User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default I invite you to pick apart Christianity

Christianity:
    There is one God and He is the maker of heaven and earth and He made us in His image and likeness, male and female with dignity, value, worth, and purpose. He made us to worship. and we chose to sin against Him, to rebel against Him, to disobey Him. As a result we are separated from God and we live under the foolish myth that to some degree we are each our own “god” declaring right and wrong, living our own life, by our own standards. And that God loving came into human history as the man Jesus Christ - fully God and fully man - born of a virgin, and He lived a life without sin though He was tempted in every way as we are. And He went to the cross and there He substituted himself. Our first parents (Adam & Eve) in the garden substituted themselves for god and at the cross Jesus reversed that substitution and substituted himself for sinners. When Jesus went to the cross, He took willingly upon Him the sin of those who would come to trust in Him. That means me, as a sinner, Jesus went to the cross and took upon Himself all my sin, past, present, and future. Jesus Christ, God who was a man, died in my place, for my sins, paying my debt to God and purchasing my salvation. Jesus' dead body was then laid in a tomb and for three days he was buried. On the third day, a Sunday, which is why we worship on that day, Jesus rose in victory over Satan, sin, death, demons and hell. And He commissioned us with the Holy Spirit to be missionaries telling this amazingly good news, that there is a God who passionately, lovingly, continually, relentlessly, pursues us. And Jesus ascended into heaven and today He is alive and well and He is seated on a throne and He is ruling and reigning over all nations, cultures, philosophies, races, and periods of time. He is ruling over moderns and post-moderns, women and men, those who are living and those who are dead, those who have been born and those who will be born and He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords and He is ruling and reigning over all people commanding anyone everywhere to repent of everything, and He is coming again to judge the living and the dead and those who trust in Him will enjoy an eternity in His kingdom of heaven forever and those who do not will suffer apart from him in the conscious, eternal torments of hell.

What are your objections and reasons for objecting Christianity? What do you believe to be true? Do you believe in truth? Do you believe in a god? Do you believe in the God presented above? What about the gospel is so offensive?

If you feel that I completely missed some major piece of Christianity please explain where and how it is important as so far as "salvation" goes.

MBTI
    INTP

Any God that would curse all humanity and send countless billions to hell because two people ate an apple doesn't deserve to be worshipped.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

With pleasure. *cracks knuckles*

Christianity is an oppressive religion in several ways. It discourages individuality and self-expression, and promotes the idea that there is but one correct path and destination in life that everyone should follow. It also encourages discrimination against women and intolerance of homosexuality and similar issues.

It specifically discourages critical thinking and self-determination, presuming to decide your goals and ideals for you, and furthermore compelling you to sacrifice your own wants and needs in life to these.

It is nothing more than a tool of oppression, a virus that infects the minds of otherwise well-meaning people, and causes them to see their oppressive actions towards others as benevolent. It causes them to see injustice and hypocrisy as righteousness. It blinds them to the reality of how they're treating others so much that I no longer hold them responsible for their actions towards innocent people.

I am most disgusted at how they place the words written in a dusty old book over the happiness and comfort of the people around them. They don't care what they do to people who happen to need or want something in life that happens to fall outside the parameters set by that book (which are often unjustified or archaic), they just insist on conformity and self-denial in bondage to those laws as an absolute good.*

*Note that all of the above only refers to the most popular version of Christianity. Alternative sects may vary.

As for my current religions beliefs, I'm Agnostic. I believe there is a higher power, but I'm far more likely to believe it's something like the Tao, than the laughably anthropomorphic dictator Christians call a God.

Also, please note that my and several of my friends personal experiences with Christianity prevent me from being objective on this issue.

Banned

For starters, a loving god wouldn't murder his own son/self(??..the status of jesus is a bit confusing, definitely an identity issue here) or damn his other children to an eternity in hell...

OP, most of us here could destroy this silliness in your sermon in under five minutes, but coffee beckons, so I will leave it to the ones who care.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Christianity might insult your intelligence as proto-philosophical mythopoeticism, although it might also challenge you to take it at the root, engage it sympathetically, and develop it fully into the field of philosophy without losing the sentiments it was originally born from, and instead, refining them through the demands of rationality.

