User Tag List

Thread: language of god

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default language of god

Given the recent parlance over the existence of God, I'd figured I'd introduce a book on the subject. It's called The Language of God by Francis Collins. It's an easy enough read and can be interesting. It's Collins' personal story of belief and disbelief as he lays out several issues involved in the matter. I'm reading it right now and it's not bad for anybody. FYI Collins directed the Human Genome Project, scientific research of some note.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFP

This reminds me of a wonderful quote from Nietzsche, in Beyond Good and Evil pt. IV.

"There’s something fine about the fact that God learned Greek when he wanted to become a writer—and that he did not learn it better."

What is it Collins sees as the language of God? The human genome?

To me, math always seemed the closest. It is the only precise way to describe things - regular language is muddled.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    This reminds me of a wonderful quote from Nietzsche, in Beyond Good and Evil pt. IV.

"There’s something fine about the fact that God learned Greek when he wanted to become a writer—and that he did not learn it better."

What is it Collins sees as the language of God? The human genome?

To me, math always seemed the closest. It is the only precise way to describe things - regular language is muddled.
    It doesn't exclusively call on the genome project for proof. It's an exploration of different ideas and arguments from several perspectives accompanied by pieces of Collins' own personal history. Mathematics and other sciences are also discussed along with the genome. I think the title is what it is to atract readers.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    It doesn't exclusively call on the genome project for proof. It's an exploration of different ideas and arguments from several perspectives accompanied by pieces of Collins' own personal history. Mathematics and other sciences are also discussed along with the genome. I think the title is what it is to atract readers.
    This sounds like an awesome book, I'm going to have to pick up a copy.