• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Open Mindedness vs. Close Mindedness

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I generally agree. But explain Saudi Arabia.

Not that I'm well informed, but if I recall correctly Saudi Arabia is very Islam-centric, meaning that its dogma is foremost in sociological influence, which leads to censorship, prohibitions, etc. Even education is oriented as such. However, this is basically an artificially imposed structure and one that may change in the following decades as urbanization progresses ("city air makes free".) A brief look at Wikipedia confirms the Islamic orientation and also states that until relatively recently the standard of life had been nomadic. If Saudi Arabia continues this trend of westernization (globalization more like) then it may very well be that the Islamic framework is relaxed or reinterpreted in the future. But this is just guesswork on my part, like I've said I'm not well informed.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Not that I'm well informed, but if I recall correctly Saudi Arabia is very Islam-centric, meaning that its dogma is foremost in sociological influence, which leads to censorship, prohibitions, etc. Even education is oriented as such. However, this is basically an artificially imposed structure and one that may change in the following decades as urbanization progresses ("city air makes free".) A brief look at Wikipedia confirms the Islamic orientation and also states that until relatively recently the standard of life had been nomadic. If Saudi Arabia continues this trend of westernization (globalization more like) then it may very well be that the Islamic framework is relaxed or reinterpreted in the future. But this is just guesswork on my part, like I've said I'm not well informed.

Saudi Arabia is the most narrow minded of all the middle east countries. But also the richest. Maybe something to do with Mecca.

But Turkey also has a society based on Islam, does it not?

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
But Turkey also has a society based on Islam, does it not?

Nah, that's not the case. Islam is the predominant religion here, but the state itself is a secular one and advocates modern ideals. I'm an atheist, myself. However, the interaction/conflict between modernity imposed from the top and a more Islamic tradition, especially in the less-urbanized, poorer regions forms the main axis of political opposition these days. It's really rather complex, but suffice to say that there's historically been a great problem in wealth distribution, and sustained feodalism in the eastern regions over here, which still persists. But the society itself is not based on Islam.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Turkey is a secular democracy. The military has destroyed many a government to ensure the former trait. Not that I'm overly informed about Turkish political history, but from my understanding, Modern Turkery is a merger of many different cultures and belief systems.

Contrasted with Saudi Arabia, where the Quran is the Constitution and Sharia law is the law of the land. Seems pretty Islamic to me.