User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hey! I thought this thread was about gay pastors, not the afterlife!
    Sorry, I had to P.

Actually, I was going somewhere with that, but Ivy neatly derailed me with her wily universalism.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Sorry, I had to P.

Actually, I was going somewhere with that, but Ivy neatly derailed me with her wily universalism.
    Out of curiosity (and latent P) where were you going with that? Were you making a case for believing that harm will come to those who don't conform to our beliefs, and the justification for stepping in on those grounds?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Out of curiosity (and latent P) where were you going with that? Were you making a case for believing that harm will come to those who don't conform to our beliefs, and the justification for stepping in on those grounds?
    Meh. Arguing with a theistic agnostic is no fun. My motivation went Bloop. Sorry.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Meh. Arguing with a theistic agnostic is no fun. My motivation went Bloop. Sorry.
    Happy to be of service.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Oh I agree that it doesn't fit with the Church, it's modernism changing religion to suit a new morality, which is ace but if the bible is against homosexuality, and that's your preference, why then would you still want to be a Christian, and follow a god who doesn't want you?
    I suppose it depends on the brand of Christianity that you subscribe to. For example one church might say, "If you can follow these rules, then you can be in. If you cannot then you are out."

Another church might say, "No one can follow all of these rules. Therefore if you want to be in, then you're in. If you don't want to be in, then you are out (but we'll be happy to have you if you change your mind)."
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

By my best understanding of the Bible's teaching, which I consider authoritative, active homosexuals shouldn't be pastors.

That doesn't mean I support legal opposition to same sex unions or that I think each church shouldn't be able to make up its own rules about membership and leaders, that's just how I feel about it.

I wish it were otherwise. I know gays I'd rather be pastored by than some of the straight pastor's I've known.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Authority has no meaning in this context. A book gives no moral right to any particular act (I hereby declare Godwin in effect; Mein Kampf...?).

The choice is made by an organisation to exclude certain members. Those lines are arbitary, based upon the text that supports them. They could be drawn up across race, sex, height, age, money and eye color. Far as I am concerned, an argument on behalf of any of these factors is an argument for all. I do not believe that to be a moral stance; therefore, I do not believe the concept of eliminating moral upstanding community figures based upon any of the lines that could be created.

And considering the... contribution... of many pastors, I think if a line is going to be drawn, one might want to start with more distinct moral issues.

As far as the transitioning "unbible" to "I didn't say it was not moral", I feel that it must either be claimed the bible is not a moral book and that it exists as an amoral text for this to be valid. Otherwise, it is a moral book, and therefore makes homosexuality immoral. It is either authoritive or it is not; it is either God's word, or it is just another book. If it is just another book, then it, and whole community, is indeed bigoted and cannot hide behind it for excusing their actions or their beliefs. And if it is, then... Well, I would conclude the exact same thing, actually, just including God in their for good measure... but at least under those conditions, one has an excuse for behaviour they would not otherwise accept (as above, simply replace homosexuality with the "card" of the day... like it does every few decades).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Moved "Who was Jesus?" posts here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft