User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I generally agree. But explain Saudi Arabia.
    Not that I'm well informed, but if I recall correctly Saudi Arabia is very Islam-centric, meaning that its dogma is foremost in sociological influence, which leads to censorship, prohibitions, etc. Even education is oriented as such. However, this is basically an artificially imposed structure and one that may change in the following decades as urbanization progresses ("city air makes free".) A brief look at Wikipedia confirms the Islamic orientation and also states that until relatively recently the standard of life had been nomadic. If Saudi Arabia continues this trend of westernization (globalization more like) then it may very well be that the Islamic framework is relaxed or reinterpreted in the future. But this is just guesswork on my part, like I've said I'm not well informed.
    Not really.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Not that I'm well informed, but if I recall correctly Saudi Arabia is very Islam-centric, meaning that its dogma is foremost in sociological influence, which leads to censorship, prohibitions, etc. Even education is oriented as such. However, this is basically an artificially imposed structure and one that may change in the following decades as urbanization progresses ("city air makes free".) A brief look at Wikipedia confirms the Islamic orientation and also states that until relatively recently the standard of life had been nomadic. If Saudi Arabia continues this trend of westernization (globalization more like) then it may very well be that the Islamic framework is relaxed or reinterpreted in the future. But this is just guesswork on my part, like I've said I'm not well informed.

Saudi Arabia is the most narrow minded of all the middle east countries. But also the richest. Maybe something to do with Mecca.

But Turkey also has a society based on Islam, does it not?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post

But Turkey also has a society based on Islam, does it not?
    Nah, that's not the case. Islam is the predominant religion here, but the state itself is a secular one and advocates modern ideals. I'm an atheist, myself. However, the interaction/conflict between modernity imposed from the top and a more Islamic tradition, especially in the less-urbanized, poorer regions forms the main axis of political opposition these days. It's really rather complex, but suffice to say that there's historically been a great problem in wealth distribution, and sustained feodalism in the eastern regions over here, which still persists. But the society itself is not based on Islam.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Turkey is a secular democracy. The military has destroyed many a government to ensure the former trait. Not that I'm overly informed about Turkish political history, but from my understanding, Modern Turkery is a merger of many different cultures and belief systems.

Contrasted with Saudi Arabia, where the Quran is the Constitution and Sharia law is the law of the land. Seems pretty Islamic to me.