• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading aura's????

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Oh I wasn't addressing you with the high horse, it was meant in general. I'm part of the pagan community, or I was, and I was raised in a family that worships Science, so I've seen both sides getting pedantic, arrogant and pretty much dismissive and disrespectful of each other. Sad really, as they could learn so much from each other.

Can you give some examples ?

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Oh I wasn't addressing you with the high horse, it was meant in general. I'm part of the pagan community, or I was, and I was raised in a family that worships Science, so I've seen both sides getting pedantic, arrogant and pretty much dismissive and disrespectful of each other. Sad really, as they could learn so much from each other.

woops I get it now, you meant science and spirituality were on the horses.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you give some examples ?

Not sure what you're asking, as I already provided both concrete and more general examples but here it is again, more in detail:

One of the things that Pagans, Spiritualists and New-agers like to work with are stones. Crystals, semi-precious gems, you name it. According to the books on the subject, stones can have an influence on you, and you can use them in different ways. For instance, amethyst is supposedly relaxing, healing, soothing, but also helps increase awareness and is therefore a very good help during spiritual exercises. Why this is, nobody knows. It's just..experiences that people have had with this type of stone, and ancient lore, basically.

Now, when scientists are actually done rolling their eyes at this, some of them are sometimes capable of mustering an interest in (dis)proving these theories and interesting results can occur. In the case of the stones, they found that every stone emits a vibration that is unique to them. They have no clue as to how this vibration effects the human body, but this 'energy' is often what is considered useful to spiritual people. Also, often the properties of the stones are related to the colour it has, and therefore, when you look at the study of colours done by scientists, it has been noted that certain stones have a certain effect on the human mind. Pink makes you tired, green makes you feel relaxed, blue works calming and healing, red makes you angry or passionate, etc etc.

So parts of the stone-puzzle are already solved. Other things that may have an effect are of course the placebo-effect, but also positive thinking, programming your brain to focus by using the stone as a focus, etc etc. These are all hypotheses in an attempt to explain why the stones could produce the effects they sometimes do.

So science can learn where to look for interesting things to research and keep its mind open and be reminded of how limited they still are in what they understand as well as realize that some things that have no explanation, still work, though we don't know how. Whereas spiritualism can look to science to explain the tools they use and therefore be able to use them more efficiently when they do get explained, even in part, as you are more able to use something efficiently when you at least understand it somewhat.

woops I get it now, you meant science and spirituality were on the horses.

Exactly :)

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So science can learn where to look for interesting things to research and keep its mind open and be reminded of how limited they still are in what they understand as well as realize that some things that have no explanation, still work, though we don't know how. Whereas spiritualism can look to science to explain the tools they use and therefore be able to use them more efficiently when they do get explained, even in part, as you are more able to use something efficiently when you at least understand it somewhat.

Not to rain your parade or anything, but please keep your spirituality away from Science at all times.

From the Scientific view, there is no evidence for anything like auras or Aura reading, so we don't believe in its existence.

As for Science learning from spirituality, it teaches us tolerance. but that's about it. Science and Spirituality are two incompatible things, and shouldn't be mixed. Nothing useful comes from it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I doubt the researchers were that retarded, if we can think of these variables, I'm sure they would have done so as well.

Hah, sorry, point I was trying to make is:

Just because we call it phantom effects, doesn't mean they aren't quantifiable. It just means we can't quantify it 'just yet'. :p

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not to rain your parade or anything, but please keep your spirituality away from Science at all times.

From the Scientific view, there is no evidence for anything like auras or Aura reading, so we don't believe in its existence.

As for Science learning from spirituality, it teaches us tolerance. but that's about it. Science and Spirituality are two incompatible things, and shouldn't be mixed. Nothing useful comes from it.

Ahh I see you're a worshipper of the one true God called Science then?

We all have our beliefs, hunny and you're free to practise yours any way you see fit. But don't tell me what to do. Ever.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh and to join in on the other side of the story. I agree with Amar!

And Son of the Damned. Just because something can't be explained yet (if ever), doesn't mean you have to disbelief its existance. How do you think science exands? By having open minds. Not closed ones like yours.

I think there may be much truth about aura's. I just personally belief it is a quantifiable process, one which has not been explained yet by our measure of science.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Ah, sorry Amargith for being so late.

Hmmm, it seems like several of our aura readers are INTJ's, I find that kinda surprising.
Honestly? I don't. We are good at spotting stuff. Paces, behaviours or other things. Maybe it has to do with that. Plus, I personally do believe that people with either an N (Intuition) or maybe an F (Feelings) can do such things more easily than others. But it's just a theory so far. I am still researching.

