User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Would a peaceful world have a single army?

This question can lead down several tangents. I am interested in all of them. Sorry J's, I have no more to offer in the way of directions, just follow it where it leads you. I am posing the question now, and I will post my own opinion in a while because I am curious about what you have to say first. Would a world that had come to an agreement, that peace and diplomacy is the answer, need an army? Would it have one? Two?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

The world would have one big "police" force and there would be a whole bunch of secret armies/militias out in the deserts and jungles. I would also try to start my own militia.

Sniffles

"Though all under heaven be at peace, if the arts of war be forgotten there is peril."
    -Chinese proverb

Long story short: yes it would.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Here are lines of thought:

If peace appears as a choice, then opportunities where it will not apply will always present themselves. In any case, even believing that peace is the answer will lead people and countries to war and failure of communication in the name of an ill conceived peace. For example, if my thoughts get rowdy, sometimes in the name of peace I can tell my mind to shut up, but this does not promote any real peace.

Other things that come to mind is that the individual will always perceive the need to preserve itself even in the absence of threats, simply because that is implicit in an individuality claim, so a minimal self-defense force would seem likely for countries, even where countries all get along. It is simply implicit in an individuality claim. To not consider self-defense appears to be based on a nostalgic desire to return to innocence, but that "innocence" would largely negate individualities, and it should not be forgotten that this amounts to the negation of consciousness and thus death. So it is a kind of mirage to chase this innocence. It is very viperous.

If the question considers the number of countries, it is not relevant. If the United States were the only nation, the states would still have differences like countries. If Colorado were the only inhabited area of the planet, there would still be city-states, and each would be inclined to their own militia. Each would, just as now, have their own political individuality. If Los Angeles were the only inhabited area of the planet, there would still be the politics of the neighborhoods. If a neighborhood, the streets. If a church, the congregations. If a company, the departments. If a family, the individuals. And so on. Division is implicit ... and it is good. There is no pessimism here.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

your resident asshole

I would think it would have an army "just in case" something bad happened, like an enemy from some unknown place. Who knows? Aliens may exist, and some people are totally cut off from today's civilizations. Plus, you might need police forces from smaller possible mishaps.

Sniffles

A common mistake people make when considering issues of world peace is to assume it's some kind of permenant state of affairs.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A common mistake people make when considering issues of world peace is to assume it's some kind of permenant state of affairs.
    A single army would be difficult to rally against, though, no? And for the sake of ending peace?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Banned

A truly peaceful world wouldn't need even one army.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yes we would. Peace exists in principle, not in the hearts of man.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    A single army would be difficult to rally against, though, no?
    No not really. That's what "Asymmetric warfare" is all about really; confronting and defeating a more powerful enemy by exploiting its weaknesses. It's pretty much now the dominant form of warfare since the end of WWII, and has exploded with the end of the Cold War. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are contemporary examples of such.

And for the sake of ending peace?
    Look at how how fast 50 years of peace collasped in 1914. In fact this occurs quite frequently in history.