User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    44

    Default An honest question about god and his ways

    It's almost cliche nowadays to hear someone say that they are blessed by god in some sort of way. A lot of times when a pro football player gets a touchdown he points to the sky (god).

    This has always perplexed me. As that pro football player is pointing to the sky, thanking god for giving him the strength/courage/opportunity to score that touchdown, there is probably a very smal child about to die of starvation in a different part of the world.

    The same goes for really any person who holds the opinion that their good fortune is a 'blessing' from god.

    I'm not blanketing all christians here, but I do see a lot of this. Why do us American's get so many 'blessings' whereas people in other parts of the world get to scavenge for food. What did they do that was so bad not to get part of these blessings from god? (like financial stability, sustenance and covering)

    So my question is why do some people think that fortunate situations are some sort of reward for their good deeds?

    If god exists, why would he be blessing some people who believe in him and letting others, who also believe in him, suffer and die?

  2. #2
    . Blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    They kicked puppies and kittens in past lives and are paying for it now.

    Karma's a bitch.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

    -----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

  3. #3
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

    In what does true blessedness consist?

  4. #4
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    I'm not religious so I may not answer how you mean but I believe you can see blessings/good fortune in any situation if you chose to, starvation is a horrible problem in some parts of the world but I'm sure there are all sorts of blessings that could be seen if you saw it from a closer perspective.

    I donít suggest that there aren't some seemingly senseless things in the world that can bring pain and suffering, just that what you view as a blessing is dependent on personal perspective. Maybe a child simply being born and living in those conditions is a blessing in someone's eyes. The idea is to be grateful for what you do have.

  5. #5
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    ^I disagree, if you're starving and deprived of the essentials you're without blessing. You don't have the bare minimum or have so little of the minimum that you're in a constant state of worry about how you'll at least sustain that minimum and keep from dying. What kind of life is that? Where is the blessing in that? Some people are fortunate in life and some are not so. "God" doesn't care or he'd change things.

  6. #6
    Senior Member WickedQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    183

    Default

    "Every soul shall have a taste of death, and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. To Us must ye return." (Quran 21:35)

    "Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves, and ye shall certainly hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil, then that will be a determining factor in all affairs." (Quran 3:186)

    "Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil). But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return." They are those on whom (descend) blessings from Allah, and mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance." (Quran 2:155-157)


    My poin is:
    Happiness, sadness, blessed, cursed... All of that are test from God to see how you can handle things and yet still believe in Him. Fortunate situations doesn't always means blessed, and unfortunate situations doesn't always means cursed.


    .

  7. #7
    12 and a half weeks BerberElla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen View Post
    "Every soul shall have a taste of death, and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. To Us must ye return." (Quran 21:35)

    "Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves, and ye shall certainly hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil, then that will be a determining factor in all affairs." (Quran 3:186)

    "Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil). But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong, and to Him is our return." They are those on whom (descend) blessings from Allah, and mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance." (Quran 2:155-157)


    My poin is:
    Happiness, sadness, blessed, cursed... All of that are test from God to see how you can handle things and yet still believe in Him. Fortunate situations doesn't always means blessed, and unfortunate situations doesn't always means cursed.


    .
    So the young girl who gets sexually abused from when she was a child, who finally goes on to kill herself in despair as an adult, fails this test right?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

    DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

    Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

  8. #8
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I'm not religious so I may not answer how you mean but I believe you can see blessings/good fortune in any situation if you chose to, starvation is a horrible problem in some parts of the world but I'm sure there are all sorts of blessings that could be seen if you saw it from a closer perspective.

    I donít suggest that there aren't some seemingly senseless things in the world that can bring pain and suffering, just that what you view as a blessing is dependent on personal perspective. Maybe a child simply being born and living in those conditions is a blessing in someone's eyes. The idea is to be grateful for what you do have.
    I answered Sabastious' question with a question, because his question assumed that suffering and death precluded God's blessing, and, perhaps, he also thinks that blessing consists in the absence of suffering.

    Whereas Job was forced to endure much suffering before he could say: "I had heard of you with the hearing of the ear, but now my eyes see you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes."

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ^I disagree, if you're starving and deprived of the essentials you're without blessing. You don't have the bare minimum or have so little of the minimum that you're in a constant state of worry about how you'll at least sustain that minimum and keep from dying. What kind of life is that? Where is the blessing in that? Some people are fortunate in life and some are not so. "God" doesn't care or he'd change things.
    What are the essentials? Is the preservation of physical life the end in itself? Or is physical health and life a natural vitue, a means to the good, the end in itself?

  9. #9
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

    What are the essentials? Is the preservation of physical life the end in itself? Or is physical health and life a natural vitue, a means to the good, the end in itself?
    All we know is the physical life, the rest is left to speculation and imagination... If our life on earth is to be considered a gift by God, should we not be blessed with the means to live free from a constant state of "survival mode" so that we can enjoy ourselves and better the human race?

    If one wants to say that it's God's blessing for your good job, your healthy family, your nice car, your good looks and your impressive talent than it's only logical to say that it's God's withholding in situations on the opposite end of the spectrum.

  10. #10
    Senior Member WickedQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    So the young girl who gets sexually abused from when she was a child, who finally goes on to kill herself in despair as an adult, fails this test right?
    I don't know she fails or not, it's not my right to decide.

    All I know is she's not the only person who gets sexually abused. There are other girls that had much worst sexually abused situation (oh yes, I know some of them) and yet they are survive and move on. She have the opportunity to move on with her life, but she chose to gave up.


    .

Similar Threads

  1. A question about alcohol and singing
    By Red Herring in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 10:51 AM
  2. Questions about Preference and Skill in using functions
    By sticker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
  3. Questions about myself, and your opinions.
    By Serendipity in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
  4. Question about extraverts and contradiction between inner and outer worlds
    By Llewellyn in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO