User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who was Jesus?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Son of God (in the traditionally understood evangelical sense)

43 37.72%
  • A very good and wise man.

22 19.30%
  • Definitely more than human... but nothing else can be said with clarity.

7 6.14%
  • A man tapped into the "ineffable Greatness" of the cosmos/universe.

3 2.63%
  • A idiosyncratic nut.

9 7.89%
  • It is unclear whether Jesus actually lived.

21 18.42%
  • Jesus existed, but it's unsure whether he was human or "more than human"/godly.

9 7.89%
First 89101112 Last

Thread: Who Was Jesus?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I never beleived in Santa, the easter bunny or really Jesus.
    Define believing. Since you put Jesus on the same level of the easter bunny and santa, it seems as though you imply that you never believed that Jesus existed or at least never existed as documented.

Maybe he was just some guy who was nice and tried to convince other people to be nice and people made a big deal about him- who knows?
    Kinda like Newton was just some guy who was good at math, and Kant at philosophy, and Darwin at speciation? What about Socrates or Plato? Why don't people who glorified these people elevate them to the status of God, if Jesus was a man like these? (I have given examples of people who were before Christ, so no one can say that "well, back then people were stupid and delusional, that's why")

I have enough trouble beleiving that if there is a god it cares about us. All I know is that way too many people die arguing about things like this!
    "If God cares about us, that implies that Jesus was not merely a man. Which makes it hard to believe that Jesus was just a good guy." Is this what you meant?
    God may be defined as the being than which none greater can be concieved.
    I have in my mind the possibility of God.
    -The God exists in the mind and not in reality.
    -But if such a being that exists in the mind and reality is greater than in the mind and not reality.
    -That is a contradiction!
    Therefore, it is not the case that the being exists in the mind and not reality.
    Restated, if the being exists in the mind, then it exists in reality.
    ----------
    God exists in reality.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm an agnostic who beleives that if there really is a god it hates us anyways and wouldn't be interested in procreating with a human to produce some sort of Superniceman or anything. I grew up going to church and sunday school and bible school but I can never remember at any time thinking that anything in the Bible was true. Sorry, but religion never made much sense to me- I'm glad for the people who are religious because that gives them some form of comfort and I don't try to change their minds, but I still haven't encountered a religion that makes sense to me.
    I'm sorry if my views offended you in any way.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm an agnostic who beleives that if there really is a god it hates us anyways ...
    I have always wondered how powerless god must be if he actually does hate us... because honestly, while my life is not perfect, well, it could be a LOT worse.

(Re: "I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have always wondered how powerless god must be if he actually does hate us... because honestly, while my life is not perfect, well, it could be a LOT worse.

(Re: "I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream")
    Precisely.

That story is why I don't fear death nearly as much as immortality...what a pissed-off god could do...ugh.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I AM JESUS, for Gods' sake.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

It was hard for me to vote on this one. But I chose the last option.

I consider myself a Christian, which in my mind and my church's mind means "follower of Christ." Yes, I believe in his words and wisdom while the exact nature of his being is a mystery to me. I grew up as a Christmas and Easter Lutheran but I think my mom just took us to church then because of the nice decorations for those holidays and perhaps the tradition. Other than that there was no talk of religion in our home. We had religion once a week at school even though it was public school. I became facinated by the historical Jesus and studied on my own. When I met my husband who wasn't particularly religious either for some strange reason after going to churches with friends we decided to start going.

To make a long story shorter, I think that there is a God, Jesus was a real person with a purpose. Was he God himself and therefore one aspect of the Trinity? I have no clue, and I've decided that it doesn't matter. Why do I go to church? Because of the way it makes me feel. Everytime I go, I feel somehow 'fed' and even if almost everything that they preach is pure speculation, it doesn't matter. I don't feel I'm wasting my time. Strangely enough, my ENTJ husband accepts more of the traditional philosophy than I do, because he says 'if you have to suspend all logic, you may as well go all the way.'

So back to the original question - I'll call him the Son of God, his purpose was to spread the Word, but I doubt he WAS God, or related in any sort of way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The following is meant be humerous nothing more, nothing less dont overeact. And if you are offended by it please counsel your own for maybe its not as strong as you thought. Enjoy...

SDMF

MBTI
    INTJ

Sorry, but religion never made much sense to me-
    Im glad that it doesnt! God isnt about religion. Religion is man made. God is all about relationship.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LaFeeVerte View Post
    Im glad that it doesnt! God isnt about religion. Religion is man made. God is all about relationship.
    What kind of relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFeeVerte View Post
    Not that canard. Protestant Christianity might not be ceremonial or ritualistic but it is most definitely a religion.