• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in a God?

Do you believe in a God?

• Yes

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters

Mole

Permabanned
I believe in the Triune God of the Bible as He has revealed Himself there and in nature. I have believed since I was 8 years old and my faith has never changed, even though I closely examined other religions, cults and faiths.

Do tell me, Journey, do you believe in MBTI?

Mole

Permabanned
No. Any god with a name and a description is made up by man. If there are gods, we wouldn't know anything about them.

And if we know nothing about them, we are believing without evidence - any evidence whatsoever.

And I know of no evidence whatsoever for Zeus or Poseidon, so what's to stop me from believing in them?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Always throw your first fish back, or Tangaroa won't give you any more, that's what I believe.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
All i know are the evidence around me. That for every life we know, theres something else above it. We know that the universe is huge, we are only playing our ignorant card if we think that theres no superior life form than us. Trying to prove theres a god is like an ant trying to prove theres human. They lack necessary tools/senses to detect us. Why would it be any different higher up? Of course we pride ourselve with our tools and technology, which could be our doorway to understanding. But i think the gods were thinking of is no more of a creator than human creating the ant in the ground. And they could probably care less about our prayers. So i believe in higher life forms, but not a all knowing god. You could probably call them gods...but i think they could care less.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2 thoughts to add purely for the sake of argument:

1) I feel compelled to offer the typical response to the Intelligent Design theory: who is to say this Creator is benevolent? If anything, it seems more evident with all the shitty things going on in the world, that this creator is indeed malevolent.

In regards to intelligent design the argument itself logically can't claim that the creator is benevolent or not, it's just whether it was intelligently created. Beyond that I step into unknown realms that are harder to prove and much more personal in a sense.

2) The complex scientific theories of the universe that you dismiss are my religion of sorts. I am in awe of universe and its elegant symphonic self-design, its immense size and strange nature, its calculable rational, and yet its unpredictability and the unfathomable odds which must be overcome to create something such as life or consciousness. These are the things I can believe and trust in. These are my miracles, and I don't need a deity to explain them, because science does that for me. Beyond that, I cannot say for sure what there is out there. I don't deny your beliefs, I just want to stress that one can observe the extraordinary miracles around oneself and not use traditional religious belief to explain and understand it.

I understand your views. I see science in a slightly different light is all.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Serious question: are there any differences between God and Zeus/Poseidon/other ancient gods besides the name?

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I apologize if this gives you a negative impression. I feel short, direct responses provide the best feedback of one's thoughts.

Ha, I don't have a negative impression of you at all; it was just an observation. If anything, I appreciate your fairness and precision.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Serious question: are there any differences between God and Zeus/Poseidon/other ancient gods besides the name?

Well, they behave differently. They have different personalities. Zeus and Poseidon existed at the same time, (I guess they still do) and were acquaintances, so they could not be the same. Is this what you meant?

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yea, the idea of them or them specifically/individually. There are a lot of differences.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
ODo you believe in a God?

Good question.

From a rational perspective, I can neither demonstrate nor disprove the existence of an overentity/'God'.

This stasis should not presuppose an inherent conclusion from absence of confirmable data; rather, that the notion of a creator entity does not lend itself to analysis otherwise used to define our physical world.

Presently, empirical testing alongside independent critique is our best way to transform bundled hypothesis into observable theory, as it seeks to define phenomena unfettered by superficial intervention (cultural bias; errors in calculation; broken/exaggerated data sets) that would otherwise reduce objectivity.

From a spiritual standpoint, I can say that the concept of an omnibenevolent force is a comforting thought to consider. Curiously, the same human discomfort in uncertainty that gave rise to present scientific clarity also parented historical/contemporary persistence of religious culture.

Religious faith is a series of personal beliefs concerning the supernatural reality of our shared existence. It often focuses on creative 'celestialism' (life was 'authored' by a third party, rather than progressive sophistication in biological process). It's typically an artifact of one's culture of origin (where you were born against what you believe) and generally seeks to moralize human behavior.

As the data itself is not falsifiable, we are unable to expose faith-based reasoning to the same clinical testing we can of observable information. Instead, belief is incumbent on the will of the faithful. This difference in material format does not offer definitive conclusion on the value of the data set, only that it does not have the same chemical makeup as scientific terminology.

---

Logically, I don't know that the question makes much sense to creatively ask, beyond an exercise in abstract exploration of value system. What this ultimately means to anyone else is irrelevant; people pick-and-choose what they believe on an individual level.

I can say that I'm spiritually optimistic that a creator entity exists, and that I am hopeful that life - as an ideal - is not simply a facet of neurological 'consciousness'.

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Good question.
---

Logically, I don't know that the question makes much sense to creatively ask, beyond an exercise in abstract exploration of value system. What this ultimately means to anyone else is irrelevant; people pick-and-choose what they believe on an individual level.

I can say that I'm spiritually optimistic that a creator entity exists, and that I am hopeful that life - as an ideal - is not simply a facet of neurological 'consciousness'.

This entire post I really enjoyed reading, and admire your thoughts. Now that some people have dismissed this thread which was intented I think I can get what I want from it.