And yes, Christianity resorts to "righteous" Crusades and war and intolerance in its name against infidels and disbelievers ... but then, so has the Enlightenment, although it's intolerance goes by the righteous name of "reason".

Hack, hack at the overgrowth, but can your energies not accomplish more with each gesture? Rather than like the trampling rhino, why not do more like the snake slithering its way through thought-systems nearly unimpeded?
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm glad this thread hasn't been done before.

Buford: Whadayawanna do today, Frank?
    Frank: I dunno, Buford, shoot beers cans off that fence?
    Buford: But that's what we do EVERY day, Frank!
    Frank: But what the heck else are we gonna do with all the beer cans, Buford?
    Buford: You're right, good buddy, load 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    If you feel that I completely missed some major piece of Christianity please explain where and how it is important as so far as "salvation" goes.
    To get right to the point, without even needing to focus on content:

You're presenting a self-contained idea or a theology.
    There's no way to authenticate said theology, nor is it "self-evident."
    Hence, you either choose to believe it as an accurate depiction of the world or you don't -- a discussion of the content is irrelevant to that bottom-line point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    anthropomorphic
    This.

Humanism and the "secular way of life" are derided for a man-centric focus, yet the Christian God is typically perceived as a being with emotions and motivations pretty much like ours. If assigning the creator of the entire universe our characteristics and psychology is not man-centric and, on the whole, completely selfish, I don't know what is.

I subscribe to Christianity. Sort of. That is, in a very liberal sense. I've found a lot of truth in the underlying messages in the Bible, but I treat most of its stories, including that of Jesus himself, as allegory.

But then, I treat other religious texts similarly. They're all distilled wisdom passed down through the ages, and many of them speak very similar messages. It just so happens that our culture allows us ready access to Christian resources.

Regardless of how true the story of Jesus is, it wouldn't hurt to live a life by the example he presented. In the story, Jesus was a man who faced many of the struggles and temptations that we have, yet he lived an exemplary life. Just as, in his own story, Gautama Buddha suffered everyday struggles and achieved Enlightenment, then shared his own experiences with the world so that they may possibly achieve the same, so too has the story of Jesus taught us what we are able to achieve.

And since God "has made us all in his likeness," we all have a piece of the world-changing power of God inside of us, just as Jesus did. That is, we all have the power to reach happiness and to achieve great things for the betterment of the world around us. Hell is detachment from that power--"separation from God," as it were.

That's the interpretation that can possibly make sense to me, anyway. On the whole, my definition of God--that which I actually believe--aligns most closely with Spinozism. This is subject to change as I attain a better objective understanding of the world.

But when "God gets angry when you sin, so you shouldn't do it" becomes our only reason for not doing Bad Things, or if it becomes a reason for oppressing others, we're separating ourselves from the underlying truth, and, therefore, we are separating ourselves from God. Like any other tool, the religion of Christianity can certainly be misused.. I certainly don't have to repeat what Athenian has said. But at least in the allegorical sense, it's been immensely useful to have these ideas shared with me and to have a community atmosphere through open-minded churches and other organizations in which to discuss them and live them out.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Landover Baptist | Where the Worthwhile Worship. Unsaved Unwelcome.

It's like The Onion, but with Christianity. Picking the religion apart in a serious way is easy, so satire/parody might as well be added.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm glad this thread hasn't been done before.

Buford: Whadayawanna do today, Frank?
    Frank: I dunno, Buford, shoot beers cans off that fence?
    Buford: But that's what we do EVERY day, Frank!
    Frank: But what the heck else are we gonna do with all the beer cans, Buford?
    Buford: You're right, good buddy, load 'em up!
    LOL, I know. This subject has been done to death.

But sometimes you just feel like playing whack-a-mole, you know?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    But when "God gets angry when you sin, so you shouldn't do it" becomes our only reason for not doing Bad Things, or if it becomes a reason for oppressing others, we're separating ourselves from the underlying truth, and, therefore, we are separating ourselves from God.
    I think the higher levels of discourse on this topic acknowledge that that's a poor reason to follow God. In other word, the "serious" Christians who have progressed from the disciplinarian variation of the faith to the more positive-oriented ones usually have other reasons for obedience to their faith.

(For example, "This is the best way to live, from what I can tell" or "It has made me a better person and freed me from destructive behaviors" or "If God made the universe, then his way is going to the best and I want to be part of it," etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft