• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in a God?

Do you believe in a God?

• Yes

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Other threads on this channel have inspired me to ask this question. Do you believe in a God? This God can be of a specific religion such as Christianity, or can be Nature, Scientific rules, an Initiator, whatever. I will start by saying I believe in a God. :coffee:

juggernaut

Permabanned
Sounds like you're really interested in what people think.

Where's Blackmail! when we need him?

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sounds like you're really interested in what people think.

Where's Blackmail! when we need him?

I am! I love listening to people. I did not post this thread for argument, I just want to hear your ideas, how you came about them etc. People that say they don't care bother me, but I think deep inside they care. So I'm done, everyone reply.

93JC

Nope.

And if there is one he/she/it ain't gonna give a damn about what I think of he/she/it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm unsure as to how someone can not care about themselves and their own personal opinions. If you don't care about a God existing or not, I agree that this thread shouldn't attract your attention at all. The fact that it does suggests you want to voice an opinion of some sort.. and you have to have an opinion to sport one.

I do agree that "I don't know" should be an answer choice. Some people are in a state of limbo, where they are challenging prior beliefs, or transcending old thinkings based on new experiences.

I voted Yes. I've stated my belief before.. I'm big on balance within the world, and within ourselves.. I have a, not quite clockmaker aspect on above, but closer to the analogy. My closest name for my religious beliefs can be described as Pagan.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not know if I believe in "a God."

Seriously? I have probably given my don't know more thought than most people's definitely knows.

juggernaut

Permabanned
If I knew what the hell we were talking about I'd give you an opinion. In the meantime "I don't know" and "I don't care". I made the suggestion simply because there are several folks on this board that feel either one or both of these things. This subject comes up at least once every couple of days and the same debates ensue with lots of us landing quite squarely in the "I don't know" category. If you want to force people into a binary be my guest, but you're not going to get accurate results.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ADISCIPLE, are you going to proselytize in this thread or what??

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

I usually make a typical joke right about now saying that should I ever be proven wrong, I'm gonna smack him/it in the face. But I don't expect that to happen.

No pretty much sums it up, and I can't imagine being happier with any other 'belief'.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I do. I don't see how imagining the universe just magically, spontaneously came into being by a "big bang" is any more rational than thinking there is a divine intelligence behind the design.

I am a very liberal Christian, and do not think that science and religion are mutually exclusive.

My spirituality includes respect for all living things, including plants and animals.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely don't believe in a God. If there are Gods or other higher beings (which I consider a possibility), I think there must be more than one.

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
ADISCIPLE, are you going to proselytize in this thread or what??

What does that mean exactly?

Listen guys seriously, if you don't like the thread that's fine. This thread was completely unselfish, if you want to say I don't know, or I don't care, I guess that is fine.

I wanted to hear from people who could answer yes or no (for what THEY personally believe). I am interested in hearing of your coming abouts to what you believe.

Did you used to believe and now you don't? Why what happened?

Did you used to not believe and now you do? Why what happened?

Have you always believed? Why?

Have you never believed? Why?

I really don't want to have anything to do with this thread but learning more about the people posting. If your desire is to critique and expose the thread poster I can't do anything about it but I think it slows down the process. I hope this can carry on more efficiently. Thank you and I apologize for not making it more simple for the rest of you folks, I really do. Please proceed.:coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
Zeus and Poseidon

Other threads on this channel have inspired me to ask this question. Do you believe in a God? This God can be of a specific religion such as Christianity, or can be Nature, Scientific rules, an Initiator, whatever. I will start by saying I believe in a God. :coffee:

I don't believe in Zeus or Poseidon.

And I must admit I have never been asked to give any evidence of why I don't believe in Zeus or Poseidon.

It seems everyone know why I don't believe in Zeus or Poseidon.

And absolutely no one has called me an atheist or an infidel for not believing in Zeus or Poseidon.

However if I don't believe in Allah, I am called an Infidel. And I am told that when Islam gains world power, I will be given the choice to convert to Islam or be murdered.

And naturally, if I don't believe in the Trinity, I am called an atheist and called upon to justify my atheism.

So naturally I find it more convenient, not to mention safer, to disbelieve in Zeus and Poseidon.

ez78705

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, I do. I don't see how imagining the universe just magically, spontaneously came into being by a "big bang" is any more rational than thinking there is a divine intelligence behind the design.

I am a very liberal Christian, and do not think that science and religion are mutually exclusive.

My spirituality includes respect for all living things, including plants and animals.

Before an existence of anything, there was nothingness, right?

Thus, at some point between nothingness and existence, something happened. Now let's just assume that we don't know whether it was a god or a big bang or anything else. But suppose that it was either a god or a big bang that came to exist from nothingness and caused everything in the universe to exist, which one do you think makes more sense? Was it a god or a big bang?

Of course, any answer to this question cannot be proved in any way. You can only think about it.

But even if someone would believe that there is no god, it does not mean that there is no reason to respect living things. There are other reasons to respect living things besides existence of god. Having said that, I do respect people who believe in god as well.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Any idea, no matter how crazy, can be burned into the unconscious so long as it is presented convincingly, repeatedly, and at an early age. Even those who grew up in atheist households still said "under God" in the pledge every day, still saw "In God We Trust" on the currency he held. Still socialized with those who did believe in God or at least acknowledge the possibility. If God is not one of the common "Judaic" Gods, then he is no God we have contact with in any way. Without these ideas burned through our skulls as a society, as a planet, we would concieve the notion as ridiculous, because there is no reason for a conscious God. There is no evidence. Sure, Biology is complicated to we mammals. Sure, Astronomy is complicated to us as well. But those truths point to no God in any way. We presume to know the ultimate nature of that which we admit to knowing little about.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP

Was it a god or a big bang?

Of course, any answer to this question cannot be proved in any way. You can only think about it.

But even if someone would believe that there is no god, it does not mean that there is no reason to respect living things. There are other reasons to respect living things besides existence of god. Having said that, I do respect people who believe in god as well.

It is disheartening that you have to point this out. That God is percieved by the masses as something good, and so that which is without God is bad.

Of course you are right, there are a million reasons to respect living things based on that which we can know! But the fact that you mentioned this shows that you agree with me on this point: there are people who never thought about that.

Mole

Permabanned

This is merely an illusion because nothingness means there is nothing there.

But to speak of nothingness gives the illusion there is something there - but there isn't.

This is called sleight-of-hand and is a confidence trick.

And the gods and miracles and heaven and hell are simply confidence tricks like MBTI itself.