To share my belief (without imposing it). I learned to believe in a God during the worst time of my life and have watched it turn into a great life. I find a life with a God amazing, worthwhile, and down right fun. I wish to share this just because others might be brave enough to state something on their belief or point of view, especially the people that believe in a God, you shouldn't be afraid tell of your life with a belief in a Spiritual power, if it makes your life more enjoy it, you should share it, because not many people do. I don't have a specific religion, I don't want to have one, because the God that I know doesn't see the reason for segregation in the first place.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes I do because He talks to me every day, guides me in life, and helps me with every little thing I bring to Him - nothing is too small for Him. I could never ask for a better friend or father. He was not kidding when He said "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer 29:11" He has done exactly that plus more for me, and it is so neat that He thinks about, plans for, helps, and loves little ole insignificant ME. I love Him with all my heart :wubbie:

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yes I do because He talks to me every day, guides me in life, and helps me with every little thing I bring to Him - nothing is too small for Him. I could never ask for a better friend or father. He was not kidding when He said "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer 29:11" He has done exactly that plus more for me, and it is so neat that He thinks about, plans for, helps, and loves little ole insignificant ME. I love Him with all my heart :wubbie:

Some Christians are really interesting to me. I have known quite a few in my life and still do mainly because of my present location in the country, but most of which I seriously dislike. Some like you though, really get it. I have read the Bible before and I made myself do it without and biassed, because I definitely have some. And I think most Christians completely bypass the book and completely turn it inside out. To me a lot of the book is just common sense. Old Testament: If a nation operates this way, they get blessed, If they operate another way they get tested or even punished eventually. If the individual commits a related minor act, there are consequences for that as well. New Testament: Providing a model life to live by in a society applicable to today in some extremes. The man lived, loved, and brought peace to people.

I also read alot about Buddha, and I love his philosophies as well.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I believe in a higher order and purpose that is beyond my comprehension. Is this God? If not, I don't know what else is.

A higher order that you(we) don't understand does not imply god. Purpose may imply god. but isn't that the existential question? What is your or my purpose? How is that determined? It's easy if you presupppose a higher power, not so much if you are willing to suspend your fear that you may simply not understand, or be up to the task of understanding, or that there are things that are simply unknowable, at this point or forever.

This, to me, says that religion is an answer to existential anxiety. We require a higher power to alley the intense anxiety of an unfathomable void, that is unconcerned with my consciousness, despite my belief that I am somehow important.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some Christians are really interesting to me. I have known quite a few in my life and still do mainly because of my present location in the country, but most of which I seriously dislike. Some like you though, really get it. I have read the Bible before and I made myself do it without and biassed, because I definitely have some. And I think most Christians completely bypass the book and completely turn it inside out. To me a lot of the book is just common sense. Old Testament: If a nation operates this way, they get blessed, If they operate another way they get tested or even punished eventually. If the individual commits a related minor act, there are consequences for that as well. New Testament: Providing a model life to live by in a society applicable to today in some extremes. The man lived, loved, and brought peace to people.

Hmmm, I think you miss the point in some of the standard theologies as well as those of ThinkingAboutIt. It seems to me as if there is a relatively standard theology behind that statement. I could be wrong, or maybe I live in a world of abnormal Christians...

I don't think the bible is just simply good teachings. I also don't think you have to turn it inside out and round about. It's rather cut dry in many ways. In others it is not.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
A higher order that you(we) don't understand does not imply god. Purpose may imply god. but isn't that the existential question? What is your or my purpose? How is that determined? It's easy if you presupppose a higher power, not so much if you are willing to suspend your fear that you may simply not understand, or be up to the task of understanding, or that there are things that are simply unknowable, at this point or forever.

This, to me, says that religion is an answer to existential anxiety. We require a higher power to alley the intense anxiety of an unfathomable void, that is unconcerned with my consciousness, despite my belief that I am somehow important.

I don't know what to tell you. To me a higher purpose is indistinguishable from God. Purpose and order, in the sense of meaning, is metaphysical. God cannot simply be a being such as myself, so if there is a God, He must be as incomprehensible to me as I am to a termite.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes, the bible has much common sense and wisdom in it. The book of proverbs is really great; and even if someone is not interested in it as a christian, it can help them tremendously in life. But, a christian that doesn't read the bible is a ship without a sail or paddle because the Holy Spirit speaks to us through it.

I am not here to preach or condemn others for their non belief or differing beliefs, but I am excited about Jesus, and you are getting me going, so you'll just have to deal with it :D I can't contain the joy I have because I KNOW how awesome He is. Jesus has proven His love for me over and over and over; He has literally chased me down several times and when something is in my best interest, and I don't want to do it, He will bug me until I do :) He truly does help me with every little thing, has invested Himself in me in many ways, gently teaches and guides me, never laughs or judges me for my stupid or childish moments, forgives me when I am totally bad, lifts me up when I am down, provides financially and meets all my needs, helps me in my career, healed my mother from stage 4 cancer that filled her entire lung but she never lost a hair on her head and never had a problem breathing - I could tell you a zillion things He has done for me and all are WAY beyond anything I actually deserve; I will never be able to return or repay Him for them; and I wish I did even a small percentage of what He does for me. I think about Him all day, every day. Being a christian is who I am - it's lifestyle. That doesn't include perfection though for sure! Yep, Jesus has my heart and my life, and He's powerful enough to ensure it for eternity! :yes:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know what to tell you. To me a higher purpose is indistinguishable from God. Purpose and order, in the sense of meaning, is metaphysical. God cannot simply be a being such as myself, so if there is a God, He must be as incomprehensible to me as I am to a termite.

Order is different than purpose.

Chemistry is highly ordered, but this fact does not imply the divine to me. Maybe it does to you...There are many things in nature that humans do not understand, but we will, given time.

But Purpose? Meaning? Those are metaphysical, and ultimately unknowable, except if you decide that not knowing is unbearable and bring in GOD, as security blanket for incurable solipsism.