Does anyone know: are the various pagan/earth-based groups more common or more accepted or more followed in Europe than they are here in the United States?
HELL NO! Say something like that over here, and people will stay FAR AWAY from you. When talking to people about such stuff, they give off that "mental clinic patient" vibe. Ah, good ol' researches.

I can't see auras myself, but I believe it's possible for others to do so. I have an "ability" that I don't like to discuss either because you get tired of arguing with the non believers. You learn that sometimes it's a waste of time, mainly it's with sensors, you learn to communicate with those who are receptive to it.
Welcome to the club. Very true.

Don't get me wrong though, I also believe there's plenty of con artists out there out to make a buck. This also just adds to the skeptic's belief that everyone is faking it.
Excellent point! All those weirdos only wanting to make money sure spoiled a lot for the people who can REALLY do it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No worries girl, I had the Fluffster to occasionally back me up :D

F

FigerPuppet

Was that a debunk?
Cuz You didn't explain the phantom effect....

There have even been claims of Kirlian photography being able to capture "phantom limbs," e.g., when a leaf is placed on the plate and then torn in half and "photographed," the whole leaf shows up in the picture. This is not due to paranormal forces, however, but to fraud or to residues left from the initial impression of the whole leaf.

bom

EDIT: I don't write "bom" out of arrogance; I do it because the forum won't allow me to just post the quotes.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5

What a strange thing to say...

These are pretty broad statements to be asserting...especially for a 'scientist'. Saying things like *'No' evidence* and *'We' don't believe* puts a lot of words into a lot of peoples mouths...

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
In the case of the stones, they found that every stone emits a vibration that is unique to them. They have no clue as to how this vibration effects the human body, but this 'energy' is often what is considered useful to spiritual people. Also, often the properties of the stones are related to the colour it has, and therefore, when you look at the study of colours done by scientists, it has been noted that certain stones have a certain effect on the human mind.

You know, since I first heard of and studied String Theory, it seems I see the idea of these 'vibrations' everywhere. It makes sense. Each stone has a different make-up, with different 'materials', which are made up of different elements, etc, etc. It seems obvious that the 'vibration' would be different for each.

I believe this happens with people too. Some people seem to 'vibrate' on the same wave length, and I think these are the people we're drawn to.

If a person is tuned into these vibrations moreso than another for whatever reason, I don't doubt the possibility that they could 'feel' the essense of another person.

I may as well throw this out there. I relate to the 'keeping the ability close to the chest' comments. I've had a few experiences myself that I can't really explain and when I voice them they seem as if I were making it up, but I know in my heart how it happened. My last experience was when I'd found a book called Practical Intuition by Laura Day. I'd picked it up at the library thinking there might be some interesting MBTI related stuff in it dealing with intuition and gut instincts... and what it turned out to be was a 'training manual' on how to teach yourself to be more sensitive to these kinds of 'extra sensory' things.

Out of curiousity, I began reading through it and working the exersizes. I was about 3/4 of the way through, and had not seen anything extraordinary yet, but its a short book so I was determined to see it through. I came to an exersize whose results scared the crap out of me. I was shaken so much that I never picked up the book again. Essentially the book tells you to run a free-form writing piece, jotting down things that cross your mind... like a stream of consciousness exersize. Then you go back through it and pick out things that seem to appear as a 'theme' within the paragraph. It can be redundent letter sounds, colors, ideas or phrases... whatever strikes you as important about the paragraph. You write down those important things that you see and that is supposed to help lead you to the answer.

In this instance, I had all but spelled out the answer that was given on the next page, and I SWEAR I never looked. Out of a babbling stream of nonsense from noting how I heard the fan, noticed the neighbor coming home, the red lion on a grocery bag... all utter NONSENSE... I had gone back through it and picked out the answer on the next page and written it at the bottom of the paper I was writing on, and it wasn't something common that could be guessed. It was names of horses who had competed in a race many years ago, and you had to try to determine what the name of the horse was who'd won the race.

Its all about wording though when asking the questions... and before writing I had said 'Hell I'd be impressed if I got close to even ANY of the horse names in the list'... and so when I was done, not only did I have the name (minus one letter) of a horse, but I had nearly come up with three other names in the list as well. (And don't be thinking they were common horse names that anyone could have come up with. I promise you, it was bizarre) I had asked the question wrong. I didn't write to find a WINNER of the race... I wrote to find a participant in the race, and came back with a bunch of them.

Moral of the story... I don't doubt that there are people who can tune in to these kinds of things. That isn't the only instance I've had like that, but it is the one that scared me the most.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ah, sorry Amargith for being so late.

Honestly? I don't. We are good at spotting stuff. Paces, behaviours or other things. Maybe it has to do with that. Plus, I personally do believe that people with either an N (Intuition) or maybe an F (Feelings) can do such things more easily than others. But it's just a theory so far. I am still researching.

