User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Why pray before a meal?

A lot of times religious customs bug me. It seems so artificial and contrived. One that always seems so pointless to me is when people pray before they eat. Why not pray 20 minutes before you eat? Why not pray continuously, daily? Why do people go year after year doing something such as this, only because that's how they were brought up and have always done it? Is it wrong to step outside of that routine or something?

Phantonym

If people do it just because they feel obligated by tradition, then it's just hypocritical.

If people do it when they feel they are blessed because they have food on their table when so many do not, then it is a sign of their character and how they respect their lives.

If you don't feel like doing it, it is your choice and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

MBTI
    ISTx

Well, I'm not religious myself. I don't pray. I'm just looking from an outsider's perspective. It just seems a lot of people think they're committing an error if they don't pray before a meal... I don't understand that.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    It just seems a lot of people think they're committing an error if they don't pray before a meal.
    That's why it's called brainwashing.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 06-10-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Dude, do you know how many chefs/cooks don't wash their hands?

MBTI
    ISTx

*Badum chhh!*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    A lot of times religious customs bug me. It seems so artificial and contrived. One that always seems so pointless to me is when people pray before they eat. Why not pray 20 minutes before you eat? Why not pray continuously, daily? Why do people go year after year doing something such as this, only because that's how they were brought up and have always done it? Is it wrong to step outside of that routine or something?
    That's what I was going to ask you.

I thought if anyone understood it, it would be SJs. I thought this was an example of an SJ thing.

My attitude is that pretty much, I'll pray before a meal if I'm asked to, although I don't agree with it. I don't believe in God but I'll still go along with it so as not to make waves (because it doesn't hurt me). It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

Although I will set the fork on the left, knife on the right if we're having company. Which is equally arbitrary and contrived, I suppose, but I guess I do it so that people will think better of me.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It's like setting an alarm clock to wake up, it's just added to the routine so you don't forget.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That's what I was going to ask you.

I thought if anyone understood it, it would be SJs. I thought this was an example of an SJ thing.

My attitude is that pretty much, I'll pray before a meal if I'm asked to, although I don't agree with it. I don't believe in God, but I'll still go along with it so as not to make waves. It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

Although I will set the fork on the left, knife on the right if we're having company.
    I thought it probably seemed a bit ironic, this thread coming from me; yet again I don't fit the personality of ISTJ to a T. I always test ISTJ though... So, that being said, this ISTJ doesn't understand it but I guess there's a slew of them guilty of it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, some people will do it as ritual, but in general the point is to reflect on a proper perspective of oneself compared to the divine and to the rest of humanity. It helps make some people grateful for what they have, less presumptuous, and willing to give to others in need because it's "god's food" and not theirs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft