User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'm not saying Paul invented Christianity as we know it as a means to an end. I'm saying it because that's what the evidence suggests.
    *keep talking* *keep talking* *keep talking* :rolli:

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    *keep talking* *keep talking* *keep talking* :rolli:
    Well, you've chosen to believe what you will. I wanted to keep discussing the possibilities, but apparently you have your reasons not to. Fair enough.

Just because it's your truth, doesn't mean it's the truth.

MBTI
    INTP

I invite you to pick apart Christianity
    Why? It's already falling apart.

Sniffles

Well, you've chosen to believe what you will. I wanted to keep discussing the possibilities, but apparently you have your reasons not to. Fair enough.
    I'm here to engage in real intellectual discussion, in this specific case the history of Christianity. What you're presenting here is NOT actual history but random ahistorical speculation.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm here to engage in real intellectual discussion, in this specific case the history of Christianity. What you're presenting here is NOT actual history but random ahistorical speculation.
    Which would practically cover the entire history of Christianity. The only reason we take certain books to be "canonical" were political decisions 1700 years ago.

I don't have to accept that Christianity is more than a bunch of repackaged BS to have an intellectual discussion about it.

Sniffles

Which would practically cover the entire history of Christianity. The only reason we take certain books to be "canonical" were political decisions 1700 years ago.
    Tap the record deck, the needle's stuck again.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

With as busy as I am I don't know when I'll get to dissecting what you said earlier, but your speculations are honestly kind of nauseating to me. With as many conflicts as Paul had with the Romans, confronting them and finally being beheaded by them, I find anyone hard pressed to defend the idea that he was trying to soften Judaism toward the Roman empire.

I just wanted to address something you said to me which seemed to be brought up again - that Christianity was based on Mithraism. What evidence do you have that Mithraism looked anything like Christianity before Christianity arrived on the scene? I know about the movie Zeitgeist and all that but I've also heard that yes, these religions do look alot like Christianity but only because they adopted its themes and not vice versa, and that while they are older they didn't resemble it until after it arrived on the scene.

I haven't looked it up myself yet, but I was wondering with your expansive knowledge on the subject if you knew anything about this or not, and if you can bring some harder evidence to the table regarding it. And not something loosely put together, either.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INTP

from an outsider's perspective, what's to distinguish Christianity as you understand it from any other pagan religion?
    Christianity differs from pagan religions in that its based on universalist principles and concepts, while paganism is based on varied particularisms. That's something all major religions share-particularist religions tend not to do well in competition with universalist faiths, even when no coercion is involved (universalist faiths also have advantages in coercive situations, of course).

MBTI
    INTP

I've not read the thread. From what I understand Christianity would likely not be around today if it were not for Constantine in the 4th century. The Bible did not exist at that point. It was just a collection of books. Constantine said, "Oi, I want 15 copies of the bible now". It was at that point the religious scholars decided what would and would not make it into the Bible. Were these people Gods? They have influenced billions, possibly trillions, of people over the centuries with the words they selected as if those words were "THE" words of god.

Think of all the religions that didn't make it for lack of an influential patron. There are said to be many "heretical" texts from that period locked away in the secret archives of the Vatican.

Vatican Secret Archives

Back then it was common for people to explain everyday phenomena with the supernatural--that was their logic.

Now think of all the crazy religions around today. Scientology being the most obvious one. This is a religion that most people dismiss as wacky. A lot of those people believe among other things that Jesus walked on water and Moses parted the red sea.

Knowing what we know about people. Is it possible that one or more of the religious scholars that put the the bible together was a self-loathing "Pasture Ted" with a penchant for buggery:

Ted Haggard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the difference between God and Santa Claus? As children grow older they are encouraged to stop believing in Santa but may be encouraged to increase their belief in God. People have a powerful built-in need to explain things. We have achieved great things because of this built-in curiosity. I think religion is an anthropological side effect of that need to explain. I don't think it's a bad thing. Lots of good things have side effects. Overall it was definitely worth it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

My reason for objecting Christianity is because what I've read in the bible. I can't believe everything that is written in there, to me it seems too much of a fairy tale to be even close to any truth. There are so many contradictions in the bible, and to be honest some very disturbing things as well such as allowing rapes, murders, slavery etc. The bible was written by man, man is corrupt.

Also Christianity follows Ancient Egyptian Mythology a little too closely if you really look into the similarities.

The question on if I believe in god or not is something I sometimes struggle with. But logically I believe in mind over matter, if you are praying for strength no one hears you but yourself.. but I think that in having faith that somebody is listening and helping behind the scenes.. it makes that person feel as if they are suddenly stronger and better. But really I don't believe from any will but their own.

However, as far as being a good and loving person with my own set of morals.. THAT is something I can follow and believe in.. not this nonsense I was taught was a sin to ever question.
    “Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.”