• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Question For Believers

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, if i were wrong. But it would have to be undeniable proof that I was wrong not just possible evidence based off of implied evidence or what not. Oh, and did I mention that I'm not wrong. :) Might be closed minded. I just call it faith. I nice little paradox to you, that really isn't one to me. Life's full of things like that. Things that seemingly don't work together on face value, but do under the surface.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The question is so hypothetical (since it can never really be accomplished) that most people can't give it serious consideration.

Yeah, this.

But this forum revolves around hypothetical questions. I post here to provide the occasional dose of realism. ;)

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't have a specific belief, but hypothetically If you had concrete proof of no intelligent design I would want to know. I agree that some people would NOT want to know because it would darastically change their lifestyle and would send them into an downward spiral of confusion.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I would want to know. Then I can become buddhist without any conscious baggage :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, if i were wrong. But it would have to be undeniable proof that I was wrong not just possible evidence based off of implied evidence or what not. Oh, and did I mention that I'm not wrong. :) Might be closed minded. I just call it faith. I nice little paradox to you, that really isn't one to me. Life's full of things like that. Things that seemingly don't work together on face value, but do under the surface.

A lecture on seeing under the surface of blind faith...from a religious ISTJ?

I've scheduled "lessons in completing goals on time...from an ENFP" for next period.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Lady X said:
yes, of course.

yes, of course. :)

This is like the "can God create a rock so heavy he can't move it?" question.

In a sense. The trouble is that one's conception of God is phoenix-like. You can disprove it only insofar as you can "kill" a phoenix. It will only rise from the ashes, stronger, whatever philosophical stages or attitudes this involves. This shouldn't appear controversial. Even an atheist can agree with this. Simply, what is fallacious is discarded, and the remainder is purer. But since it is not immediately obvious that the fallacy can be separated from the notion in question, a threat to the former appears as a threat to the latter, and so you see how people can become overly defensive, and abuse words like "faith", as though to make it stand as a bulwark against reason (which is straightforwardly unreasonable). Once they bite the bullet, and the system comes crashing down, they find that the majority of it actually works just fine ... better than ever, in fact! It is through such trials one becomes stronger in their (dare I say) "faith"/"reason" in the truer sense of the word.

apropos: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."

ENFJ_Catholic

MBTI Type
ENFJ
A Response

To answer the original question: yes. It's important to seek out the truth in all ways and manners possible... and justly judge accordingly...

Now to ask a few questions of my own! :popc1:

People with enough faith really don't care what "evidence" accumulates going against their belief, since faith is not about drawing conclusions but rather about believing despite lack or accumulation of evidence. They'll figure simply that your evidence is wrong or that ultimately they'll be shown to be right even if evidence now points otherwise. "Evidence" is irrelevant and, really, it only gets dragged in by believers so that they can defend their faith against antagonists or to use as a lever to "force" someone else to believe.

It doesn't surprise me anymore, but I spent a lifetime in that environment. I think the first time I got that response, though, it blew my mind.

I'd want to know... but like I said, there is no possibility of someone giving "definitive for all-time proof," so it's hard to even process the question.

What do you mean by "people with enough faith" don't listen? Are we talking the how's of life or the why's? I truly believe there's a difference there. Faith and Science (Reason) don't necessarily have that far a distance apart in my mind.

Faith without Reason is dead (Middle Ages[!!!]), and Reason without Faith is lost (The French Revolution, anyone??).

We must stop thinking of science being antithetical to an informed faith. The two spheres are not seperate worlds, have not entirely been, nor should they be.

I don't understand how, being a Christian and a searcher of Truth, it would be okay to answer "no" to the original question. But, then there's the thought that it is/will always be impossible to prove that God is not real.

Agreed, but is not an open world view give an allowance to conjecture on the Unknown? What would be better, an "open world" view of the world or a "closed world" view? Cannot being a "searcher of Truth" fall into this open world view...a consistant and methodical questioning of both the how's and the why's of life? Is this not science and faith within their respective realms?

Nietzsche would have answered "no!". It's a question of intellectual freedom.

Ah, Nietzsche!! The lightning rod name for theists everywhere! :doh:

Intellectual freedom and religious freedom, in fact, do go hand in hand. So much so, the lever Jennifer calls for by those of "enough" faith need not apply. For which I say: "To each their own... (and free will for all!)"

And what of free will? Let's get to that now... :smile:

You first define the object in question. Then you look to see if that definition is self-contradictory. If it is, that object can't exist.

For example, an object that is both a circle and a square cannot exist because it's definition is self-contradictory. However, a flying pink space unicorn CAN exist because it's definition is not self-contradictory.

