedness.

If you won't do something wrong, they accuse you of being close minded.

Just as if you don't agree with their call, they call you judgmental.

Both are examples of emotional blackmail.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If you won't do something wrong, they accuse you of being close minded.

Just as if you don't agree with their call, they call you judgmental.

Both are examples of emotional blackmail.
I have my own words for this, I call it imposed thought projection.

Do tell me more about emotional blackmail.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think when dealing with this subject it might be best to think in terms of a spectrum.

At one side lies close mindedness, the state of perfect separation from the external ideological world, and on the other side open mindedness, the state of perfect separation from the internal preferences and dogmas.

Either of these states is very desirable if the development of strong and resilient ideas is your goal. However, both of these states are incredibly difficult if not impossible to attain.

Why are these states desirable?
Both of them ensure that your information is drawn from a reliable source.

Closeminded:
If all your information is drawn from an internal source, then it will only relate to your personal experiences and concepts. This will totally erase the problem of semantics which plague philosophy. Justice in your thoughts will always be justice in your understanding, you will never have to deal with the ideas others have assigned to justice and therefore never be derailed by their seemingly senseless philosophy.

If you are purely close minded, you will not judge external ideologies based on their applicability to the situations of others, but only how they can serve yourself. This way you will be free from the seductive effect of popular success. You will not seek to be a doctor simply because being a doctor has proven beneficial to others, you will seek to be a doctor because being a doctor aligns itself perfectly with your values.

Openminded:
If you do not value the information that is produced by your subjective experiences any more than that produced by the experiences of others, and also value the experiences of others in perfect balance then you will be free of the dangers of favouritism. (long sentence haha)

Awareness of the interdependency of all things and the essential unity of existence is a result of openmindedness. Things are not judged according to the emotional response they generate, they are judged only according to their usefulness, They are not judged based on prior predjudice but according to their effects.

Why are these states difficult to reach?

Closedminded:
To completely rely on the self and reap it's benefits, a person must have relied on himself since the conception of his first ideas. If this self reliance is attained prior to the adoption of ideas from external minds then it will only serve to protect ideas which suffer from semantic uncertainty.
Since it is improbable to have this stance at birth, the person must therefore purge himself of all ideas and start from scratch. This is very difficult and I think a good example of it not succeeding is Descartes.

Openminded:
The negation of the personal drive is difficult to acchieve. This negation is a necessary aspect of perfect openmindedness. The emotional desire to propogate the self will always conflict with neutrality of information. However the heightened awareness of unity of existence weakens the sense of self and therefore makes aquisition of goals incredibly difficult.

The result is essentially a battle of reason and biological imperative which is unlikely to provide any of the peace that the open minded wish to obtain.

Can the self ever be valued on an even level with the external? I don't know.

Anything else?

I think most people find themselves somewhere in the middle, people who consider themselves open minded really just look for what will serve them best in everything and people who are called closedminded really just don't see a benefit to accepting useless information.

I pulled this right out of my ass by the way.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Close-minded: if you think that you are right and other person are wrong when you guys are talking about ideas, principles, opinions, or theories.

Open-minded: If someone insult you and you didn't find it insulting, but yet you understand why he/she insult you.

coberst

Fairmindedness is equal to open mindedness.

Fair-mindedness is the corner-stone of CT (Critical Thinking). Without fair-mindedness there is no Critical Thinking.

To be fair-minded one must be vigilant (consciousness plus intention) of the need to treat all viewpoints alike. This demands that we adhere to intellectual standards such as accuracy and sound reasoning, which are unaffected by self-interest.

A contrast with fair-mindedness is intellectual self-centeredness.

Fair-mindedness is a challenging task that demands a family of character traits: intellectual humility, courage, empathy, honesty, perseverance, and a confidence in the value of reason.

Our culture places maximum value not on fair-mindedness but upon self-interest, and maximizing production, and consumption.

Intellectual humility begins with the recognition that absolute certainty regarding any matter of fact is beyond human capacity. There exists no mind-independent reality that we have the capacity to know. We can know only that which is “colored” by our experiences and historical perspective.

Our common sense views, coupled with philosophical tradition and religious dogma, all teach us that such is not the case, that we can find absolute certainty. This cultural tradition works aggressively against our goal of intellectual humility thus demanding that we must become more intellectually sophisticated in order to gain the level of intellectual humility required.

Intellectual courage is a difficult assignment. We all tend to place great value on our own opinion, which is more often than not just something that we grabbed as it flew by. But this is even more of a problem when we are “wedded” to something that we have a strong commitment to, for what ever reason. Our political affiliation is one example.

Intellectual courage is especially difficult, and even dangerous to our well being when we hold ideas that society considers them to be dangerous; even though we are confident that they are rationally grounded. Society often punishes severely all forms of nonconformity; the execution of Socrates by the citizens of Athens might serve as a good example.

By developing this character trait of intellectual courage we will often be ostracized from a group or even a large community. Such an experience will give us incentive to recognize that most people live their lives in such a manner as to be secure in the middle of the approval of those about us.

Intellectual courage ain’t for sissies!

Intellectual empathy is a consciousness that one must engage the imagination in an effort to intellectually place your self into the shoes of another so as to comprehend that other person as well as possible. To accomplish this transaction we must try to learn as much as possible about the other person’s situation so as to reconstruct that person’s assumptions, premises, and ideas.

