User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen View Post
    There are no right or wrong when you're talking about ideas, principles, opinions, or theories.

Agreed.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Wouldn't a person that is has an unhealthy open mind lack identity?

That is it would be hard to know where they stand?

Wouldn't that just be another form of close minded?

Wouldn't they overlap?

WOuldn't this make the two terms pointless?

ERROR, ERROR, ERROR.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Wouldn't a person that is has an unhealthy open mind lack identity?

That is it would be hard to know where they stand?

Wouldn't that just be another form of close minded?

Wouldn't they overlap?

WOuldn't this make the two terms pointless?

ERROR, ERROR, ERROR.
    Identity isn't necessarily conducive to truth

It wouldn't be hard to know where they stand, they stand nowhere.

I don't see how that's closedminded.

They're not pointless, just produce similar effects.
    wails from the crypt.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

To explore what it means to be open minded, let's first get a definition from an objective source in order to clarify our thinking.

o?pen-mind?ed
    1. having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments.
    open minded definition | Dictionary.com

If being close minded is the opposite then it would be "having a mind that is not receptive to new ideas or arguments". Now that we have precise definitions then we can explore what it means to be open minded and also some of the suggestions already given.

First it has been asked how open mindedness relates to the desire to be right. The desire to be right is actually in direct opposition to the desire to be open minded. This is because established ideas have already been tested. Therefore established ideas are more likely to be correct and any person with a strong desire to be right should stick only to established ideas. New ideas are untested and therefore have a high probability of being incorrect. Any person who behaves logically and has a strong desire to be right is therefore close minded.

In another post it has been suggested that a "scientific mind" is an open mind. Well this depends on what one means by a scientific mind. If person A is open to new hypotheses and wants to test the merit of them then they are open minded. If person B studies science heavily only to find out established facts and disregard everything else then they are close minded. Both person A and person B could describe themeselves as scientificially minded and therefore being scientifically minded is irrelevant to being open minded due to the ambiguity of the phrase "scientifically minded".

The suggestion that a scientific mind means an open mind also ignores situations that have nothing to do with science. Will an interest in physics teach a person to be open to new fashion trends? Will studying psychology lead a person to try an unusual new dish? Of course not. Not only is it misleading to suggest science correlates to an open mind but it is often irrelevant.

The confusion here comes from the fact that new science relies on open mindedness. A person must be open to new ideas to discover something new. However open mindedness does not rely on science. If open mindedness can be taught then it would either come from sources which actively teach a person to listen to others (parents, kindergarten, or religion) or from sources which encourage creativity (such as various arts).

Now you may be asking "is it healthy to have a totally open mind?" That is an entirely different question. For that one must first define what it means to be healthy. However I think after examining what it means to have an open mind in the extreme most will conclude that it is not healthy to have an extremely open mind at the expense of other attributes.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    What if you actually are right? Does that make you closed minded?
    Thank you!

The opposite of "open" as a verb may be "close", but as an adjective, as in the word "open-minded", the opposite is most definitely closed-minded.

n00bs.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was too lazy to read the whole thing, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's point.

I often hear the misconception that being open-minded means considering all possibilities as equal, which I believe is false. I get this often from religious debates. To me, being open-minded simply means that, given adequate evidence countering a claim you made, you accept your initial claim to be false. This can be for anything.

For example: If, during a religious debate, you proclaim yourself to be an atheist due to the evidence you currently have, you are not being close-minded. However, if you found reasonable evidence that proves the existence of God, and you don't reevaluate your stance, you are being close-minded.

Basically, an open-minded person is open to the truth, regardless of whether or not it clashes with their current opinions or ideals.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    xxxx

In my opinion...

Closed Mindedness -
    Complete unwillingness to consider anything that doesn't conform to some sort of preconceived ideal, pattern, standard.

Open Mindedness -
    Willingness to consider things outside of one's own standards, ideals, patterns. Note that a willingness to consider does not equal willingness to engage in.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Thank you!

The opposite of "open" as a verb may be "close", but as an adjective, as in the word "open-minded", the opposite is most definitely closed-minded.

n00bs.
    Simulatedworld has just demonstrated what it means to be an idiot. Before we change this tone - because nothing productive is being accomplished. Let's dissect what he has done wrong - got my own amusement

I asked in your own words, that means, does not imply individual understanding. It flat out means it. Quoting the dictionary earns you a fail. Also, beating around the bush does not answer the question. It just prolongs it with fluff.

You're dismissed.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Oh ESTPs. You win in Se land so you win across the board.

I love the simplicity. Love it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Oh ESTPs. You win in Se land so you win across the board.

I love the simplicity. Love it.
    A non-moderator shouldn't have to tell you - knock off your trolling. It isn't impressing anyone, least of all me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]