• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Open Mindedness vs. Close Mindedness

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Openminded people are also closedminded when you think about it.

They will not deviate from accepting.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, I'd expect an open-minded person to just accept the free knowledge and use it to improve future trials.

But no, Se has physical dominance to establish. ("You're an idiot", "You're dismissed", "You're trolling". Carry on reading the immediate surface meaning, cause if it ain't right there jumpin' out at ya, it ain't happenin', right?)

If you want to discover greater depth of open-mindedness, my Ni-inferior little friend, I'd recommend that you check your S-ego at the door and stop interpreting everything as a call to arms.

EDIT: "You're not impressing anyone, least of all me." This is so telling. You're saying, "you're not making an immediate impression upon anyone in a concrete way, so why bother?"

And that's just the problem!

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Personally, I'd expect an open-minded person to just accept the free knowledge and use it to improve future trials.

But no, Se has physical dominance to establish. ("You're an idiot", "You're dismissed", "You're trolling". Carry on reading the immediate surface meaning, cause if it ain't right there jumpin' out at ya, it ain't happenin', right?)

If you want to discover greater depth of open-mindedness, my Ni-inferior little friend, I'd recommend that you check your S-ego at the door and stop interpreting everything as a call to arms.

EDIT: "You're not impressing anyone, least of all me." This is so telling. You're saying, "you're not making an immediate impression upon anyone in a concrete way, so why bother?"

And that's just the problem!
And the bruised ego surfaces. You can bring more to the plate - I asked for that in the opening question as well. I've dismissed you once - I'm done debating with you.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you not picking up any relevant points from this?

Do you need it spelled out for you in plain ESTP language?

READ.BETWEEN.THE.LINES

If you want to be more open-minded, you need to stop doing precisely what you're doing now.

I'm illustrating the solution to the very issue you asked about, and you don't even notice it because Se has already picked up on "HE'S TRYING TO TALK SHIT" and gone into defensive mode, and so you're erroneously assuming that nothing I say has any value or applicability to the goal you seek.

And this is why you struggle with open-mindedness.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Are you not picking up any relevant points from this?

Do you need it spelled out for you in plain ESTP language?

READ.BETWEEN.THE.LINES

If you want to be more open-minded, you need to stop doing precisely what you're doing now.

I'm illustrating the solution to the very issue you asked about, and you don't even notice it because Se has already picked up on "HE'S TRYING TO TALK SHIT" and gone into defensive mode, and so you're erroneously assuming that nothing I say has any value or applicability to the goal you seek.

And this is why you struggle with open-mindedness.
You're persistance leaves me to stick you on block. Before i do -
You are the one reading between the lines. I have no desire to be open minded. I made that choice a long time ago. Being close minded isn't a bad thing either - only certain intellectual fanatics have a stigma against it.

My GOAL, is to figure other people out. People imposing their pretentious bullshit is one of the reasons why. Consider yourself blocked.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol wow.

So you have no interest in open-mindedness?

And yet you think you can figure other people out with any meaningful context?

Se-riffic, you are amazing. <3

Take note, everybody--this is the guy who was just a moment ago busy telling you all what it looks like when someone demonstrates how to be an idiot.

He must be the finest judge.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
lol wow.

So you have no interest in open-mindedness?

And yet you think you can figure other people out with any meaningful context?

Se-riffic, you are amazing. <3

Take note, everybody--this is the guy who was just a moment ago busy telling you all what it looks like when someone demonstrates how to be an idiot.

He must be the finest judge.

All right, honest question:

The other person's good or bad responses aside...

What exactly are you trying to achieve? :huh:

You're setting him up to have a reactionary response to anything you have to say... for most, if you taunt them and say things ye're pretty sure are inflammatory - they become much less likely to listen to what you have to say, to be open minded.

If it's for personal amusement, all I would personally do is shrug and go "Hmm, okay". But if you're honestly trying to contribute or show someone what they're saying might be different from what they're practicing...?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All right, honest question:

The other person's good or bad responses aside...

What exactly are you trying to achieve? :huh:

You're setting him up to have a reactionary response to anything you have to say... for most, if you taunt them and say things ye're pretty sure are inflammatory - they become much less likely to listen to what you have to say, to be open minded.

If it's for personal amusement, all I would personally do is shrug and go "Hmm, okay". But if you're honestly trying to contribute or show someone what they're saying might be different from what they're practicing...?

ESTPs are far and away my favorite type to fuck around with.

They tend to give such predictably hostile reactions; it's easy to manipulate them and create a show for other Ns who may happen to be watching as the ESTP swings and misses, swings and misses, swings and misses, all the while breaking everything in his path.

Like a little kid with a baseball bat in a china shop, and the iNtuitive idea he's swatting at is an irritating little fly that he can't quite wrap his head around.

I love to create controlled chaos and that's what fucking with ESTPs does, especially over the internet where their physical prowess is a non-issue.

Bottom line, entertainment.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
...hmm, all right. Thanks for the explanation.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
ESTPs are far and away my favorite type to fuck around with.

They tend to give such predictably hostile reactions; it's easy to manipulate them and create a show for other Ns who may happen to be watching as the ESTP swings and misses, swings and misses, swings and misses, all the while breaking everything in his path.

I love to create controlled chaos and that's what fucking with ESTPs does, especially over the internet where their physical prowess is a non-issue.

