User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

There is god as a myth, mythology is godless, godless mythology is god centric, egocentric gods manipulate the universe.

Chinese whispers are assumptions too...

But then the universe is godawful, you can't breathe out there without a space suit. God could be an intricate solipsism that wants to treat sophism with tea, I can't help you, I think I used to drink agnostic wine or tea, I just forgot which fence I spring from, gestation is a lemon like the back of a pregnant universe with monkey magic appeal.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    No, but thank you. I just want to know what god is today. Jesus is dead and the oldest religions in the world don't consider him god (and never have) anyway. I'm not disputing whether we should try to live our lives in a manner consistent with the way the man lived his life, but that's really a separate question. I'm interested in the existence of god/gods.
    Point taken. I am not a Christian, but Jesus the man does intrigue me and I believe in much of what he talked about as far as practical living. However, Jesus as the Son of God truly is another conversation entirely. If you want to stay on the topic of god, I would like to join in on this if I may.
    I am not one of those people who claim to have direct insight from God or anything like that. I just have to go by what I feel. In my feeling, morality and ethics seem to validate some design. Would you say that morality is something above basic biology. By this I mean that the brain chemistry we act upon may not need morality to operate efficiently. However many people live morally principled lives in order to form better relationships. This seems to be a "higher" purpose. What do you think? Does this indicate god in any way?
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Banned

I can certainly see the appeal of this position, and I think it is one that many people find compelling. Unfortunately, for me, the reproductive ecology model in conjunction with what anthropologists refer to as "collective action" answer the question of where morality comes from equally well. As soft-bodied primates we rely on each other for survival. We must work together. It's how we're made, biologically. Keeping this in mind, we can see the necessity of developing certain "moral" positions. We can't successfully "run amok" as individuals. Every single moral position we maintain works to promote our survival at the species level. Even altruism, the one behavior that many people of faith like to invoke as a counter-example to this position, works to promote the survival of H. sapiens as a species. We cannot be okay with hurting one another or being entirely selfish because, if every one of us worked this way, we would be done for in a few short generations. The necessity of moral paradigms is very much a biological phenomenon, just like the drive/need to love. I definitely agree that it isn't basic biology however. The mechanisms are very complex and cannot be understood (or understood well at least) simply by invoking a single, one-dimensional model.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Rather than rehashing all the same old arguments against the existence of a god, how about those of you who believe that a god/gods exist tell us what exactly is in your head/heart/gut/arse/whatever when you think about god? This word "god" has no real semantic content for me, so when I hear people talk about god I find myself wondering about the (Fregean) sense of the word. What does "god" pick out for you? I'm not at all interested in hearing about the greatness of your god or what your god does for you. I want to know what it is. I know many of you who have a belief in a god are familiar with the arguments against its existence so, if possible, please try to avoid the jargon that you know will cause the atheists around these parts to jump on your case(s).
    How many gods do you want? Where do you live, in ancient Greece?
    The multiple gods were abolished long ago. St. Paul did a wonderful job.

God is one and only a he drives a car. He lives in Stepford. He votes Republican.
    His grandfather was in the Klan.

I think this was the essential.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Anyone know anything about Maitreya?

MBTI
    ENtJ
    Enneagram
    8w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Answering without referring to any particular deity or religion:
    "God" is the perfect completeness that all humans strive to achieve. From the dawn of time, people have wondered if there was a start to the universe and how it came about. Many religions say that before creation, there was nothing, or only one perfect something. That one perfect something is "God." Supposedly, from it came everything. It was a One that split into a Many.
    From a psychological point of view, humans suffer a similar fate. Theoretically, newborn children are perfectly whole and do not have egos, superegos, ids, shadows, etc. As they grow up, however, they develop all those things, and their conscious mind is separated from their unconscious self. The ego, the conscious mind, is only a very, very small fraction of the Self, the One.
    Humans realize that they are not whole and that the universe is not technically whole, assuming it had a beginning in some perfect nothing or something. That gives birth to "God." "God" is the Whole, the One, the lost perfection that is somewhere in the world and in us. It's the collective unconscious of the whole human race and the theoretical reason things are the way they are. It's the spirit that people believe must be in everything. It's something we use to answer questions we don't consciously know we have.
    "Yet, the right act
    Is less, far less, than the right-thinking mind.
    Seek refuge in thy soul; have there thy heaven!"

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful-pessimist View Post
    It's the collective unconscious of the whole human race and the theoretical reason things are the way they are. It's the spirit that people believe must be in everything. It's something we use to answer questions we don't consciously know we have.

Pleased to see someone who speaks my language.
    Welcome to the group.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

To me, they're an inspiration. A rolemodel if you will. A guide. Much like a wise man giving you the confidence and knowledge you need to get through life, guided by their wisdom.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by ADISCIPLE View Post
    Anyone know anything about Maitreya?
    Is that why your user name is ADISCIPLE--
    A disciple of Maitreya?

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

God?... Hmm... What a wonderful theory!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!