It so happens that the most common definition of god is self-contradictory. Omnipotence and omniscience cannot coexist, therefore a god who supposedly possesses both attributes cannot exist.

Meatbot, could you explain how omnipotence and omniscience cannot coexist? Is this the "grounding" exception? :thelook: Is this a point to where we can even answer whether time's outcomes can be changed or new truths be discovered? Can we disprove time travel while we're at it, then? Is everything a static world? No...it's an evolving one. This is why the open world assumption is far superior to the all-or-nothing of the closed world view.

I'm trying to wrap my head around your point here...this is no challenge, just a query. Thanks.

Jennifer, I hope that wasn't a lever to "force" anything on you (or anyone else for that matter)...I'm merely trying to get to the bottom of this with everyone...together. :hug:

ENFJ_Catholic

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well stated, antireconciler. Well stated! :hug:

(John 15:1-2)... Unfortunately so many "faithful" forget this chapter of the Gospel of John... :(

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think it'd really matter either way.. to be honest, it's kind of fun not knowing. I don't believe in a Christian god, but I do believe that there is something out there. Topic for another day though..

Meatbot

MBTI Type
INTP
Meatbot, could you explain how omnipotence and omniscience cannot coexist? Is this the "grounding" exception? :thelook: Is this a point to where we can even answer whether time's outcomes can be changed or new truths be discovered? Can we disprove time travel while we're at it, then? Is everything a static world? No...it's an evolving one. This is why the open world assumption is far superior to the all-or-nothing of the closed world view.

If you are omniscient, you KNOW what you will do tomorrow. That means that you can't change you're mind and do something else. If you can't change your mind, you aren't omnipotent. If you could change your mind, then you were wrong earlier when you thought you knew what you'd do - and then you wouldn't be omniscient. They are self-contradictory.

In order for the a given definition of god to be possible, you'd have to remove so much of his power as to make him not worthy of the title. He'd just be a really powerful but limited being.

You can disprove time travel if you can show the definition to be self-contradictory. But as far as I know that has never been done.

I would say you don't have enough information to determine whether the universe is static or evolving. It may just appear to be evolving.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
..darastically change their lifestyle and would send them into an downward spiral of confusion.

I've been through this once. I was afraid to question my belief because I'm afraid that doing so is a sin(now that I see it, it seems quite ridiculous).

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't find the answer of "no" to be surprising at all. The fact that one is religious at all indicates that one does not necessarily have omniscience at the top of their hierarchy of needs. People are religious because God plays a role in their life and fills a need. If a religious person knew God did not exist and it caused a major depression and a sudden drop in the quality of his life, why would he want that? I understand that some people hold the need to expose truth as paramount over everything else, but many people hold a more nuanced view of the role of truth.

For instance, would you want to know that your father who you love is not your real father? Would you want someone to tell you that Santa Claus was not real when you were five years old? These are similar questions to me, and the answers are anything but universal. Not all truths are useful truths.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'm not a believer, but if someone posed the opposite question to me, the ability TO prove existance with no doubt whatsoever left in my mind, I would like to hear it. I'll admit I may experience a little buyer's remorse at having the mystery taken away but that would be a small cost.

I may be rather vocally pro-atheist, but I'm not opposed to the notion of God.

I don't find the answer of "no" to be surprising at all. The fact that one is religious at all indicates that one does not necessarily have omniscience at the top of their hierarchy of needs. People are religious because God plays a role in their life and fills a need. If a religious person knew God did not exist and it caused a major depression and a sudden drop in the quality of his life, why would he want that? I understand that some people hold the need to expose truth as paramount over everything else, but many people hold a more nuanced view of the role of truth.

I'd say this is perhaps the number one reason why religious folks will tend to dismiss that which science can prove, if findings infringe upon their beliefs while providing little material benefit. Evolution for example is fairly easy to dismiss as the benefit of accepting it is slim to none, but the penalty of shifting ones values carries a cost.

ENFJ_Catholic

MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you are omniscient, you KNOW what you will do tomorrow. That means that you can't change you're mind and do something else. If you can't change your mind, you aren't omnipotent. If you could change your mind, then you were wrong earlier when you thought you knew what you'd do - and then you wouldn't be omniscient. They are self-contradictory.

In order for the a given definition of god to be possible, you'd have to remove so much of his power as to make him not worthy of the title. He'd just be a really powerful but limited being.

You can disprove time travel if you can show the definition to be self-contradictory. But as far as I know that has never been done.

I would say you don't have enough information to determine whether the universe is static or evolving. It may just appear to be evolving.

Thanks for the clarification, and the acknowledgement of an open world view of things.