• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why pray before a meal?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Yeah it is silly. Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments? Seems to me like people are really PICKY about the gifts and the moments that God hands to them....

also, since God has decided to feed you that day for whatever reason - why do you give thanks to this one decision god makes (feeding you) over the other decisions he makes (not feeding hungry kids in africa) ? A meal is not a blessing; life itself is a blessing. A meal is just the price, or cost, of life.... literally!

Prayer is just silly in general, but praying during particular events is just...... hypocrtical blasphemy.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why before a meal though? Why can't you be thankful for your food at the end of the night, after you've gotten a full day's worth and a happy stomach?

Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments?

Why do you guys assume that people are not? Just because you don't witness these other prayers? Often meals are shared together by families, and the idea is to share the message of being thankful for the food available. Many other prayers can be said in private, including ones about food, but there are benefits to public prayers as well.

Every time I start thinking I'm too cynical, all I have to do is read this forum. Seems like people are ready to criticize almost anything.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah it is silly. Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments?

Who is to say that people aren't? I'm not religious, but I have a lot of family who keep religion close to their heart. They pray every time they leave the house that they will return home safely. They return and pray and are thankful for making it home safely. They take nothing for granted. When someone dies, they are thankful for being one of the chosen ones who were blessed with that person's presence in their life. When something goes wrong, they are thankful for this lesson in humility, to return them to the more important things in life. Some people really are thankful, whether logical or not, and definitely are not hypocritical (in this context).

MBTI Type
INTJ
Prayer is just silly in general, but praying during particular events is just...... hypocrtical blasphemy.

Do you care to explain this? I can buy the first part, if you're so inclined. But wow...unless you pray all the time then any praying at all is hypocritical? So if I tell my wife I love her when I leave for work, I'm hypocritical because I don't call her every five minutes and tell her the same thing? Am I loving her less?

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, this thread is a bit ridiculous. Talk about the type of atheists who give atheists a bad name!

How is being thankful for something a bad thing? Hypocritical? Silly? Brainwashed? I don't understand that, at all.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^lol.

I don't think it's a silly thread... If you do, that's fine. Apparently it makes good sense to some people.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Do you care to explain this? I can buy the first part, if you're so inclined. But wow...unless you pray all the time then any praying at all is hypocritical? So if I tell my wife I love her when I leave for work, I'm hypocritical because I don't call her every five minutes and tell her the same thing? Am I loving her less?

No. I'm saying its hypocritical to pray during the "shinier" moments God gives you, rather than the gloomier ones. When recruits pray in Boot Camp, they aren't thanking God for this joyous moment, they're begging for help, or to be saved.

It's selective praise, rather than pure praise of God's entire gift. That's the hyporcisy. Then again if you think about it, Job was a hypocrit too, he just was fortuante enough never to verbally slander God out loud....

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Prayers of thanksgiving at meals and at other times help one realize the good things they have and builds the necessary foundation of gratitude that allows one to get to know God and deepen the relationship with him.

You should look at God as a friend, and a friend would not mind hearing you in your troubles or your joys, so it's not hypocritical in the least.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
No. I'm saying its hypocritical to pray during the "shinier" moments God gives you, rather than the gloomier ones. When recruits pray in Boot Camp, they aren't thanking God for this joyous moment, they're begging for help, or to be saved.

It's selective praise, rather than pure praise of God's entire gift. That's the hyporcisy. Then again if you think about it, Job was a hypocrit too, he just was fortuante enough never to verbally slander God out loud....

are you saying most people are hypocrites because they only remember God when they are going wrong way on a one way street with their kid in their arms dying and never before? but thats realization of God existence and God doesn't look down upon it....how can we

if you are talking about the people who pray only when in dire need and fail to even acknowledge, much less thank, God in good times...then yes, i agree with you...they are hypocrites

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I thought this thread was about praying before a meal (which I still see absolutely no problem with) - not about people who pray at moments of high drama and never think about it/God otherwise?

I'm still not seeing why praying before a meal could be 'bad'. And for the record, I have never prayed before a meal.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Prayer before meals is focused mindfulness to be thankful for what is in your life.

Qre:us

I wish people still did that. Imagine if all the religious love, money, passion etc. in the world was directed towards the earth and to each other.

:heart:

Every time I start thinking I'm too cynical, all I have to do is read this forum. Seems like people are ready to criticize almost anything.

What, to you, is the difference between questioning and criticizing? Does it change due to the topic at hand?

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
If people do it just because they feel obligated by tradition, then it's just hypocritical.

If people do it when they feel they are blessed because they have food on their table when so many do not, then it is a sign of their character and how they respect their lives.

If you don't feel like doing it, it is your choice and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

I agree.
Also, I wouldn't pray out loud and make it awkward if I was eating with a bunch of non-believers.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Do you know how I give thanks before a meal?

By paying for it with my credit card! Bytchin'!