User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Oh I wasn't addressing you with the high horse, it was meant in general. I'm part of the pagan community, or I was, and I was raised in a family that worships Science, so I've seen both sides getting pedantic, arrogant and pretty much dismissive and disrespectful of each other. Sad really, as they could learn so much from each other.
    Can you give some examples ?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Oh I wasn't addressing you with the high horse, it was meant in general. I'm part of the pagan community, or I was, and I was raised in a family that worships Science, so I've seen both sides getting pedantic, arrogant and pretty much dismissive and disrespectful of each other. Sad really, as they could learn so much from each other.
    woops I get it now, you meant science and spirituality were on the horses.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Can you give some examples ?
    Not sure what you're asking, as I already provided both concrete and more general examples but here it is again, more in detail:

One of the things that Pagans, Spiritualists and New-agers like to work with are stones. Crystals, semi-precious gems, you name it. According to the books on the subject, stones can have an influence on you, and you can use them in different ways. For instance, amethyst is supposedly relaxing, healing, soothing, but also helps increase awareness and is therefore a very good help during spiritual exercises. Why this is, nobody knows. It's just..experiences that people have had with this type of stone, and ancient lore, basically.

Now, when scientists are actually done rolling their eyes at this, some of them are sometimes capable of mustering an interest in (dis)proving these theories and interesting results can occur. In the case of the stones, they found that every stone emits a vibration that is unique to them. They have no clue as to how this vibration effects the human body, but this 'energy' is often what is considered useful to spiritual people. Also, often the properties of the stones are related to the colour it has, and therefore, when you look at the study of colours done by scientists, it has been noted that certain stones have a certain effect on the human mind. Pink makes you tired, green makes you feel relaxed, blue works calming and healing, red makes you angry or passionate, etc etc.

So parts of the stone-puzzle are already solved. Other things that may have an effect are of course the placebo-effect, but also positive thinking, programming your brain to focus by using the stone as a focus, etc etc. These are all hypotheses in an attempt to explain why the stones could produce the effects they sometimes do.

So science can learn where to look for interesting things to research and keep its mind open and be reminded of how limited they still are in what they understand as well as realize that some things that have no explanation, still work, though we don't know how. Whereas spiritualism can look to science to explain the tools they use and therefore be able to use them more efficiently when they do get explained, even in part, as you are more able to use something efficiently when you at least understand it somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    woops I get it now, you meant science and spirituality were on the horses.
    Exactly
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

So science can learn where to look for interesting things to research and keep its mind open and be reminded of how limited they still are in what they understand as well as realize that some things that have no explanation, still work, though we don't know how. Whereas spiritualism can look to science to explain the tools they use and therefore be able to use them more efficiently when they do get explained, even in part, as you are more able to use something efficiently when you at least understand it somewhat.

Not to rain your parade or anything, but please keep your spirituality away from Science at all times.

From the Scientific view, there is no evidence for anything like auras or Aura reading, so we don't believe in its existence.

As for Science learning from spirituality, it teaches us tolerance. but that's about it. Science and Spirituality are two incompatible things, and shouldn't be mixed. Nothing useful comes from it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I doubt the researchers were that retarded, if we can think of these variables, I'm sure they would have done so as well.
    Hah, sorry, point I was trying to make is:

Just because we call it phantom effects, doesn't mean they aren't quantifiable. It just means we can't quantify it 'just yet'. :p
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Not to rain your parade or anything, but please keep your spirituality away from Science at all times.

From the Scientific view, there is no evidence for anything like auras or Aura reading, so we don't believe in its existence.

As for Science learning from spirituality, it teaches us tolerance. but that's about it. Science and Spirituality are two incompatible things, and shouldn't be mixed. Nothing useful comes from it.
    Ahh I see you're a worshipper of the one true God called Science then?

We all have our beliefs, hunny and you're free to practise yours any way you see fit. But don't tell me what to do. Ever.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh and to join in on the other side of the story. I agree with Amar!

And Son of the Damned. Just because something can't be explained yet (if ever), doesn't mean you have to disbelief its existance. How do you think science exands? By having open minds. Not closed ones like yours.

I think there may be much truth about aura's. I just personally belief it is a quantifiable process, one which has not been explained yet by our measure of science.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Cool

Ah, sorry Amargith for being so late.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Hmmm, it seems like several of our aura readers are INTJ's, I find that kinda surprising.
    Honestly? I don't. We are good at spotting stuff. Paces, behaviours or other things. Maybe it has to do with that. Plus, I personally do believe that people with either an N (Intuition) or maybe an F (Feelings) can do such things more easily than others. But it's just a theory so far. I am still researching.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Does anyone know: are the various pagan/earth-based groups more common or more accepted or more followed in Europe than they are here in the United States?
    HELL NO! Say something like that over here, and people will stay FAR AWAY from you. When talking to people about such stuff, they give off that "mental clinic patient" vibe. Ah, good ol' researches.

I can't see auras myself, but I believe it's possible for others to do so. I have an "ability" that I don't like to discuss either because you get tired of arguing with the non believers. You learn that sometimes it's a waste of time, mainly it's with sensors, you learn to communicate with those who are receptive to it.
    Welcome to the club. Very true.

Don't get me wrong though, I also believe there's plenty of con artists out there out to make a buck. This also just adds to the skeptic's belief that everyone is faking it.
    Excellent point! All those weirdos only wanting to make money sure spoiled a lot for the people who can REALLY do it.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

No worries girl, I had the Fluffster to occasionally back me up
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

FigerPuppet

Was that a debunk?
    Cuz You didn't explain the phantom effect....
    There have even been claims of Kirlian photography being able to capture "phantom limbs," e.g., when a leaf is placed on the plate and then torn in half and "photographed," the whole leaf shows up in the picture. This is not due to paranormal forces, however, but to fraud or to residues left from the initial impression of the whole leaf.
    bom

EDIT: I don't write "bom" out of arrogance; I do it because the forum won't allow me to just post the quotes.