User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    As for the subject at hand, I'm an ENTP. If I have a good idea, then I will share it with everyone, regardless of the havoc I might unleash.
    Okay, I guess I can see why you would do that. That's how an ENTP works.
    I've always viewed knowledge and wisdom as things to be shared, for the betterment of us all. If you have a surplus of either, then in my view, you have an social obligation to share it.
    If someone said that beautiful people should be obligated to walk around naked in public regardless of their modesty, you'd say that was absurd, right? Well... I think that's kind of absurd, for the same reason.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Everything is absurd when you really think about it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Everything is absurd when you really think about it.
    Yep. I suppose you could even say thought is itself absurd. It isn't really useful in most aspects of human existence, but it's something no human can ignore, even if they do it badly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Wise men don't pursue truths, they pursue the knowledge to find their own.
    And then they encourage others with their experiences.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I suppose the fact that I feel that way has something to do with having Ni and Ti, but no Ne or Te. Because people with one of those tend to be more willing to expose knowledge to... them.
    Ni and Ti are how you gather facts are process them. not how you reach conclusions. people with 'one of those' tend to understand systems and ideas and logic external to them. their value framework is formed on the inside, applied on the outside

by your thinking, black slavery was right because black people couldn't think for themselves or look after themselves...so, do you agree with slavery?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    Ni and Ti are how you gather facts are process them. not how you reach conclusions. people with 'one of those' tend to understand systems and ideas and logic external to them. their value framework is formed on the inside, applied on the outside
    That's alien concept to me... a value framework, on the INSIDE? What good are values that aren't based on something external? So it's not their logic I don't get, it's their values.
    by your thinking, black slavery was right because black people couldn't think for themselves or look after themselves...so, do you agree with slavery?
    But in this case, it was false that black people couldn't think for or look after themselves, because obviously they can. They just didn't have the option as slaves. My prejudice is against people who've chosen not to think for or look after themselves (because they had the opportunity, unlike slaves).

I don't see how you can compare the two.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

the title of this thread is a little off from what the content contains. Your ideology is impressive but unrealistic. In the real world there are 3 types of people, people who talk about other people, people who talk about current events, and people who talk about ideas. If the world was only composed of idea oriented individuals, your system would probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    What truths would a wise person pursue?
    A wise person would pursue no truths at all.

A wise person would seek to transcend the truths du jour.

A wise person would seek to fight his way out of the conventional wisdom.

The wise person would seek the freshly minted.

Or do a little minting himself.

MBTI
    INTP

(Just to let you know, Victor, I'm not following you, you just happen to pop up in threads that have interesting titles.)
    Quote Originally Posted by coberst
    I do not think that higher education will ever change its role of preparing students to become productive workers and avid consumersóat least until after the revolution...

...If a small percentage of our adults would focus some small part of their intellectual energies toward self-actualizing self-learning during the period between the end of their formal education and mid-life they could be prepared to focus serious time and intellectual focus upon creating an intellectual elite that could make up a critical intellectual element dedicated toward the regeneration of our society.
    I'm a bit confused by this; how do you propose adults focusing those intellectual energies without, you know, promoting higher education to focus said energies? What revolution?

As for the thread title itself, I think it's interesting, so let's try answering the question (as a few prior have begun to do), and refrain from circle jerking around a single idea for too long, because that's what making new threads are for. I think it'd be good to see where the agreements and disagreements are.

However, one clarification: is this about what truths people should pursue in order to become wise, or truths that wise people should pursue? Or maybe the word "should" shouldn't replace the original word, "would", which in case is even more difficult to proclaim without sounding like we understand or are ourselves, in fact, wise?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

The title was what attracted me but the content seems rather unrelated. Let me critique the title.
    1. No one is born wise. It's usually an external and/or posthumous classification. That someone is described as "wise" does not have any effect on the pursuit of truth of that person.

2. The truth is the result of a philosophical framework, an argument of ontology (what are things and what is the nature of their existence?) and epistemology (how can we know that we know?). Philosophers strive to construct such frameworks based (primarily) on reason, and arrive at the truth utilizing these structures on the way. So the construction of these structures are actually of more importance than the truth itself -- if you manage to build them coherently, you'll more or less reach truth, or an interpretation of it. Far more important than an objective, "the only" sort of truth is the formation of a point of view, a perspective, a system of ideas.

By the way, (in response to the argument that brewed underneath) it's kind of unreasonable to suggest that intellectuals' accumulated knowledge should stay with the intellectuals. Modernity and progress, to give an example, are founded on not just intellectuals' own knowledge but also them passing, communicating that knowledge to the lower, more "average" parts of society in some way. Because that's how you change things, not with idealistic dreaming, not with futuristic documentaries or conspiracy theories, but passing ideas down to the majority. The average person might be just that, average, but that's a result of state policy and socioeconomics, not a mechanism in itself. If you're criticising that particular result, good luck arguing with windmills.
    Not really.