It appears to me that civilization is presently constructed on the firm foundation of baked-in bias, that is to say that religion forms the foundation of today’s civilization. If this is correct one might ask the question ‘can we construct a world on a foundation of reason when we begin with a world where the understanding of and confidence in reason is seldom observed’?

Many of these ideas were gleaned from the book Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life by Richard Paul and Linda Elder

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedQueen View Post
Close-minded: if you think that you are right and other person are wrong when you guys are talking about ideas, principles, opinions, or theories.

What if you actually are right? Does that make you closed minded?

There are no right or wrong when you're talking about ideas, principles, opinions, or theories.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Wouldn't a person that is has an unhealthy open mind lack identity?

That is it would be hard to know where they stand?

Wouldn't that just be another form of close minded?

Wouldn't they overlap?

WOuldn't this make the two terms pointless?

ERROR, ERROR, ERROR.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Wouldn't a person that is has an unhealthy open mind lack identity?

That is it would be hard to know where they stand?

Wouldn't that just be another form of close minded?

Wouldn't they overlap?

WOuldn't this make the two terms pointless?

ERROR, ERROR, ERROR.

Identity isn't necessarily conducive to truth

It wouldn't be hard to know where they stand, they stand nowhere.

I don't see how that's closedminded.

They're not pointless, just produce similar effects.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
To explore what it means to be open minded, let's first get a definition from an objective source in order to clarify our thinking.

o⋅pen-mind⋅ed
1. having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments.
open minded definition | Dictionary.com

If being close minded is the opposite then it would be "having a mind that is not receptive to new ideas or arguments". Now that we have precise definitions then we can explore what it means to be open minded and also some of the suggestions already given.

First it has been asked how open mindedness relates to the desire to be right. The desire to be right is actually in direct opposition to the desire to be open minded. This is because established ideas have already been tested. Therefore established ideas are more likely to be correct and any person with a strong desire to be right should stick only to established ideas. New ideas are untested and therefore have a high probability of being incorrect. Any person who behaves logically and has a strong desire to be right is therefore close minded.

In another post it has been suggested that a "scientific mind" is an open mind. Well this depends on what one means by a scientific mind. If person A is open to new hypotheses and wants to test the merit of them then they are open minded. If person B studies science heavily only to find out established facts and disregard everything else then they are close minded. Both person A and person B could describe themeselves as scientificially minded and therefore being scientifically minded is irrelevant to being open minded due to the ambiguity of the phrase "scientifically minded".

The suggestion that a scientific mind means an open mind also ignores situations that have nothing to do with science. Will an interest in physics teach a person to be open to new fashion trends? Will studying psychology lead a person to try an unusual new dish? Of course not. Not only is it misleading to suggest science correlates to an open mind but it is often irrelevant.

The confusion here comes from the fact that new science relies on open mindedness. A person must be open to new ideas to discover something new. However open mindedness does not rely on science. If open mindedness can be taught then it would either come from sources which actively teach a person to listen to others (parents, kindergarten, or religion) or from sources which encourage creativity (such as various arts).

Now you may be asking "is it healthy to have a totally open mind?" That is an entirely different question. For that one must first define what it means to be healthy. However I think after examining what it means to have an open mind in the extreme most will conclude that it is not healthy to have an extremely open mind at the expense of other attributes.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if you actually are right? Does that make you closed minded?

Thank you!

The opposite of "open" as a verb may be "close", but as an adjective, as in the word "open-minded", the opposite is most definitely closed-minded.

n00bs.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was too lazy to read the whole thing, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's point.

I often hear the misconception that being open-minded means considering all possibilities as equal, which I believe is false. I get this often from religious debates. To me, being open-minded simply means that, given adequate evidence countering a claim you made, you accept your initial claim to be false. This can be for anything.

For example: If, during a religious debate, you proclaim yourself to be an atheist due to the evidence you currently have, you are not being close-minded. However, if you found reasonable evidence that proves the existence of God, and you don't reevaluate your stance, you are being close-minded.

Basically, an open-minded person is open to the truth, regardless of whether or not it clashes with their current opinions or ideals.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
In my opinion...

Closed Mindedness -
Complete unwillingness to consider anything that doesn't conform to some sort of preconceived ideal, pattern, standard.

Open Mindedness -
Willingness to consider things outside of one's own standards, ideals, patterns. Note that a willingness to consider does not equal willingness to engage in.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Thank you!

The opposite of "open" as a verb may be "close", but as an adjective, as in the word "open-minded", the opposite is most definitely closed-minded.

n00bs.
Simulatedworld has just demonstrated what it means to be an idiot. Before we change this tone - because nothing productive is being accomplished. Let's dissect what he has done wrong - got my own amusement

I asked in your own words, that means, does not imply individual understanding. It flat out means it. Quoting the dictionary earns you a fail. Also, beating around the bush does not answer the question. It just prolongs it with fluff.

You're dismissed.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Oh ESTPs. You win in Se land so you win across the board.

I love the simplicity. Love it.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^ Oh ESTPs. You win in Se land so you win across the board.

I love the simplicity. Love it.
A non-moderator shouldn't have to tell you - knock off your trolling. It isn't impressing anyone, least of all me.