Bottom line, entertainment.

MBTI is theoretical. Only 'theoretically' are you fucking with a certain group of people. If, per chance, MBTI is a complete fallacy....you are only fucking with yourself:)

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Simulated World, I hate to break this to you - I get off on arguing and pissing contests :eek:

[Edit] Duuuude, I have teh mad skillzorz of physical prowess. Gonna pwn me a real life ENTP shortly. EXCELLENT.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The difference between close-mindedness and open-mindedness...

I've been thinking about this for a while because I like to think that I'm an open-minded person. I'm sure that no one ever intentionally labels themselves as close-minded, that's for sure. However, it's fairly easy to bring a few people to mind that you feel are close-minded. Sooo, I've found that it's common to become so sure of your views--because you feel as if you've researched them thoroughly enough--that you begin to ignore and criticize any others that challenge them. And that's the very definition of close-mindedness.

For example, I'm a huge supporter of gay marriage. I don't like admitting this, but whenever someone expresses their opinions and reasons for opposing gay marriage, I automatically filter their words out of my brain. I'm subconsciously thinking--hey, I've done my research, my beliefs are "right" and theirs are "wrong", I don't need to listen to this religious shit any longer.

In order to be truly open-minded, you need to be willing to really listen and think about all opposing views--and then you need to respect that person for expressing those views, even if not one ounce of your body agrees with them. You can't instantly knock them aside because you've already deemed them unworthy of consideration.

The argument against gay marriage still really pisses me off, but I've recognized that those views aren't any more "right" or "wrong" than my own. I mean, that's what they believe. A belief is a belief. In their minds, their God's word holds more weight. And I guess that's kind of understandable, since they really believe in that whole eternal bbq party for sinners thing.

If you think that you're an open-minded person, you need to constantly be questioning that open-mindedness, otherwise you'll end up slipping into the same ditch you dug.

I dunno, this post is probably really obvious, but that's what I think.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
A complex question. Yet so simple.
It is about the doors.

About the position and the number. Of the doors.

IN > There is one door. It is in the front.
EN > There is no door.
IS > There is two doors. One in the front and one in the middle.
ES > There is one door. It is in the middle.

Why?
There are two chambers. The chamber inside, and the antechamber.
In other words, there are four ways to be open vs. close minded.

1. You are open in the inside and closed on the outside.
2. You are open in the inside and on the outside.
3. You are closed in the inside and on the outside.
4. You are open on the outside and closed in the inside.

In respective order.

Mole

Permabanned
I love the simplicity. Love it.

The interesting thing about game playing is how relentless it is.

The game player doesn't get bored because he repeats the game over and over again.. And this is the point. As it is the repetition that induces the trance of the game.

And it really works, the game player is entranced and so is in a good position to induce he same trance in others.

And just as alcoholics like drinking companions, game players need companions to play the game.

The price game players pay is heavy - and the price is personal authenticity and genuine relationships with others.

But the heaviest price is paid by the children of game players, just as the children of alcoholics pay a heavy price.

But just like alcoholics, game players can't stop and don't want to stop.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I was too lazy to read the whole thing, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's point.

I often hear the misconception that being open-minded means considering all possibilities as equal, which I believe is false. I get this often from religious debates. To me, being open-minded simply means that, given adequate evidence countering a claim you made, you accept your initial claim to be false. This can be for anything.

For example: If, during a religious debate, you proclaim yourself to be an atheist due to the evidence you currently have, you are not being close-minded. However, if you found reasonable evidence that proves the existence of God, and you don't reevaluate your stance, you are being close-minded.

Basically, an open-minded person is open to the truth, regardless of whether or not it clashes with their current opinions or ideals.

I had a lovely logical path set up and you had to go ahead and put my thoughts to words some hours before I could do so.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The interesting thing about game playing is how relentless it is.

The game player doesn't get bored because he repeats the game over and over again.. And this is the point. As it is the repetition that induces the trance of the game.

And it really works, the game player is entranced and so is in a good position to induce he same trance in others.

And just as alcoholics like drinking companions, game players need companions to play the game.

The price game players pay is heavy - and the price is personal authenticity and genuine relationships with others.

But the heaviest price is paid by the children of game players, just as the children of alcoholics pay a heavy price.

But just like alcoholics, game players can't stop and don't want to stop.
LOOOOOL. Are you for real?

What you've described is a gaming fanatic. They shouldn't be confused with a sane gamer - like myself.

I could go into a long winded rant - but it often goes on deaf ears. Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think you speak mostly hot air. Rather, instead, I'll just say it's DUMB to compare an alcoholic's addiction to a gamer. A sane gamer oft is a caffeine addict if anything.

Mole

Permabanned
LOOOOOL. Are you for real?

What you've described is a gaming fanatic. They shouldn't be confused with a sane gamer - like myself.

I could go into a long winded rant - but it often goes on deaf ears. Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think you speak mostly hot air. Rather, instead, I'll just say it's DUMB to compare an alcoholic's addiction to a gamer. A sane gamer oft is a caffeine addict if anything.

We simply have a misunderstanding.

I am referring to those who are addicted to playing psychological games.

I am not referring to those who play formal games on the internet.

I think our misunderstanding arises because both are referred to as game players.

Whereas I am only referring to those who are addicted to playing psychological games,