User Tag List

First 12345 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Yeah it is silly. Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments? Seems to me like people are really PICKY about the gifts and the moments that God hands to them....

also, since God has decided to feed you that day for whatever reason - why do you give thanks to this one decision god makes (feeding you) over the other decisions he makes (not feeding hungry kids in africa) ? A meal is not a blessing; life itself is a blessing. A meal is just the price, or cost, of life.... literally!

Prayer is just silly in general, but praying during particular events is just...... hypocrtical blasphemy.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Why before a meal though? Why can't you be thankful for your food at the end of the night, after you've gotten a full day's worth and a happy stomach?
    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments?
    Why do you guys assume that people are not? Just because you don't witness these other prayers? Often meals are shared together by families, and the idea is to share the message of being thankful for the food available. Many other prayers can be said in private, including ones about food, but there are benefits to public prayers as well.

Every time I start thinking I'm too cynical, all I have to do is read this forum. Seems like people are ready to criticize almost anything.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yeah it is silly. Why be thankful for that one particular moment of that particular day? Why not be thankful for the mediocre moments in life, or even thankful for the bad moments?
    Who is to say that people aren't? I'm not religious, but I have a lot of family who keep religion close to their heart. They pray every time they leave the house that they will return home safely. They return and pray and are thankful for making it home safely. They take nothing for granted. When someone dies, they are thankful for being one of the chosen ones who were blessed with that person's presence in their life. When something goes wrong, they are thankful for this lesson in humility, to return them to the more important things in life. Some people really are thankful, whether logical or not, and definitely are not hypocritical (in this context).

Prayer is just silly in general, but praying during particular events is just...... hypocrtical blasphemy.
    Do you care to explain this? I can buy the first part, if you're so inclined. But wow...unless you pray all the time then any praying at all is hypocritical? So if I tell my wife I love her when I leave for work, I'm hypocritical because I don't call her every five minutes and tell her the same thing? Am I loving her less?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah, this thread is a bit ridiculous. Talk about the type of atheists who give atheists a bad name!

How is being thankful for something a bad thing? Hypocritical? Silly? Brainwashed? I don't understand that, at all.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I suggest we now beat on beat.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I suggest we now beat on beat.
    Naw, I love Beat. But if we ever eat a meal together, I'm totally asking him to lead the prayer.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTx

^lol.

I don't think it's a silly thread... If you do, that's fine. Apparently it makes good sense to some people.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I understand people hating religion, but geez, this seems like the most innocuous thing possible to call people out on.
    It's a small petty example from the larger picture.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Do you care to explain this? I can buy the first part, if you're so inclined. But wow...unless you pray all the time then any praying at all is hypocritical? So if I tell my wife I love her when I leave for work, I'm hypocritical because I don't call her every five minutes and tell her the same thing? Am I loving her less?
    No. I'm saying its hypocritical to pray during the "shinier" moments God gives you, rather than the gloomier ones. When recruits pray in Boot Camp, they aren't thanking God for this joyous moment, they're begging for help, or to be saved.

It's selective praise, rather than pure praise of God's entire gift. That's the hyporcisy. Then again if you think about it, Job was a hypocrit too, he just was fortuante enough never to verbally slander God out loud....