INTJ's aren't known for their strong [inter]personal skills, or for generally giving a da[r]n about other people. That's why I found it surprising. Please note that most INTJ's that I have met have been physicists, and rather cerebral. "Oh, you walked into the room, I didn't notice, I was too busy thinking about..." kinda stuff

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For our aura readers here, how important is visualization for your practicing or training? I know that's VERY common in New Age, and from my understanding in pagan stuff as well.

I almost never visualize things, and parts of my training very much look down on visualization, Taoism in particular. [note: some taoist groups and practices do use visualization, but not very many from my understanding] 1) "You can visualize blur leprechauns all day long, that doesn't make it true. We call that 'delusion'" 2) Chi flows of its own accord and, unless you really know what your doing, should not be intentionally altered. Those are the two motivations against visualization that I am familiar with.

I'm used to either using breathing [acquire that chi! energize those chakras!], concentration, relaxation, or mental stillness [if your mind does not unintentionally "move", then when you place it on something it stays there really well!]

Also, are any of our aura readers here besides myself not pagan?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For our aura readers here, how important is visualization for your practicing or training? I know that's VERY common in New Age, and from my understanding in pagan stuff as well.

I almost never visualize things, and parts of my training very much look down on visualization, Taoism in particular. [note: some taoist groups and practices do use visualization, but not very many from my understanding] 1) "You can visualize blur leprechauns all day long, that doesn't make it true. We call that 'delusion'" 2) Chi flows of its own accord and, unless you really know what your doing, should not be intentionally altered. Those are the two motivations against visualization that I am familiar with.

I'm used to either using breathing [acquire that chi! energize those chakras!], concentration, relaxation, or mental stillness [if your mind does not unintentionally "move", then when you place it on something it stays there really well!]

Also, are any of our aura readers here besides myself not pagan?

I'm familiar with the concept of visualization and when I first started my training I remember this being one of the basic exercises you need. But it was a piece of cake for me, in fact, I use visualization too often in the real world. It gets me in trouble as it means I'm no longer present on this plane as such. As a kid I wasn't allowed to read in bed, and I loved reading fantasy books. One of the things I used to do was revisualize a story I'd read with some fun adaptations. So I guess it would be logical it doesn't take any effort for me.

Obviously I disagree with the reasons you stated, but I can see where it comes from. If I remember correctly, you also consider visualization during meditation a failure, as the idea is to completely silence your mind whereas visualization would all your mind to entertain itself and I can see some merit in that. Not my cup of tea though ;)

am_i_evil666

Some time ago, when I was in secondary school, a teacher wanted to teach us how to read auras. Apparently you have to put your hand in front of a black background and see what colour surrounds it. I may be very offtopic.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Obviously I disagree with the reasons you stated, but I can see where it comes from. If I remember correctly, you also consider visualization during meditation a failure, as the idea is to completely silence your mind whereas visualization would all your mind to entertain itself and I can see some merit in that. Not my cup of tea though ;)

If by "you" you mean "zen buddhism" then yes. Other traditions generally take a much less dim view on the "middle realms". There definitely are differences in opinion about whether to just pursue enlightenment, or whether to do include that "other stuff" too. Zen is the prototypical hard-core enlightenment first, Tibetan Buddhism is probably the most occult religion in existence. Yogic/Hindu traditions often give more emphasis to those "middle realms" as well, it just depends what you are trying to do and why. "Just let it go" is a common phrase in Buddhist meditation though, especially when referring to "experiences" during meditation.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For our aura readers: can you sense things in the chi/pranic/etheric body per se, or just in the emotional body? I can sense both independently, as well as emotional states via chi flows.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
what about the mental body per se and its contents? This is where I peter out. I can tell if someone has got a lot going on mentally, and maybe how "cold" or sinister they are, but thats about it.

But skipping beyond the mental body for people with really strong "psychic or deeper bodies" I can sense its presence and/or emanations.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For our aura readers: can you sense things in the chi/pranic/etheric body per se, or just in the emotional body? I can sense both independently, as well as emotional states via chi flows.

I'm not trained in the same way you are, but people who feel strong and are happy often have a brighter colour than others. Also, the colour may stay the same but depending on how they are doing, the colour may become more dull or bright.
Also, other colours can be mingled in there depending on how they are doing. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint, however, if someone is ill, where the illness is situated in the body.

what about the mental body per se and its contents? This is where I peter out. I can tell if someone has got a lot going on mentally, and maybe how "cold" or sinister they are, but thats about it.

But skipping beyond the mental body for people with really strong "psychic or deeper bodies" I can sense its presence and/or emanations.

I can tell that too (when I'm paying attention), however, that's not aura, that's just...well empathy in my case. Although...some get like a dark swirl around them then, sometimes, so I guess it does show in their aura. It's almost like a veil. The other thing is beyond me, i think.