• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Oho! Now it's people with moustaches that you hate!

Boy, I never knew all this about you, Sahara. :D

Lol beards <<shudder>> moustaches Meh. ;)

That is probably why I brought up my final point in my last post -- the argument seems to be more about the nature of Biblical composition and authority. (i.e., what sort of weight is given to scripture?)

It's an interesting point in terms of the nature of faith -- since the Bible merely claims itself as an authority, just as the Koran does, and one has to take a particular application of it on faith.

I agree, and with Christianity I have no idea, much as I have been trying to find out, what weight is given to the scripture (I think I am slowly getting the hang of it), because as I told you the quran is THE authority, homosexuality can not be allowed ever in islam.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
mustache_championship_09.jpg

edit: Sorry, Jennifer, I realise you are trying to do a serious discussion, but I was just looking at the "Bigots" and was like, wtf?

For some reason I see that pic and I think "Father christmas after a thrilling ride out on his sleigh" (the windswept look) lol

Sorry Jennifer, last off topic post from me. :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry Jennifer, last off topic post from me. :blush:

Oh, I don't care.

I just threw the poll results up for a lark and never expected such a quick and furious response.

O

Oberon

I agree, and with Christianity I have no idea, much as I have been trying to find out, what weight is given to the scripture (I think I am slowly getting the hang of it...

Christians are by no means all on the same page on this matter. Approach to the Bible is one of the principal ways in which Christian sects are divided.

lastrailway

Christians are by no means all on the same page on this matter. Approach to the Bible is one of the principal ways in which Christian sects are divided.

The bible isn't supposed to be the word of God, or something? Or at least divinely inspired?

O

Oberon

The bible isn't supposed to be the word of God, or something? Or at least divinely inspired?

Some of the "Christians" are not considered Christians by other Christians over precisely this issue.

Some consider it "...the word of God...," some consider it "...divinely inspired...," and some consider it "...something."

You want to field this one, Jennifer?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of the "Christians" are not considered Christians by other Christians over precisely this issue.

Some consider it "...the word of God...," some consider it "...divinely inspired...," and some consider it "...something."

You want to field this one, Jennifer?

I would like to, but I've got to interview someone, then head to an appointment. If you would like to explain in more detail and let me mark it all up later, go ahead!

(Or maybe Ransomed has some ideas on it too? It's fair game. :) )

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually ity's not necessarily unbiblical... I read something about how this passage: Leviticus 20:13: "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." could simply say that penetrative sex is unbiblical, but as long as that doesn't happen it's ok. That does seem a rather resonable interpretaion, because of the line about how is it was "as one lies with a women" and being a lesbian isn't mentioned at all. Really, as usual, religion is all about interpretation.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think discipline in this context probably means removal from whatever ministry position they are in and having to undergo some kind of counseling program and serve a probation period afterward before they are restored to their position with full privileges.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is where "Sola Scriptura" becomes the sticking point. I, along with most of the Episcopal church, which many protestant sects consider The Gay Loving Church, personally do not think of the book as the whole of the faith. Yes, it is a valuable source of insight and history, and yes, I revere the book and the machinations people have gone through to compile and preserve it. But I don't consider it to be infallible, and I don't view what's inside it in a vacuum.

When I was seeking, I was especially moved by what our priest said about the Episcopal approach to faith. They call it the "three legged stool," of scripture, tradition, and reason. Reason! Is okay! This was one of my first experiences with reason being a valid part of the spiritual walk, and not considered the devil's influence.

She also said something that still resonates with me today: "There's plenty of room at God's table." Exclusionary worship just doesn't sit well with me. People's private lives are their own to manage. It's not my job to sit in judgment. In a practical sense I can protect myself and my family and others from harm in whatever ways I can, but where there is no harm, it's officially "not my business."

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
She also said something that still resonates with me today: "There's plenty of room at God's table." Exclusionary worship just doesn't sit well with me. People's private lives are their own to manage. It's not my job to sit in judgment. In a practical sense I can protect myself and my family and others from harm in whatever ways I can, but where there is no harm, it's officially "not my business."

How do you define harm? If your children chose to become muslims, for instance, would you see that as harmless? They probably wouldn't be hurting anyone, after all, and their private lives are their own business. Aren't they?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How do you define harm? If your children chose to become muslims, for instance, would you see that as harmless? They probably wouldn't be hurting anyone, after all, and their private lives are their own business. Aren't they?

Sure. Privately, I'll be honest, I think I would be sad about it. But when they're adults they can be whatever religion they want. Not my decision. (Until then, I have responsibilities for my minor children that I don't have for Joe Christian or Joe Priest, so I take more of an active role with them beyond what's outright harmful.)

Now, if that change came with cultural baggage that I consider to be harmful, like if my granddaughters were going to be subjected to FGM, you bet your sweet ass I'd step in.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Sure. Privately, I'll be honest, I think I would be sad about it. But when they're adults they can be whatever religion they want. Not my decision. (Until then, I have responsibilities for my minor children that I don't have for Joe Christian or Joe Priest, so I take more of an active role with them beyond what's outright harmful.)

Now, if that change came with cultural baggage that I consider to be harmful, like if my granddaughters were going to be subjected to FGM, you bet your sweet ass I'd step in.

Do you believe in hell?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey! I thought this thread was about gay pastors, not the afterlife!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That would explain it then. ;)

So do you believe in heaven? If so, do you believe in exclusion from heaven? Do you believe in an afterlife at all?

Honestly, I think it's folly to pretend we know any of that stuff. I would rather just live my life the best I know how, afford others the freedom to do the same, and see what goes down after the big chill.

And it is because of that that I don't have a problem with gay clergy! (To bring it back around for Jen.) To be fair, I also don't really have a problem with people who have a problem with gay clergy. That's why God or Martin Luther made the different churches. :hug: